Pod Your Reef

Ajmckay's contest thread - w/Water!

ajmckay

New Scape!

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

I felt my scape needed some redesign. So here it is for now. I'm not 100% sold on it, but it's what I could do in the time I had... I think soon I should get some new rock pieces. I have like 3-4 larger pieces that are pretty boring and flat. I should switch it out for some better stuff.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

The water was still a little cloudy and the corals were pissed off, so I might post some better pics tonight.

Ether way it looks good. Nice job.

Now get your hands out of the tank. So it can grow in. :P

• 2 weeks later...

So my grape caulerpa went all se-xual on me...

Now I've never had this happen to me before, but I've read about others who have had this happen. At first it wasn't super apparent, my tank didn't get cloudy, but I saw all this foamy stuff on the water surface in my sump, so I just directed a pump up a little bit to mix it up a bit.

Then I noticed that my corals quickly started looking really bad too...

So last night I decided to remove the whole bunch of caulerpa (I'm pretty sure that once it goes se-xual the whole rhizome dies, right? So I tossed most of it, picking out only a few pieces that looked good, which I stuck in the sand a little.

Then I decided to tie down the chaeto balls I had flying around my sump.

See my DIY here of how I did it: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry3322177

So I usually keep a bucket by the tank... I reached for it to put my skimmer in it while I carried it to the sink to troubleshoot/clean it, and guess what was in the bucket.... My strawberry dottyback... thoroughly dehydrated... It had jumped and somehow landed in the bucket. Too bad there was no water in there...

This sucks (this is #2, first was a sixline on my 29g with a glass top... still not sure how he pulled it off).

Soooo... I'm too broke to afford another fish so looks like my Ocellaris clown and 4-stripe damsel will have to get along better (they actually fight quite a bit, given their similarly striped appearance probably).

I went to HD to get some supplies for building a screen top, but the $25 isn't really in the budget right now. So I'm thinking of a cheaper DIY alternative. I'll create a DIY thread when it's finished.

Home depot has cheap glass some by the windows you could cut yourself. would be under 5 bucks.

Hey you know I never really thought about that. I might need to brace it though since it's really thin glass lying horizontally...

My concerns with that are:

1) Heat, though maybe this wouldn't be an issue?

2) Gas exchange. I do have the sump and skimmer though what happens when power goes out and my display is covered? My last tank had a 3/4 glass top, so there was still some space for gas exchange.

Here's my other DIY solution. I have a lot of fishing line, the thin clear stuff. I was thinking of building a frame out of some type of corrosion resistant material. Like even a wire frame, and then stringing fishing line back and forth until I get the sized openings I want. My other idea is to put the rough side of a velcro strip on some type of frame material and run fishing line back and forth snagging it on the little hooks. I could even put drops of superglue down to hold it permanently. I'm just struggling on what to use as the frame... Foam core? Hmmm....

The good news is that I just interviewed for a new job... If that pans out I shouldn't be quite so tight on cash going forward.

Break out the dremel & cut a hole or removing the corner. Making an open area, just slightly offset from the size of the overflow.

Oh & fingers crossed.

• 1 year later...

So I took the tank down 100% this weekend in order to replace the floor. Should be back up in about a month.

During this time I'll probably re-do my sump baffles. Earlier I used glass ('cause I had a bunch) and spray painted it black. Well over a year the paint has started coming loose in places. It hasn't come off or anything, but there are a few bubbles which will probably come off if I give it another year. I think I'll replace the baffles with black acrylic since I have a good acrylics supplier now.

Archived