Pod Your Reef

vodka dosing 101

floridian reefer

floridian reefer

yea makes since fuge would not do so good seeing how your taking out what it needs. but if that the only down side....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update This is day 5 dosing had some gha on back glass, dieing and falling off. pineapple sponges, had several before but have increased ten fold. no change in skimmate. All livestock, no change. thats it for now.

Anybody dose sugar? I'm 17 and can't obtain alcohol. and my parents would think I'm nuts if I told them I wanted to put it in my tank... Lol!! I want to know the equivalent Vodka to Sugar measurement...

ex .1ml vodka is equal to x tspn sugar...

explain the chemistry and benefit to them and explain how small of an amount of vodka you need. A shot of vodka will last like two months or more for a nano.

put it in a tupperware container next to your tank. Your parents would have to be crazy to think you were abusing alcohol with .3mL a day...

floridian reefer

week three, doing .5 daily, water crystal clear, skimmate disgusting ;) black and nasty. no more or less gha i can see, no die off in fuge yet. sps lightening up a little amino acids in mail, so far im pleased

Wouldn't having a carbon based filter (chemi-pure, etc) negate vodka dosing? If the carbon is doing what it is supposed to be doing it should soak up the alcohol pretty fast.

from what I've read no. I dont run carbon now anyway.

what do you think the dose would be in an 8 gallon?

the scale I use is .1ml for 25gal this is 80 proof. I guess do the math [cause i suck at it] and get your dose that way.but from what I can find is not great idea for that small tank. you should be able to reach low nutrient system without it. but maybe someone else has better answer. I hope.

Looks like you're right. The reason I asked was because when I worked at an emergency animal hospital we used activated charcoal on animals to absorb toxins in thier systems.

From what I just read though, charcoal(carbon) is pretty poor at absorbing alcohol. Distillers actually use carbon to make their alcohol cleaner, so it's exactly the opposite of what I was thinking.

floridian reefer

Gelbstoff, German for yellow matter, is reported to buildup in aquariums over time. Additions of vodka or other carbon sources have the potential to accelerate the yellowish water buildup from organics. Activated carbon is used to remove it and clear water back up.

Archived