Top Shelf Aquatics

gutterguys breeder,beer and bbq

gutterguy

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice build gg. Sweet stand.

When I moved my some of my BC29 over to my 40 with new dryrock and sand I had a cycle. Dont be surprised when you get the algae bloom in the next week or two.

Hey thanks troll, I am getting a little bit of a cycle now, some diatomes on the rocks and some algea on the sand. Placed my order for larger cuc should be here friday or saturday.

thanks

gg

Update time....Just recieved my cuc from John today, once again everything looks great. About 50% of the snails are starting to move around. I figure it may take a while for all them to get going, its been pretty cold here and took 3 days for shipping. Hopefully they are hungry I am starting to get diatomes and some other kind of algea on my sand.

Another bonus for me is I went to petco to get a larger mag-float and they were on sale for 16.99, went up to check out and it rang up $4.29, needless to say I went back and grabbed the last one. 2 medium sized mags for under $10

IMAG0489.jpg

IMAG0488.jpg

Mangrove

IMAG0491.jpg

FTS

IMAG0490.jpg

Some new goodies. Anybody in the cleveland/akron area needs to goto Captian Larrys. You cant beat the prices. Their knowledge is ok, and the service is great. This is what I scored yesterday

Unknown zoas - bright pinkish orange center. Over 40 heads $9.99

IMAG0498-1.jpg

Neon green favia. 1" x 2" $24.00

IMAG0493.jpg

2" Blue - purple crocea clam $32.99

IMAG0496.jpg

Sexy shrimp - $9.99 x 2

IMAG0497.jpg

I thought I got a pretty good deal

Thanks for looking

gg

Take the palys you have just above your frogspawn OUT of your tank now. They grow SUPER fast and are really aggressive. They will sting other corals and take over your tank. I'm working really hard to get them out of my tank right now. Problem is if you mush them in the tank they release a slime that kills other corals. My monti caps bleach white if I kill too many in one sitting. Kalk paste works well.

Here in Texas those are called Texas trash paly's.

Also, before you bring up your Alk you'll want to raise your Mg. Mg helps prevent precipitation when Alk and Ca are at higher levels. I'd suggest picking up a complete package of recipe #2 from Bulk Reef Supply.

Take the palys you have just above your frogspawn OUT of your tank now. They grow SUPER fast and are really aggressive. They will sting other corals and take over your tank. I'm working really hard to get them out of my tank right now. Problem is if you mush them in the tank they release a slime that kills other corals. My monti caps bleach white if I kill too many in one sitting. Kalk paste works well.

Here in Texas those are called Texas trash paly's.

Also, before you bring up your Alk you'll want to raise your Mg. Mg helps prevent precipitation when Alk and Ca are at higher levels. I'd suggest picking up a complete package of recipe #2 from Bulk Reef Supply.

I have had these in my 29 for about 7-8 months. They do grow pretty quick but not crazy and I never noticed them to be aggressive. I did notice when I dragged them that they were a lot more slimy than the others.

I will keep an eye on them, thanks for.the info

Wow it's amazing how similar our build are!!! Love the tank... Should have looked at your tank thread when you posted you stand on my stand build thread. Not sure about the whole buying fish from Petco though lol all I ever get from mine is ICK.. So just curious how hig do you have your mp 20 set cause I have a MP 10 and have it dialed in like 50% Reef crest and seems like plenty of flow for my mixed tank. When I dial it up too high my frog and hammer retract xenia too.

I have my the mp20 on reefcrest at about 85%. With the two returns and them being on the SWCD I get a pretty good amount or cross flows. The only thing that ever seems to be affected is my hairy mushroom really gets blown up a little but doesnt seem to mind

Nice score on the new additions! Increased CUC making a difference?

Thanks spring. The cuc has been in there for a week now and I really have not noticed any real difference except my glass stays cleaner longer. I am thinking of picking up a couple emerald crabs but not sure if they would bother the sexy shrimp

Ive never had sexy's, but I would think they'd be fine... I did have emrald's though. The didn't do squat for me. I have a tuxido urchin in my 20 and he does great! I've had him for one year. There I don't have any coriline algae, but that doesn't bother me.

Ive never had sexy's, but I would think they'd be fine... I did have emrald's though. The didn't do squat for me. I have a tuxido urchin in my 20 and he does great! I've had him for one year. There I don't have any coriline algae, but that doesn't bother me.

I had a tux in my 29 for a while and just could not deal with him picking crap up and bulldozing stuff. I have been looking for a small long spine, but everything I see is huge.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is one month old today!. Cuc has finally got busy. All the green alge that was on my sand and 90% that was on the rocks is gone.

Also after a month my skimmer is still pulling very very wet but very dark. Not sure if its going to get any different.

Alge growing in sump, I have one nerite, and a couple of dwarf cerith snails in there along with a blue leg hermit. The hermit seems to be doing a decent job but was wondering if anybody had any opinions on what might be a good addition to the sump to help keep clean.

Picked up a fighting conch last week, this is one of the coolest creatures to watch

IMAG0523.jpg

IMAG0522.jpg

Keep an eye on that conch. They like fine sand so they can bury themselves.

I have a mix of ESV coarse and fine. He gets himself about 3/4 of the way buried when he does but for the most part since i have got him hes been scavaging around

bwoodward0012

Great looking tank. Do you add pods for your scooter since your tank is newer? Or is that a lawnmower blenny? Love fighting conchs, mine got too big for my 10 and had to get rid of him before i ended up setting up my 40b. Cant wait til i save up enough for an mp(10, 20, or 40 not sure yet) cause i REALLY want one. Anyhow looking good.

Great looking tank. Do you add pods for your scooter since your tank is newer? Or is that a lawnmower blenny? Love fighting conchs, mine got too big for my 10 and had to get rid of him before i ended up setting up my 40b. Cant wait til i save up enough for an mp(10, 20, or 40 not sure yet) cause i REALLY want one. Anyhow looking good.

Yeah, thats a lawnmower blenny, he picks at everything. save up for the mp40. I have a 20 and I dont know if a 10would be enough for me

Thanks for checking out my tank Twinn and Tundra.

Wifey gave me $100 for christmas for corals, so today we went shopping. Found a local on CL and went to his house. Nice frag setup, about 500gal of water going through 4 of those huge rubbermade tubs.

This is what I got.

20+ heads on this acan. Red/purple/green $15

IMAG0540.jpg

Green birdsnest $10

IMAG0541.jpg

Sunset Monti $10

IMAG0536.jpg

Meteor Shower $10

IMAG0537.jpg

Kedds Redds 50+ heads $20 (aptasia free)

IMAG0539.jpg

Free-99 - Not sure what this is

IMAG0538.jpg

Maxima Clam $35 (2 1/2") Looks more purple in real life

IMAG0535.jpg

All that for $100

Also went to my lfs and picked up a green citron goby and a hectors goby.

My lawnmower blenny has chased the green one to a carpet surfing death. (only took 4 hours) and right now cant find the hectors. The blenny left him alone in the begining so hopfully hes just hiding.

Archived