Cultivated Reef

20xL mixed rimless - SELLING?

d9hp

i may have to take you up on your arduino code offer..

Tank is looking great,

Id watch that gsp tho,

That thing will take over your tank within a year.

Not so much with low nutrients :P mine hasn't budged in almost two years.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've read so much about how gsp is a problem, etc etc -- I think it looks amazing in your tank.. the lighting, the contrast, the location -- it really does pop out in the pictures

Thanks Wilioli...it's definitely growing so I'll keep an eye on it.

i may have to take you up on your arduino code offer..

Not so much with low nutrients :P mine hasn't budged in almost two years.

PM your email and I'll send you the whole file. It's broken down by task (temp, ATO, feeding, lighting...etc) and commented pretty well. I had the idea of making it available to everyone but no one really seemed interested. The offer stands for EVERYONE though. I don't mind explaining bits and pieces if you're hung up either. Nothing fancy going on though!

Amazing tank. I'll be tagging along!

Thanks Jae. Wish I had the coraline growth you do

sweet tank,

im gonna steal it

As long as you leave enough $$$ behind for me to build the 14'x3'x2' tank I want to replace it

Appreciate the compliment

get some birdsnest in there already! ha

I have THREE different birdsnest in there! ORA bird of paradise, a brown ugly one, and a green one that isn't really green. I do want some of the green kind like you have though. I have a spot for it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all:

NCSU%202%20Logo.jpg

29-25 AT UNC YESTERDAY! GO PACK!

Tank related --> The occelaris and percula I had in the tank were bickering last week and the larger, more attractive occelaris bailed. Went sailing. Didn't make it. Made the jump.

So I took the little percula back to the LFS and picked up two larger occelaris clowns they had dubbed 'Mochas' but they look like regular tank raised ones that are just a little darker than most. They were in a tank without any lighting but they seem to be adjusting fine and eating well. They swim together constantly and it has really changed the tank quite a bit.

The acan was pissed all day. Didn't come out at all so I moved it under some light and to an area with little flow. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Did a 2 gallon water change this afternoon.

Overall, the tank looks the best today it ever has. The big frag expo is in two weeks and I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully going to get a red planet frag and a green digitata.

Apparently it's going to be a bit bigger this time than it was the last time I went by. There's lots of hobbiest with $5 frags there. I am definitely going to be getting some goods as I just got a job...and it's my Christmas present :D

I am definitely going to be there at 12PM sharp though. Don't want to miss the good stuff. Some of the vendors bring fish, inverts, etc as well. It's basically like visiting the world's best/cheapest LFS but you can only go once every few months. Here's the location etc:

ReefSMART

December 4th, 12pm - 4pm

Wake County Commons Building

4011 Carya Dr.

Raleigh, NC

Here's the list of vendors/people bringing frags and if you look through the pages there's a few pictures of what people are bringing.

http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/forum/reef...oll-please.html

Let me know if you can make it down man. I'm house sitting that weekend but I'm definitely going to be there. Way too cheap to miss it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tank is doing well. I'm either getting a little dino or brownish cyano in a few certain places in the sand. They're gone in the morning and appear immediately after feeding the tank. Might just go a day without lights and food if it doesn't stop. Nitrates still read 0.

Ordering the 'mixing kit' from marine depot sometime soon. Got a job and figured a refractometer might not be such a bad thing to own.

Updates this weekend most likely

Just lost another damn clownfish to jumping.

Going to Lowe's. Building a top. $@#^!!!!!

Not thrilled...but can't let this keep happening.

Oh well.

whats ur plan for building a top?

I just followed this thread idea for a window screen:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=212941

I made a section to fit around the AC70 and the skimmer/auto-top off/temperature sensor area. There's really only a 1x2" section that a fish could jump through and the fish never go back there because there is so little room. I have a little more work to do to it (I'd like to get a clear mesh with larger openings).

5212021846_6a04904877_b.jpg

You thinking about doing a screen top like solana owners do?

I don't know what they do but I'm sure it's similar to the above?

It's really not THAT bad but it certianly won't stay on when I'm home to enjoy the tank. It just really detracts from the rimless look and feel. I'm just tired of seeing dried up fish on my floor though. Not fair to the fish and it's certainly not fair to the wallet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't had time to get good pictures of anything but I did pick up a tiny little cleaner shrimp since they had some black Friday deals. Pardon the iPhone picture.

5211421805_e9c3a2f72a_z.jpg

mind snapping a pic or two of the tank with the screen on it? im getting a rimless and its a big fear to loose fish to jumping but i dont want an unsightly top on it. did us use the acrylic "pegs" to keep it on or just place it on top of the tank?

thanks for the link!!

No worries.

Thats exactley what they do. The clear netting will look so much better!

