Pod Your Reef

Amphiprion1's 25g seagrass cube REDUX

Amphiprion1

Amphiprion1

Checked around the right side today and sure enough, the Halophila have already begun to sprout. I see a bunch of little twin shoots sticking out of the sand--a dead giveaway that a little leaf pair will sprout.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking good! I want to do something like this next year with a h.malu anemone and clowns. Your tank is so natural and beautiful. Good job!

Amphiprion1
looking good! I want to do something like this next year with a h.malu anemone and clowns. Your tank is so natural and beautiful. Good job!

Thank you for the compliments

Natural is definitely what I'm shooting for--glad my efforts are paying off enough that the look is noticable.

• 2 months later...
Amphiprion1
Just read the whole thread, great tank, love the idea!

How is your tank ATM?

Thank you.

It's certainly looked better. Things got busy for me and I managed to neglect the tank quite a bit. I think the lack of feeding was the biggest immediate hit the system took. Couple that with failing to trim back the seagrass and it caused the infauna to dwindle while cyanobacteria went on a heyday. The grasses, or the Halophila more specifically, started getting root bound and began to die back, making the cyanobacteria worse still. The sad part is that it was mostly gone prior to all of this and the seagrass had made a big comeback.

In any case, I've since done a bit of necessary work on it, fired up the protein skimmer and restarted dosing kalkwasser (since it is easily automated and very cheap with low/moderate demand). The grasses are already sprouting back in the spots that died (or were removed). Everything else is still alive and kicking, however, and doing well enough. Other grasses, like my Thalassia, didn't even flinch the entire time, which is mostly thanks to its slow growth. Given a month or two, it should be back in decent shape--at least enough to take a new photo.

Archived