Pod Your Reef

My DIY PVC Overflow

jfarabaugh

Jfarabaugh

Was wondering with every thing that you done on this if could see anything on this design that could be improved. Thanks.

siphon%20overflow.jpg

Interesting but lacking some important info. I guess if there was a one way check valve on the line between the return and intake it would pull from the intake that same way that hooking up an aqualifter pump would work. This would keep any air pockets form forming....but it is hard to tell the intent but just seeing this picture.

the ro tubeing from the return line is meant to prime the siphon & prevent its loss.

using it the other way is an interesting idea.

the ro tubeing from the return line is meant to prime the siphon & prevent its loss.

using it the other way is an interesting idea.

yes...that is what I thought.....I dont know exactly how well it would work without acuatlly testing it.

Wait...now that I think of it this would work the same way a venturi line would work connected to a pump. This is acuatlly a good idea but would want to test it first. At this point I wont be adding it to this build but may build a test rig and post the results.

Nice thread. I'm amazed when someone posts a design like this. Although this one seems much less complicated than some of the others. While reading I was also thinking about hooking the tube into a pump (either into a venturi type valve or into an actual pump IMO would be needed to maintain enough suction) and then Sandcruiser mentioned it as well a few posts up.

I'm not an expert on fluid dynamics so it takes me a little bit of staring to understand what's going on. Does anyone have any links to maybe explain some of the scientific principles behind these styles of overflow?

CoolNameGoesHere

hopefully this'll work. it's a .gif that basically explains the principle and operation of this type of overflow.

am2l5h.gif

i built a similar overflow after seeing jfar do it, and it works so far. but i haven't figured out yet how to fail safe it in a way to prevent the sump pump from overflowing the display tank (by emptying the sump into the display, and then flooding my place and then resulting in a homicide investigation after my gf kills me).

edit to add:

the .gif is not my image. found it on google.

hopefully this'll work. it's a .gif that basically explains the principle and operation of this type of overflow.

i built a similar overflow after seeing jfar do it, and it works so far. but i haven't figured out yet how to fail safe it in a way to prevent the sump pump from overflowing the display tank (by emptying the sump into the display, and then flooding my place and then resulting in a homicide investigation after my gf kills me).

edit to add:

the .gif is not my image. found it on google.

The video in the first post is a good overview as well

Take a look at the first post under

Additional protection measures that will be put in place

Basically you want to place your return pump at a level so that if the overflow fails it can only drain the sump to a point where the DT will not overflow. You also want the reverse…..if your pumps fails you want the overflow at a level where it can only drain the DT to the point where is wont overflow your sump. The ATO switches that will be in my setup are there to keep my pump from burning out if something happens.

I want to apologize again for delays as it may be a few days to maybe 2 weeks before I will be able to do any more major work on this. My Work/Life schedule is just not allowing much time to work on this right now.

dude. with the amount of work you are putting into this & then being willing to share it, eliminates any need to apologize.

I would like to thank everyone who seeded me with this idea. With this latest addition this overflow is just about bulletproof.

I added a small barb fitting on the intake of my return pump. An airline tube will run from the return pump to the overflow thus always pulling out any air that may get into the overflow. Tested this out in a bucket just now and worked great!

Intake_1.JPG

Intake_2.JPG

The install is about 90% complete and I hope to have it running by tomorrow night. I will then do a complete and detailed write up to finish everything off. It may be a week or two until I get that posted though.

it the same concept as the siphon system, you connect to the bathroom faucet in order to drain a water bed.

there may be less problems if the feed line is connected higher in the return line.

I gave a variation of this a shot this past weekend. I though I'd get tricky and put a 1/2 vinyl tube inside, however there was barely any water pressure as it took four minutes to fill two gallons. Now, gotta take the tube out and do PVC only.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in updates.

I installed everything and the unit worked well when it came to draining and starting back up….. but it lasted for about 45 minutes as the noise from it was ridiculous. I was really puzzled and disappointed by this as the plumbing turned out to be exactly how my testing setup was. The only difference was about a 10” increase on the length of the 45 degree PCV run but I guess that was enough. I tried various methods to quiet it but no luck so it was pulled.

I built a second unit with a different design (full siphon) and got the softest 90 elbows I could find (I can post pictures of the design if anyone wants to see it). I started testing it 2 days ago and can already hear a slight gurgle so there is no way it is going into the tank as I am sure it will get much louder just like the last unit.

At this point I am giving up on the PVC overflow idea (just because of the noise level). I found another type of design (posted it on nano-reef) but all the info is in Japanese and I don’t feel like trying to reverse engineer it as I have already spent a great deal of time on building and testing these 2 units.

Don’t get me wrong. A well designed/made PVC overflow works great, are safe, and are cheap to make but unless you can deal with or don’t care about the noise I don’t recommend it.

I am overnighting a CPR CS overflow and will see what I can do with that. I will drop a link in this thread as I will create a new one for the testing and install of the CPR.

Thanks for following and posting comments. Sorry to disappoint. :tears:

Hmm... that's too bad. It's amazing that adding a few inches of tubing can create noise like that when the test design was silent.

Good luck with the new overflow.

• 8 months later...

Awesome thread! I also made my own PVC over flow that worked great in the bucket, until it was on the tank, the noise was out of control, and being in my bedroom sleeping was out of the question with the set up. I ended up making a DIY overflow box out of acrylic from an old glasses display case from our bicycle shop ha, works just like the 80-120$ overflows at an LFS. Thanks for taking the time to create this post, too! :D

• 1 year later...
RobinsonFam1

i know this is a dead thread but a quick idea.....i need something like this for myself as well......many other too.

ive been very successful in stopping gurgle noises on return lines by adding a reducer or barb fitting at end of drain lines. anything from short runs to 20' runs.

if you havent scrapped the overflow yet give it a try and report back! ive never had it not work!

if its already scrapped ill try throwing one together for my tempered 20 (tired of HOB stuff all over)

• 1 year later...

Zombie thread question...Whats the purpose of the tube going so far down in the tank?

Seems to me a small U just under water level sufficient.

it balances the pressure between both sides to keep siphon. Of course if both sides are shortened then it would still work as long as there's balance. Is just harder to mess up if you make it longer.

Saltmo try removing that cap on the tall pipe for air intake or make the hole a little larger. Barring that you might have air leading in and breaking siphon around the check valve.

• 5 months later...

Archived