Cultivated Reef

? a NEW hermit crab without the shell? Whats going on?

ggg111

Hello,

I've had 1 scarlet hermit for the past 3 weeks. Today I see what looks like a scarlet hermit without it's shell on my sandbed. (its not moving but i dont know if its alive or just scared). So I thought, OK that is my hermit just out of its shell. Right? Wrong! My hermit is still in his shell moving around... so what is this? A baby (Its pretty big already)? Or was it a hitchhiker from one of my new corals?

Thanks!

littlelacho

I would say it was definitely a hitchhiker. Do you have extra shells in larger sizes in your tank for your current hermit? If not, you will want to get some from your LFS. The other hermit may have died because it had no shell to go into when it got too big for it's current shell. If you do have shells, they may have fought over one and he lost...the scarlet hermits tend to be more docile than the blue legs but I have a lot of hermit fighting (among both scarlet and blue) for shells and such, even when there are plenty in my tank.

Edit to say....or +1 to what these guys said! I didn't even think of that because mine are so mean and fight all the time lol!

I don't know what a molt is. The thing is bright red and looks like all of the claws and then some white goop atached to it. He looks like he is still in his shell but is a paler color if that helps.

What do I do with the molt? I ordered some extra shells for him but they won't be here for a week. Does this mean his is trying to upgrade?

Thanks. Sorry this is my first hermit. Its a scarlet FYI.

Your crab shed his skin, like a snake.. Except it looks just like him and kinda weird at the same time. I usually just leave mine in there, the CUC will take care of it, and if crabs/snails eat the molts, it's a good source of calcium for their shell/exoskeleton production :)

Archived