Top Shelf Aquatics

vodka dosing 101

floridian reefer

floridian reefer
cyano, other algae, color loss of my sps...basically a drastic rise in no3 and po4

i wonder if its from doing a big amount once a week, all i ever read about is doing it in small amounts daily.

Agree. I use isopropyl at work. Would not recommend putting it in a reef tank.

MSDS

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924412

very true both of yall seems like nasty stuff.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just started dosing friend and brother have had good results. I read a ton on the subject, couldn't understand half. Im trying it over the next couple months and then back off. See what happens As far as better with it or better without it. I have 80 proof vodka and go buy .1mil per 25g rule. I started my 47 bow at .15ml a day best guess after rock and sand displacement. plus Im thinking a little under instead of over. Going to .2 on Fri. No visible effects good or bad yet. Will post + or - effects as they arise.

just wanted to say that I've been dosing vodka in my BC29 w/ aquaticlife115 protein skimmer for about 3 weeks now and I've had my first 0-results for nitrates and phosphates tests since I got the tank in May.

Started out with .1mL for the first 3 days, then .2mL for the next 4 days, and I've been doing .3mL since then.

I guess my water looks clearer and my rics have been growing like crazy. my LPS and xenia doesn't seem to be growing any faster.

As far as #7 I read thats one reason why its suggested to over skim. Aside from pulling more DOCs you get more gas exchange. maybe this helps

Like the name change buddy

floridian reefer

hoping itll help people

just wanted to say that I've been dosing vodka in my BC29 w/ aquaticlife115 protein skimmer for about 3 weeks now and I've had my first 0-results for nitrates and phosphates tests since I got the tank in May.

Started out with .1mL for the first 3 days, then .2mL for the next 4 days, and I've been doing .3mL since then.

I guess my water looks clearer and my rics have been growing like crazy. my LPS and xenia doesn't seem to be growing any faster.

what was your reason to start dosing? what proof?

As far as #7 I read thats one reason why its suggested to over skim. Aside from pulling more DOCs you get more gas exchange. maybe this helps

thats something i have also read is that the skimmer is needed to pull out all the extra stuff you are creating and it is necessary to put oxygen back into the water while dosing vodka. so dont dose without a skimer! thatll be the next question. good one ozzy

thanks I started b/c I want clearer water, color and growth increase. The proof for me was my bros tank His reef looks better than any of my LFS's.

what was your reason to start dosing? what proof?

had some gha I've been battling since I purchased the established tank. Nitrates could never get them lower than 2.5-12.5 range and phosphates always present.

80 proof

floridian reefer
had some gha I've been battling since I purchased the established tank. Nitrates could never get them lower than 2.5-12.5 range and phosphates always present.

80 proof

thats why i started too, i received a 4+ yr old tank thank had no coral or lights for over a yr, never had a skimmer or fuge and the day after i put lights on it, the war began.

what more are you looking for? just do it yourself jeez.... its not hard and you'll see the benefits yourself

And, you obviously havent read about reaching the dose where your levels are 0. this is the point where you cut back to less often dosings. I have been dosing for several MONTHS, daily, and am just at this point...

floridian reefer
what more are you looking for? just do it yourself jeez.... its not hard and you'll see the benefits yourself

And, you obviously haven't read about reaching the dose where your levels are 0. this is the point where you cut back to less often dosings. I have been dosing for several MONTHS, daily, and am just at this point...

what is your problem? i am seeking information if you don't like it read something else.

you said earlier you dose once a week no you say daily? what is it? and yea you said several months already, i have been for about three weeks like i said earlier i guess you didn't read it all, no i didn't read that you get to 0 and cut back 50%, and still do it daily. i skipped over that paragraph just to hear some ignorant person tell me i obviously didn't read it i just posted link to it on this thread so maybe someone can read it to me. makes sense. try reading everything before you start talking crap. i want to know where you got your information from because everything i have read always says once a day even me you get to maintenance dosing.

what is your problem? i am seeking information if you dont like it read something else.

you said earlier you dose once a week no you say daily? what is it? and yea you said several months already, i have been for about three weeks like i said earlier i guess you didnt read it all, no i didnt read that you get to 0 and cut back 50% i skipped over that paragraph just to her some ignorant person tell me i obviously didnt read it i just posted link to it on this threadso maybe someone can read it to me. makes sense. try reading everything before you start talking crap.

