Innovative Marine Aquariums

マングローブラグーン

Giga

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow the rocks really came together well.

do you plan to keep the sand bed to one side. or do you have another trick up your sleeve.

wow the rocks really came together well.

do you plan to keep the sand bed to one side. or do you have another trick up your sleeve.

yeah it did come together and can you believe I used all but one piece of rock? If you look above the sand bed will cover the whole bottom.

OMG, i am loving what you're doing so far, great job.

And I'll be looking forward on seeing what you'll do next

it's funny because as I think about the tank and ways to make it look more natural and interesting-but not make it too cluttered-I come up with more idea's. Speaking of idea I got another idea that should prove interesting and make the take one more step toward natural-ism :huh:

Today or tomorrow I will be ordering my second return pump for the tides-I also got the Fiji mud on order(LFS) 12lbs bucket :lol: Has anyone every used the eheim compact pumps?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.asp...%28160%20gph%29

Such an awesome concept for a tank... and the build is looking so clean! Love the scape - cant wait to see it wet! And your stocking list looks... AMAZING! :) Are you going to cover the outcrops in mangroves? Or just have a few? And is there any other vegetation you thinking/could grow on the peaks?

Such an awesome concept for a tank... and the build is looking so clean! Love the scape - cant wait to see it wet! And your stocking list looks... AMAZING! :) Are you going to cover the outcrops in mangroves? Or just have a few? And is there any other vegetation you thinking/could grow on the peaks?

Gonna grow 4-5 black mangroves in the island and then there will be a red mangrove surrounding the edges with roots covering the bottom so the fish will be able to hide in it. I'm gonna try and few other things as well

The imbedd dosn't seem to work but watch

!
FishOnTheBrainCoral
Great idea Giga. I think some live crabs and other water/land stuff would be great. For the mangroves making some type of mister would be even cooler and make a rainy effect! This way your not having to mist them so much.

-Dave

+1 if you can make your ATO run a mister you wouldn't have to do anything..I like it sweet setup will be fallowing close.

Nice video. How long does it normally take for mangroves to grow long roots like that? Also.. in order for them to really flourish, won't they need a deep sand bed so their roots can extend and all that jazz?

The black mangrove will have a 10" deep of fiji mud-they grow in think mud in the wild as well, so the black mangroves with be pretty close to nature. Red mangrove can grow in just water but the do need some sand bed and I have have a 2" sand bed for the bottom of the roots to grow in

Haven't updated in a while because been working like 50hrs last week and been super busy. I got to work on my tank some and a few more items came in the mail. my pluming is about 90% done. Just need a 1/2 bulkhead and some locline and I'm done. Also been working on on other idea for the tank. Just look below to see it.

My 2nd pump and my ushio 10k 70w bulb came in that's for the coral island

pumplight.jpg

This is my next project for the aqua-scape. I've been looking at A LOT of picture of shore lines/bonsai's and been contemplating how to show some scale or age to this tank :unsure: . In the past I've had planted tank and used drift wood so I thought I'd use some in this tank to mix in with the new growth of the mangroves to give in some age and scale.

epoxy to prevent the wood from leaking tannin and degrading in the tank

epoxy.jpg

Baking the drift wood to kill anything and to dry it out

woodbake.jpg

applying very generously-also I'm only applying to the part in water and a little past the water line to make it appear as if it just wet.

epoxywood.jpg

my plumping and another piece of wood curing

pluming.jpg

Not done as there's a thicker wood piece(shown in plumbing pic) that will go on the black mangrove planter. Also if you look close you will see zip tie's,I drilled some holes in the rock to hold the red mangroves on the outside to be very :ninja:

lowfts.jpg

another angle

anglefts.jpg

Also another thing I spent to much money on was my new HTC Incredible-now I can take my obsession everywhere with me :lol:

htck.jpg

love the driftwood idea. so odd yet cool at the same time.

well I'm going for something new might as well go all the way :lol: Plus it should look cool once everything is done

everythings looking good so far, cant wait to see how it turns out. im still trying to figure out what to do with my mangroves

I can't wait either! Just let ur mangroves grow for now then if you don't like them you can always trade them for frags or something

lowfts.jpg

That right side is so intense. I think this is going to look phenomenal for sure. I really really really think it's awesome that you're pooling all your inspirational resources here. Kudos!

Archived