Pod Your Reef

ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Aquanist

:rolleyes: He's got zebra stripes, he's an escaped convict, that should be reason enough. I have 2 of these guys MIA since they day I put them in the tank. MY LFS convinced me they would pair with my yasha. Fallenmonkey on this forum is the one that said his terrorist shrimp killed all his fish. So I tore apart my tank twice to get them. Caught one, not sure if he died in the QT I put him in or what but the other one is in my tank somewhere!
  • Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:angry: Well isn't this just effing marvelous!

Channel 1 from my dosing pump controller froze on tuesday, dumping in whole 5l (roughly 1,25 gallons) of liquid A (calcium) while I was at work.. Came home to wonder what was that humming noise.. Found jug A empty (refilled the previous day) and that channel pump burning hot...

The outcome:

Well, I decided on not taking any rash measures as nothing seemed to be really alarmingly off on visual inspection.. Acros were sliming a bit and RBTA was a bit shriveled, so I decided to change the carbon in reactor, which was about due to be replaced anyways, and prepared a new batch of fresh SW..

Following day all seemed fine, and on top of that I now had 2 RBTAs. :) Which was nice. And I'm yet to use the new SW - maybe doing a WC tomorrow with it.

Now I just need to get a new doser motherboard...

Sounds like it shouldn't really be a horrible outcome for u. At least it wasn't Alk or worse.... Reefs at home...always a gamble. And your puting your hard earned money in a bunch of inexpensive mechanical devices. Lol

My thoughts exactly. :) Well I sold the extra RBTA for a reasonably high price and I'm currently in the process of sourcing for replacement doser unit. Or maybe I just get that 4-channel extension unit and only take 1 channel into use and keep the rest 3 as further backup... :lol:

Nice vid. The tank looks awesome. Glad to hear the doser incident wasn't anything too dramatic. Last time my ato went over I had a slight scre cause I use Kalk in m top off. I'm sure your corals will suck that extra Ca up in no time.

I'm using 100% saturated kalkwasser on my ATO as well..

Reefing - what nightmares are made of. However I do have and extra sensor in my display that switches off ATO and return pump. Just in case.. :)

100% Kalk ... Nice. I'm using about 40% but I'm gonna have to bump up my saturation since my corals are sucking it up faster than expected. My current "reefing" nightmare is aefw. Though I think I may have closed the gap on this battle. All infected acros are coming back. Thankfully.

saltwatercoral
Current "FTS":

6c95a2cd.jpg

Feeding frenzy:

9667141f.jpg

Goby pair and if you really squint your eyes you can spot 2 acro crabs as well:

ec604ae5.jpg

I love the colors you have! It realy makes the tank look even better than it already does. Im using your tank pics here as inspiration for mine!

I'm new to the kalkwasser thing, been meaning to add it to my ATO. Any tips?

Ideally you would have separate vessel to saturate water so you're not introducing any precipitated calcium into tank causing pH swings.. When water has cleared up you pump/siphon the clear saturated water to your ATO reservoir. Leftover calcium can be used again as long as it's still clean white and hasn't turned yellowish.. I also add some Mg into the mix just to keep up with the demand in tank.

Personally I add Ca and Mg directly to my ATO reservoir and pump RO on top.. I do have my ATO pump elevated about an inch from the bottom so I don't get that yet to be dissolved part in my tank.

I love the colors you have! It realy makes the tank look even better than it already does. Im using your tank pics here as inspiration for mine!

Wow thanks mate! I really appreciate any input, but it sure feels good to hear something like this. :)

What type of lights are you using? Iv been trying to get my sps to color up. I have LEDs and everything is fine other than sps.

I have 8x54W T5 with mainly ATI bulbs.

5 blue, 2 fiji purple and 1 15000K.

And :welcome: to the forum!

saltwatercoral
With BUGZ!

b4664df4.jpg

What is the little start you took a pic of? Good or bad? I spoted one in my tank yesterday. It was on one of my CUC members when I put them in the tank...

I may have already said this somewhere in your thread but I have to say, your tank is STUNNING. Great coloration on your SPS. Gorgeous and clean. Just fantastic.

On a side note, I am upgrading to something more reasonable for size; a 50 breeder (36 x 18 x 18). I'm thinking of using a Bubble Magus but I am unsure as to whether the 3.5 will cut it for SPS. Do you think I would be better of with the NAC 5.5 or even the model you have (7) though that seems like it might be a bit overkill. Oh, also it will have approx 10 gallons in the sump, and will be very light on rock and sand, and will thus have probably about 50 gallons actual water volume.

nice macros!

Thanks! :flower:

What is the little start you took a pic of? Good or bad? I spoted one in my tank yesterday. It was on one of my CUC members when I put them in the tank...

Quite right. However, I don't quite agree on them eating corals as such. I've never had any problems with them and I've got my fair share of therm believe me. I think it's more like eating off dead tissue.. No science to back this up, but just my questimate.

I may have already said this somewhere in your thread but I have to say, your tank is STUNNING. Great coloration on your SPS. Gorgeous and clean. Just fantastic.

On a side note, I am upgrading to something more reasonable for size; a 50 breeder (36 x 18 x 18). I'm thinking of using a Bubble Magus but I am unsure as to whether the 3.5 will cut it for SPS. Do you think I would be better of with the NAC 5.5 or even the model you have (7) though that seems like it might be a bit overkill. Oh, also it will have approx 10 gallons in the sump, and will be very light on rock and sand, and will thus have probably about 50 gallons actual water volume.

Thanks Acro!!! Really appreciated!

As for the skimmer I'd say you'll be just fine off with that 5.5. The 7 would take up quite a bit of space in 10 gallon sump. Too much IMO. So it's going with smaller skimmer footprint or larger sump. But with my experiences with this NAC7 I'm sure 5.5 would well suffice your skimming needs.

Personally I'd like to go with NAC9, but they weren't out yet when I got mine and how it would just make a tad too snug a fit for my cabinet.. C'est la vie. :lol:

Absolutely beautiful. This is what I am planning on setting up in the new house, but 60"x30"x24"h, staphire, rimless and of course with LEDs over it :)

Absolutely beautiful. This is what I am planning on setting up in the new house, but 60"x30"x24"h, staphire, rimless and of course with LEDs over it :)

Meh. Hi-iron float glass and 2nd hand T5 all the way!!! :P

Looking forward to seeing your build!

Meh. Hi-iron float glass and 2nd hand T5 all the way!!! :P

Looking forward to seeing your build!

Haha, I have to represent!

3 month wait on build for my tank... But gives me time to properly plan everything.

You honestly do have a gorgeous setup, I love the low profile look, the aquascapes and colors. Phenomenal.

Archived