Everything you need is in this thread.

you start dosing very low, .1ml/day for each 25g if using 40%. You increase the dose slowly each day over several weeks while testing your levels. Once you get you to the point where 0 levels have been reached, you are at your ULNS (or ultra low nutrient system). increasing the dose anymore will have no effects. Now you just need to maintain this dose after it has been reached. You will also need to dose amino acids to combat colorloss in the ULNS

And you consider me ignorant? I'm sorry but you are the one who can't seem to grasp a relatively simple thing after various tips and articles were posted. If you read the first article posted, you will see the same thing as I just outlined. Just do what they said in PRESCHOOL, and read the directions... I never talked crap, you just have your undies in a bunch.

You say someone will chime in with some answers, but answers to what freaking question? be specific

floridian reefer
cyano, other algae, color loss of my sps...basically a drastic rise in no3 and po4

ive heard of cyano starting after people stop and the point of dosing is to lower your no3 and po4 so maybe it is from doing once a week?

ive heard of cyano starting after people stop and the point of dosing is to lower your no3 and po4 so maybe it is from doing once a week?

Cyano only forms when people overdose or just mess up and stop dosing. I have no cyano, algae, or anything else nuisance in my tank and I dose once a week... you never fully stop dosing ethanol, only reach a maintenance dose

i checked out your thread and if you dont have a really good skimmer, then dont even consider dosing vodka

floridian reefer
Everything you need is in this thread.

you start dosing very low, .1ml/day for each 25g if using 40%. You increase the dose slowly each day over several weeks while testing your levels. Once you get you to the point where 0 levels have been reached, you are at your ULNS (or ultra low nutrient system). increasing the dose anymore will have no effects. Now you just need to maintain this dose after it has been reached. You will also need to dose amino acids to combat colorloss in the ULNS

And you consider me ignorant? I'm sorry but you are the one who can't seem to grasp a relatively simple thing after various tips and articles were posted. If you read the first article posted, you will see the same thing as I just outlined. Just do what they said in PRESCHOOL, and read the directions... I never talked crap, you just have your undies in a bunch.

You say someone will chime in with some answers, but answers to what freaking question? be specific

the questions on page one, i guess you missed them too.

and this is why i want peoples opinions, every body does it differently. your instructions are different than the ones i go by.

1. Test your system's NO3 and PO4 levels. Do not dose if you do not know this! We recommend good test kits that have some low level of sensitivity. This will be important later on to determining a maintenance dose regimen. During the initial dosing test often and adjust dosing parameters as needed as each tank's requirement will be different. Dosing accuracy is of the utmost importance. A graduated measurement tool such as a syringe will come in handy. A journal of additions and test kit measurements is recommended.

2. Estimate your Net Water Volume (NWV) of your system. (Aquarium volume + sump + refugium + reactor volumes) , (live rock displacement). It can be difficult to accurately measure the amount of water being displaced by the live rock. If unsure of the volume of live rock we suggest taking 30% off your display tank's Gross Water Volume. For vodka dosing there is absolutely no harm in underestimating the Net Water Volume and is recommended.

As an example, let us assume that your setup contains 100 Net Gallons.

3. The starting dosage is 0.1ml of vodka per 25 gallons (~100 liters) NWV daily continued for three days. For 100 Net Gallons, your dosage would be 0.4ml daily during this period. It has been suggested to cut the daily dosage in half and dose twice daily for more consistency.

4. Days 4-7, double the daily dosage to 0.2ml of vodka per 25 gallons NWV. Your example dosage would be 0.8ml daily during this period.

5. Each subsequent week add an additional 0.5ml of vodka regardless of aquaria volume. At this point your example dosage during week two would be 1.3ml daily. If you do not see nutrient levels decrease during this week, the following week add an additional 0.5ml for a daily dosage of 1.8ml daily.

6. When your NO3 and PO4 levels start to drop maintain the current dose. For example, if you were on week two when NO3 start to fall on 100 Net Water Volume you would add 1.3mL daily at this time for the continuing weeks until the NO3 becomes undetectable.

7. When your NO3 and PO4 levels drop near undetectable with your test kits cut your current dose in half. This will be your starting maintenance dose (if the levels drop during week 2 then the dose after reaching undetectable levels would be 0.65ml daily [1.3ml divide by 2]).