Yeah I think so too but I definitely feel much better with it on the tank. I didn't ever worry for the first month but losing two fish in a week will really change your mind. Especially clowns! It would be different if I was losing firefish/jawfish but clowns?! I checked for stray voltage etc and nothing weird is coming up. I mean...my watchman wasn't jumping and I'd imagine he's the most prone.

mind snapping a pic or two of the tank with the screen on it? im getting a rimless and its a big fear to loose fish to jumping but i dont want an unsightly top on it. did us use the acrylic "pegs" to keep it on or just place it on top of the tank?

I'll snag you some shots when I get the chance for sure. This week is pretty crazy with projects...and I start a new job Wednesday!

I don't use any pegs I just rest it on top. It really isn't as bad as I thought. It does't detract from the 'rimless' as much as I had thought it would. If you don't get a top...you'll lose fish. I read it. At least fifty times. Didn't heed the advice. Now I've lost two clownfish and have a top. I honestly don't think an auctioneer could have said so many terrible things as fast as I did last weekend buying and building that damn top. It had to be done though. Now I don't worry about it either. It's there and it's just fine.

Just so you know, you're going to put a top on the damn thing! Do it now and save your money!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I placed a Cyber Monday order with marine depot and got absolutely 0% off everything. Awesome. I really just needed a few things and happened to order on a day that has been coined with some ridiculous bull#### phrase I just learned yesterday through a thousand email subjects I had to read when deleting.

• Salifert kits: Magnesium and Nitrate (my API nitrate kit has NEVER registerd >0ppm, which has got to be off because I have a little algae going on right now and I'm using verified 0TDS water)
  • D-D H2Ocean Salt bucket (small guy)
  • ESV Magnesium supplement (not planning on using much with the new salt but it's nice to have with the other two part I've got to keep things magical.

No real updates except some serious excitement brewing for the big frag swap on Saturday. Hoping to get a brain!

So I placed a Cyber Monday order with marine depot and got absolutely 0% off everything. Awesome. I really just needed a few things and happened to order on a day that has been coined with some ridiculous bull#### phrase I just learned yesterday through a thousand email subjects I had to read when deleting.

• Salifert kits: Magnesium and Nitrate (my API nitrate kit has NEVER registerd >0ppm, which has got to be off because I have a little algae going on right now and I'm using verified 0TDS water)
  • D-D H2Ocean Salt bucket (small guy)
  • ESV Magnesium supplement (not planning on using much with the new salt but it's nice to have with the other two part I've got to keep things magical.

hmm.. interesting -- post what ur nitrate tests with the salifert when u receive it... very interested to see what the difference is

ReefSMART is on SATURDAY!

So pumped!

Anyways, thought I'd post that the algae problem seems to be getting better. Did another 15% change today --> that's three in a row. My cleaner shrimp goes damn ballistic after every change and the last one I had died when he acted this way so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The temp is perfect and pH and salinity. *Forgot to add I bought a refractometer on craigslist for $20.

Matches my hydrometer to a tee.

Here's what I've requested to be held for me so far (these are NOT mine yet ---)

IMG_6260.jpg

IMG_6252.jpg

What do you think?!

Sorry to hear bout the fish D. I used bird netting for my screen frame top, it allows maximum light penetration and gas exchange. Good solid lines to follow when stretching it in, stayed pretty squared with the frame, and you can get it trampoline tight!! Those pics look great, the blasto is really cool. Is the first one a chalice or encrusting type monti? Good luck with the new job man thats awesome. I dealt with hard core algae for month 2-4, really dampens the morale but its part of a new tank i think. I found nothing I did helped, thought I had byprosis, dino, cyano and every other BAD thing I could work myself up over. It will plane-out shortly...I'm sure of it.

Sorry to hear bout the fish D. I used bird netting for my screen frame top, it allows maximum light penetration and gas exchange. Good solid lines to follow when stretching it in, stayed pretty squared with the frame, and you can get it trampoline tight!! Those pics look great, the blasto is really cool. Is the first one a chalice or encrusting type monti? Good luck with the new job man thats awesome. I dealt with hard core algae for month 2-4, really dampens the morale but its part of a new tank i think. I found nothing I did helped, thought I had byprosis, dino, cyano and every other BAD thing I could work myself up over. It will plane-out shortly...I'm sure of it.

Thanks man. I'm looking into ordering some of that stuff. The black just isn't working. The first one is a sunset montipora. I have been looking for one for a while and although it's $20 I'm pretty excited I was able to reserve it first.

Yeah the new job is just a little part time gig during school but it should offset gas, beer, dinner with the lady, and coral money without digging into everything I had saved. Yeah the algae isn't KILLING me or anything but I'm definitely trying to stay on it before it gets out of hand. It actually might just be diatoms and cyano. There actually is some byprosis growing on a powerhead right now so that sucker might get a vinegar bath this weekend.

I love blastos! Do those have a white mouth out if it just the photo?

I think it's just the photo but we'll see on Saturday. Hopefully I can get some pictures of some of the other stuff I pick up.

Hey a raleigh reefer! Tank looks great man! I just moved here recently, where is REEFSMART? I've never been to a swap and would like to check it out.

Archived