ReefCleaners.org

DIY Moonlight Cheap! $5

Blueangel44

Blueangel44

This is a very cheap and nice looking moonlight I made for my tank. I saw this on another thread and thought I would give it a shot and show you guys.

Materials:

Desk Lamp (With Florescent bulb for less heat produced)

Blue Construction Paper

Masking Tape

________________________________________________________________________________

fpfuhr1280116101.jpg

3zqi901280116203.jpg

Result:8whbmk1280116342.jpg

(Sorry for bad result photo camera isn't good at night)

that has to be one of the stupidest ideas ever in this hobby! Please don't try it people, you're just asking for a fire!

that has to be one of the stupidest ideas ever in this hobby! Please don't try it people, you're just asking for a fire!

+1

Moon turns to Sun --- Flame on!!!!

Nice thought but +1 to firetrap. Also if you are in this hobby do it as right as you can. Save up the money and get good moonlighting.

Defiantly looks like a fire hazard!!! i wouldn't risk losing every thing I own to try and save a little $$, when to start with moon lights are not that expensive, and are much safer. id say go spend the $20ish and git something that's designed for use with aquariums. or if you really want to use the desk lamp go buy a blue bulb for it that would be much safer.

WTT for that light. BlueAngel would you consider a half eaten Subway sandwich? I'll throw in some cold packs.

I think spray painting my swimming goggles would have the same effect. :)

kamikaze_fish

Drill holes in the lamp "shade", lots and lots of them to release the heat. Then, exchange highly flammable blue construction paper with a blue lens from something. Then I think you have a possibly successful idea.

Use LEDs, they are really cheap. If you go to Walmart car section they sell some blue LEDs for inside the car, just plug them to a power supply and done, it will be under 20 dollars if you dont have a power supply already.

Your idea is cool too if you work the above mentioned issues.

Drill holes in the lamp "shade", lots and lots of them to release the heat. Then, exchange highly flammable blue construction paper with a blue lens from something. Then I think you have a possibly successful idea.

skip all that and just do this...you'll be fine

lightsd.jpg

skip all that and just do this...you'll be fine

lightsd.jpg

Genius!!!! Duct tape fixes everything!

I've seen those first alerts at Lowes in 2 packs - in case you want to do one for each end.

WTT for that light. BlueAngel would you consider a half eaten Subway sandwich? I'll throw in some cold packs.

I think spray painting my swimming goggles would have the same effect. :)

Some of these comments are packed with humor; anyhow, this idea needs much improvement. However, your dedication and creativity towards this hobby is always appreciated. Thanks

Archived