SaltCritters.com

ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Aquanist

For the last 2 years now I have pondered about whether I should have some mechanical filtration in this system. And now I have. It even took me whole 3 hours to do starting from the moment I went looking for some paper and measuring tape. :lol:

I present to you dual-200micron filter.

file-21.jpg

file-22.jpg

file-23.jpg

file-24.jpg

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks. They're feasting upon the intestines of two 5 pound pikes I had just gutted.

I don't know why, but I laughed and laughed at this. Then laughed some more.

I went to Roskilde, Denmark a few years ago. I love that part of the world. Everyone is so happy! :happy:

I think I saw an episode of Top Gear once, where they went rally car racing in Finland. It looks like so much fun! I used to drive my piece-o-junk Pontiac Sunbird like a rally car on the dirt-paved country roads here in south central Texas. It had no AC, no heat, but it had a badass hand brake and an awesome sound system. Put on some Rammstein and power slide 90-degree turns at 45 mph. Nothing quite like it. B)

Now as the dualfilter has got some operation hours behind it's belt I think it'd be appropriate to comment on its functionality.

For the 2 first days I had to replace the socks with clean ones every day, after that every other day for two times and now I change clean socks for it every three days. Not too time consuming IMO. I have 10 filter socks in circulation and wash them once per week (or when I don't have clean ones anymore). I know 8mm PVC was a bit overkill on this build but hey, that's what I had laying around so I used it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

And you shall get one soon as I get over my not-so-little cyano problem.

Having a doser pump go haywire and dumping 5 liters of balling A into tank takes it's toll. And having another not-so-little episode of to-err-is-human a month later with the new doser unit controller doesn't really help either (10 liters of balling C this time). :eek:

However, the cyano is now getting a wee bit better after having some MAJOR die-off resulting in nitrates of 100 and calcium/alk going off the scale resulting in more die-off resulting in more nitrates.... Params are now (and have been for some time now) steady and nitrate is 0-3 and the tank is slowly getting it's act back together.

Casualties of this ordeal:

- Acropora echinata (blue)

- Acropora gomezi (blue)

- Acropora millepora (pink)

- Acropora millepora (purple)

- Pods and microfauna (estimated, MOST OF IT!!)

Well I guess these things happen. And I had a good run with it already. And I'm coming back with a vengeance. :lol: GHL computer and more redundancy etc. And I already have something new to replace the empty spots. 2x A. gomezi (blue), 2x A. echinata (blue & green), blue chalice (Echinophyllia/Echinopora? Can't remember) with yellow mouths (I call it "The Swede") and a yellow sponge to be exact. :)

It's live and learn. Dunno yet what I've learned, but humility at least comes to mind.

Days of "CO2 diluted kalkwasser" are behind as I have now finally made my own calcium reactor/dispenser. Basically it's a Tunze dispenser rip-off with inproved design (coke bottle upside down with 2 holes at the top (bottom that is).

The principles behind this are easily illustrated here at AM Kalkstirrer PDF page 2.

This can be used between ATO reservoir and tank, but as I'm more of a careless and clumsy type myself I've dedicated 1 dosing pump channel. I have evaporation of just over 4 liters (roughly a gallon + some) and I'm now feeding 120ml of RO through it every hour (just under 3liters per day).

Sorry to hear about your tank. That's gotta be frustrating. It's great that your able to keep going and not give up.

Far as the reactor, I need this myself. Thanks for the link.

Awaiting an FTS!

Time! Can't be beat! I had more or less cyano for months and only now has it completely cleared up. Also, stable parameters and low phosphates and nitrates.

BActeria will always find its balance in time, so there's really nothing to it. I know its unsightly at times, but hey ho, such is life. :lol:

Archived