Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

White spots on back of tank wall*UPDATED with picture*

CrushtheTurtle

CrushtheTurtle

Hey guys, recently finished cycling and added my CUC of crabs and snails, on the back of my tank wall i have noticed these white circular dots, about the size of a matchhead, appearing and was wondering if anyone can tell me what they are, should i clean them from the tank?? can post pics later..

post-52848-1280729745_thumb.jpg

Edited by CrushtheTurtle

I've been wondering the same for weeks, but kept forgetting to ask about the spots. I get them on my glass too, and it looks like the inside of the spots are a little yellowish (the side you see through glass). After I scrape them off they leave white circles, until I scrape harder... is this the same thing you have? It grows a lot more 3D than the purple coraline, and stays confined to the dots instead of spreading outwards...

MusicISUnlimited

its little calcareous worms. The grow in small spirals on your glass and back walls in dark areas. If you look very closely you will there tiny crowns popping out. Check the ultimate ID thread for more info on the.

Edited by MusicISUnlimited
its little calcareous worms. The grow in small spirals on your glass and back walls in dark areas. If you look very closely you will there tiny crowns popping out. Check the ultimate ID thread for more info on the.

+1, how do you pronounce calcareous?

Snail eggs, do you have nerite snails in that CUC? If so, I'd put money on the spots being snail eggs.

I guess that would explain the sudden outbreak of baby snails...

MusicISUnlimited
I guess that would explain the sudden outbreak of baby snails...

Well its possible that they are but it seems to me when i have a snail lays eggs its generally one area. Also, how you described them they didnt seem like snail eggs. Touch them and see if they are hard or soft. The worms have a hard shell that resembles Coralline. Your snail outbreak could be from your LR. I had a peice of LR that was infested with baby snails, you could have had them along just you could`nt seem them due to their small size when they were babies.

Edited by MusicISUnlimited
Well its possible that they are but it seems to me when i have a snail lays eggs its generally one area. Also, how you described them they didnt seem like snail eggs. Touch them and see if they are hard or soft. The worms have a hard shell that resembles Coralline. Your snail outbreak could be from your LR. I had a peice of LR that was infested with baby snails, you could have had them along just you could`nt seem them due to their small size when they were babies.

+1

They're most likely pest snails. I had the same thing happen and thought my snails bred. So far, the tiny snails I have haven't hurt anything but they multiply very rapidly. Also, they're in a 175g. I'd keep a close eye on them especially if you have a clam.

post-52848-1280729654_thumb.jpg

Heres a picture, didnt bother rotating it sideways..but yeah if these are snail eggs/worms should i scrape em off??

[/quote

on the back wall? why do you want to scrape it?

if its for looks, go for it, its your tank.

from picture i would say ts coralline algae. could be a small duster worm. does not look like snail eggs. all of which are harmless.

CrushtheTurtle

i have alot of snails already, dont really need them all over my tank like crazy! thats why id scrape em off, or is it best not to disturb??

i have alot of snails already, dont really need them all over my tank like crazy! thats why id scrape em off, or is it best not to disturb??

Well most times the snails wont make it to adulthood. But I have some baby nerite snails cruising around my tank. But my sixline wrasse seems to love hunting the babies. I would say out of thousands of them born I only have 10 that are bigger than my wrasses mouth (and most likely safe).

• 9 years later...
Pufferperson22

I have been having a similar problem on my glass it look like little white tubes all curled up in to a circle and some of the dots have the tentacle/hairs on them, they are very small but I would like to take action immediately. Does anyone know what they might be

• 5 months later...

I just found some in my sump... white islands of small grainy things...and yes seeing lot of snails around my house, also the UGD n storm water drainage work going on in front of my house, should i be worried about this?

• 5 months later...

Hello,

Can someone tell me what I should regarding the little white round circles that recently appeared on the glass of my fresh water fish aquarium?

Do I need to scrap them off? Will they kill the fish that are currently in the aquarium?

Please help.My water is crystal clear. 

Thank you

3 hours ago, Sydney1 said:

Hello,

Can someone tell me what I should regarding the little white round circles that recently appeared on the glass of my fresh water fish aquarium?

Do I need to scrap them off? Will they kill the fish that are currently in the aquarium?

Please help.My water is crystal clear. 

Thank you

This is a forum dedicated to saltwater aquariums, reefs in particular. You might find it a bit difficult to get advice regarding freshwater aquariums, although probably not impossible if you post your question in the off-topic subforum. I’m sure there are plenty of reefers that have had or do currently have freshwater aquariums.