Coral Vue Hydros

マングローブラグーン

Giga

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A saltwater paludarium? If yes, this has been done before. An interesting project, nevertheless.

Tagging along

yes that is what my tank is and yes it has been done before but thats not what I was announcing. So keep guessing-if no one gets it by tonight I'll tell you!

high/low tide simulator?

OH SNAP you nailed it on the head omgomgomg I am going to implement a low/high tide that will match real low tides/high tides. Meaning if low tides happen at 6:30 am then my tank should go to low tide at that time. There will also be a randomness to it with a 1 hour time frame. So the tide will be at a different time every time it's simulated. I've had to changed my sump/overflow and return for this to work. It's still racking my brain to work out the details

here's the announcement-let me see if you can figure it out

mangrovelowhigh.jpg

ok so based on the hint. tide based waterline or bare root mangrove island.

mmm.... maybe i'll think of something else.

edit: must type fast next time, drat & double drat.

you're going to allow them to grow roots at full water level and then lower the water level when they mature? wait no that wouldn't make sense... cause you're tank isn't that high...

uhhh

you're going to grow them all close together so the roots get intertwined?

I don't know...that's all I got. :(

nevermind... took too long to reply, was doing too many things at once.

Looks like everything is coming along nicely. Like the rocks you picked up. Interested on the placement of your mangroves. The tidal changes should be nice as well. Now hopefully it doesn't smell as bad as real mangrove forests. Had enough seining in mangrove areas back in the day to catch enough of a wiff of hydrogen sulfide to last.

Fishfreak218

Are you worried about adverse effects on your SPS with high/low tides occurring at natural times?

(i know in nature the top of the reef is exposed during low tide but I would assume only species that could handle this would grow there. How do you know if the species your stocking with can handle the long time out of water)

Are you worried about adverse effects on your SPS with high/low tides occurring at natural times?

(i know in nature the top of the reef is exposed during low tide but I would assume only species that could handle this would grow there. How do you know if the species your stocking with can handle the long time out of water)

The tank water will only drop about 1.5" so not to bad. I really have no idea what sps can handle it. I would imagine all could but we will just have to see

marinebiologist
OH SNAP you nailed it on the head omgomgomg I am going to implement a low/high tide that will match real low tides/high tides. Meaning if low tides happen at 6:30 am then my tank should go to low tide at that time. There will also be a randomness to it with a 1 hour time frame. So the tide will be at a different time every time it's simulated. I've had to changed my sump/overflow and return for this to work. It's still racking my brain to work out the details

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

This tank is going to be AMAZING!!!!!!!!

marinebiologist

actually the Aquarium Fish International magazine October issue has a column about this and the water level drops about 1/2. Tho it is an intertidal tank with only macros and mangroves with some anemones at the bottom of the tank

actually the Aquarium Fish International magazine October issue has a column about this and the water level drops about 1/2. Tho it is an intertidal tank with only macros and mangroves with some anemones at the bottom of the tank

got a link or anything?

captainbastard

Why not forget about sps and corals and simulate this to a "T"? I've seen documentaries on this type of setting and there's a lot of cool marine life in these environments.

Edit: that article just reinforces what I'm suggesting

Why not forget about sps and corals and simulate this to a "T"? I've seen documentaries on this type of setting and there's a lot of cool marine life in these environments.

Edit: that article just reinforces what I'm suggesting

Funny that you mention that becuase I have been thinking the same thing. I know I'm going to have a lot of creatures in this tank. I might just do a couple sps and then nps/sofies n such to simulate what is acually in a mangrove lagoon. mabe some sea grasses too with some grass shrimp!

Archived