8. Continue to test for NO3 and PO4. If levels become detectable in the future increase your daily dose by 0.1ml increments per week until the levels start to decrease. If you maintain that dose the levels will eventually drop back to undetectable. This would become your new maintenance dose.

vodkadosing40proof-1.jpg

Cyano only forms when people overdose or just mess up and stop dosing. I have no cyano, algae, or anything else nuisance in my tank and I dose once a week... you never fully stop dosing ethanol, only reach a maintenance dose

i checked out your thread and if you dont have a really good skimmer, then dont even consider dosing vodka

its not for the biocube. read the whole thread! and i agree this should not be attempted without a skimmer!!! over dosing, over dosing wouldnt be adding 3.5 ml to a 34g tank at one time? to me it seems like it would. i have also read to cut your dose in half and do it twice a day for better consistency. regardless. this is what im looking for is what works for other people, but you said you got "cyano, other algae, color loss of my sps...basically a drastic rise in no3 and po4" i would like to know where you got your information on where to dose?

virtually the same darn thing... a local reefer has helped me. and no I dont believe so it's overdosing since I have reached my maintenance dose for weeks now. I saw a raise when I stopped dosing when I went on vacation. I didnt get back to dosing soon after and I had a small outbreak in cyano.

using common sense, stopping the feeding of the beneficial bacteria would cause a rise in the NO3 and PO4, causing algae...not so complicated

Anybody dose sugar? I'm 17 and can't obtain alcohol. and my parents would think I'm nuts if I told them I wanted to put it in my tank... Lol!! I want to know the equivalent Vodka to Sugar measurement...

ex .1ml vodka is equal to x tspn sugar...

floridian reefer

yes very good, common sense, if you stop cutting the grass it will grow. not really the same. you dose once a week in a high amount, and once you reached 0 to continued on with the same amount. but thanks for your input. now anyone else thats been doing it longer than 3 months have any input?

And, you obviously havent read about reaching the dose where your levels are 0. this is the point where you cut back to less often dosings. I have been dosing for several MONTHS, daily, and am just at this point...

Seems like your just more pain in a$$ than help just dont comment anymore

I started with literally 1 drop per day. I know use 1ml per day. I upped the dosage on about a two or three week schedule. 2 drops for a couple of weeks, three drops etc.Once I go to the point where the drops equaled 1/2 ml. I did that for about a month then went to 3/4 for another month or month and 1/2 then to the 1ml per day and have stopped there. Have been doing the 1ml per day for about 4 months now and will not do more. As you may have read I am also dosing Prodibio Nano pack. I tried Microbacter 7 for a while but noticed the water not being as clear and more of the white colored mulm type susbstance on the glass so I went back to the Prodibio.

I am happy with it, have not stopped to see what happens because I don't want to know.

Positive results are what I was looking for in the thread I linked, better polyp extension and color from my SPS coral, as well as improved water clarity and reduced green algae buildup on the tank glass.

I have not experienced any negative effects to date, but I am not dosing at the recommended rates either. Could I get better results if I upped the dosage, perhaps but I am happy with what I have so not gonna take a chance.

The only tips I can offer, It is up to you as the keeper of your systems to understand what you are doing, the risks involved, and whether or not you are willing to take those risks. I am for the moment.

Hope that helps some.

floridian reefer
I started with literally 1 drop per day. I know use 1ml per day. I upped the dosage on about a two or three week schedule. 2 drops for a couple of weeks, three drops etc.Once I go to the point where the drops equaled 1/2 ml. I did that for about a month then went to 3/4 for another month or month and 1/2 then to the 1ml per day and have stopped there. Have been doing the 1ml per day for about 4 months now and will not do more. As you may have read I am also dosing Prodibio Nano pack. I tried Microbacter 7 for a while but noticed the water not being as clear and more of the white colored mulm type susbstance on the glass so I went back to the Prodibio.

I am happy with it, have not stopped to see what happens because I don't want to know.

Positive results are what I was looking for in the thread I linked, better polyp extension and color from my SPS coral, as well as improved water clarity and reduced green algae buildup on the tank glass.

I have not experienced any negative effects to date, but I am not dosing at the recommended rates either. Could I get better results if I upped the dosage, perhaps but I am happy with what I have so not gonna take a chance.

The only tips I can offer, It is up to you as the keeper of your systems to understand what you are doing, the risks involved, and whether or not you are willing to take those risks. I am for the moment.

Hope that helps some.

yes thanks a lot! and this is in a biocube 29. what kind of skimmer do you have and are you running a refuge also? what proof vodka?

Archived