Top Shelf Aquatics

マングローブラグーン

Giga

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this one has some interesting possibilitys. do you think with enough time that the coral would completely cover the shelving.

coralgrowth10.jpg

this one has some interesting possibility's. do you think with enough time that the coral would completely cover the shelving.

coralgrowth10.jpg

I also love that pic above because it has large corals and a lots of negative space.

I hope it will-I'm really going for a natural look here-Also, once it's coral ready I will be introducing colonies of corals and not frags. I got a place that is hooking me up(bought lots of stuff from them) with 6-12" sps and lps-maybe even a softy or two. Not sure not really a softy :lol:

This was my old tanks last FTS-the big sps in the bottom left is one such colony. It was a 8" tabling bali something or another.

newfts.jpg

some more and I will be adding enough colonies to make it look like a full blown reef

balib.jpg

one thing me & am have been trying to figure out is how to do the bonsai thing. (best way) if the the egg crate could be covered/encrusted with sps. then building a structure for this purpose, would be awesome.

one thing me & am have been trying to figure out is how to do the bonsai thing. (best way) if the the egg crate could be covered/encrusted with sps. then building a structure for this purpose, would be awesome.

what do you mean egg crate? :huh:

Also I've been into bonsai's for about 8 years now and know a lot of information about plants n such. So getting the mangroves to turn bonsai will be somewhat ez for me. I know black bonsais will be ez'er then the red because red or so darn branchy. I think this is what you meant by the bonsai thing right-or did you mean the rock work?

it's gonna kinda be a hybrid paludarium just with the tank full of water and not half full. With the left island sticky out and mangroves and other plants growing out. I'm gonna have a area filled with Fiji mud that mangroves and plants will grow out of-and hopefully some small peaceful red/purple fiddle crabs I'v got on order. Here some pic of kinda what my tank will look like just salt water.

This is basically what i'm going for-the two islands with big open swimming space between

palas.jpg

pala2.jpg

pala3.jpg

where you find the pics of this fw planted tank? its somewhere in asia/japan i can tell

where you find the pics of this fw planted tank? its somewhere in asia/Japan i can tell

it's actually in a retail store in Japan

was speaking to both but there is a strong move towards aquascapes that use bonsai methodology.

bonsai-tree.jpg

171572729_4755171647_o.jpg

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...postid=11540863

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=215491

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217792

egg crate would be lighting diffuser cut into things like frag racks/flats & such.

doing both a bonsai scape & a bonsai tree would be just amazing.

what me & am have been talking about is the best way to make the rock work. so far we were thinking of doing concrete. much of this was to improve flow while creating a more naturalistic tank. but building it of pvc & reef safe plastic. then allowing the sps to encrust the skeleton would be a much better methodology. but it would all but eliminate rock in the disply.

looks like someone already had the idea.

So the tank is cycled and ready for frags, here is the finished product.

IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

from

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2399044

animalmaster6

Yep yep.

I've been thinking that the PVC would allow the corals to grow faster and provide more territories for fish and inverts. The problem with Bonsai Scapes is there isn't many territories unless it's completely covered. That means no gobies, blennies, most wrasses, pipefish, assessors, inverts, and much much more.

Yep yep.

I've been thinking that the PVC would allow the corals to grow faster and provide more territories for fish and inverts. The problem with Bonsai Scapes is there isn't many territories unless it's completely covered. That means no gobies, blennies, most wrasses, pipefish, assessors, inverts, and much much more.

I think you'll like my idea what I have in mind. I order 50lb of macro rock so that should be more then enough to do what I want.

I'm hoping the the fathead will take the mangrove island and the leopard will take the sps island(or vise verse) and the blue eyed cardinals with swim in the open area.

also here's a pic of the fiddler crab species. I can't really find the actually name of this guy but it's somewhere from the Philippines. They only get 1" max and there friendly

img27341mariescrabid.jpg

I have a tank in the works that's similar. But I'm using a bonsai style but with a twist of to it. Just like your inspired pictures of the green islands up top. So I cant wait to see how your setup develops as well. Tagging along.

animalmaster6
I'm hoping the the fathead will take the mangrove island and the leopard will take the sps island(or vise verse) and the blue eyed cardinals with swim in the open area.

also here's a pic of the fiddler crab species. I can't really find the actually name of this guy but it's somewhere from the Philippines. They only get 1" max and there friendly

img27341mariescrabid.jpg

I am gusessing the cardinals will take the mangroves. In the wild that species does all the time

Few cardinal/mangrove pics

D3X7267.jpg

_42261598_cardinalfish203iucn.jpg

35M1844-03-cardinalfish.jpg

I have a feeling the leopard will take to the SPS and the Fathead will be near the rocks swimming around.

That's really cool. It's completely reef-safe?

I am gusessing the cardinals will take the mangroves. In the wild that species does all the time

Few cardinal/mangrove pics

D3X7267.jpg

_42261598_cardinalfish203iucn.jpg

35M1844-03-cardinalfish.jpg

I have a feeling the leopard will take to the SPS and the Fathead will be near the rocks swimming around.

That's really cool. It's completely reef-safe?

I didn't know cardinals live in mangroves thats really cool

there about as safe as a hermits I will keep them well fed so they won't think about going after anything else-plus they mainly live on land.

It doesn't take too long for eggcrate to get covered by encrusting SPS:

EggcrateMillepora.jpg

This mille sat on the frag rack in my display tank for a little too long (~9 months) and did nothing but encrust. The rack was about four inches below the water surface and about 12 inches from the T5s.

The only downside is that the coral never really attaches to the eggcrate, it just grows on the surface and has very little 'adhesion' to the plastic. A lot of the frags I made from the colony above didn't make it because the coral skeleton came free from the eggcrate after fragging. FWIW.

Marty

Was thinking that maybe the best way to do it would be to build the structure. would be to do the pvc & egg create frame then use a very light coating of concrete. Mostly due to the weight that could be placed on the frame as the sps grows. But the adhesion is an exelent point. Great info thanks. Giga I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do.

I got my rock today- AND HOLY CRAP 50lbs of dry figi is way more then I need. I highly recommend BRS because they sent around 55 lbs and there customer service is awesome.At least I got material to work with. Here's a pic of all the rock in the tank, this also show the spot light on-as well as some from reefcleaners, it's also where all my mangroves are and will be from

rock003.jpg

thought this was cool

rock005.jpg

also got all my chemicals too

calcmagalk.jpg

Maybe even epoxy.
Was thinking that maybe the best way to do it would be to build the structure. would be to do the pvc & egg create frame then use a very light coating of concrete. Mostly due to the weight that could be placed on the frame as the sps grows. But the adhesion is an exelent point. Great info thanks. Giga I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do.

I plan on making a planter out of rock work for the Fiji mud and black mangroves area. I'm going to be using epoxy/zip ties/acrylic rods/ and a couple other things. It's kinda hard to explain-but I got it all pictured in my head so just stay tuned to find out :lol:

Archived