Top Shelf Aquatics

Dymax IQ3 8.2L Pico

henZa

How are your lights holding up? Mine have considerably dimmed. I'd say they are approximately 50% dimmer then when I first got them. I got one new robot led light and it's about as bright as my existing 2.

I'm thinking of switching them over for a par 30 led bulb. Probably won't make the switch until the new year. Since I got the new light it has bought some time..

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't say I have really noticed a difference to tell you the truth... If they are dimmer it might have happened so slowly that I haven't seen it. LEDs by nature of their technology should last a long time — but that of course relies on a properly designed controller! Also LEDs dim towards the end of their life, which could mean that they were pushing too much current through them to get extra brightness.

At any rate I just finished molding one of mine (the first one with the warmer hue to it). I replaced half the LEDs with blue ones. I will write it up shortly so stay tuned!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I have been watching your thread now for a few months almost, as I have an IQ3 Reef also. With the lack of information out there currently on this specific tank, this thread is one of the first on the goodle search results.

So, i've had to join the forum today just to post a request for you to make an update. I am also interested in your lighting modifications, which you have also not updated.

Thanks sincerely,

-Will from Ontario Canada.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

Wow, time has really flown with Xmas, New Years and going away for a while etc. Anyway, time for an update! A lot has happened since my last update so I will summarise:

Everything is doing very nicely since the fish have gone; all water parameters are holding at pretty much perfect. Doing water changes maybe every one to two weeks (I know I have been a bit busy/slack!).

I have re-arranged some things and also added a couple more tiny zoo colonies (front left and front right of FTS). The one which is now on the right came with a couple of nice surprises in the form of a pretty cool little feather duster worm (i think) and something that I haven't figured out what it is yet, but looks like it could be a mini carpet nem, or maybe some sort of tiny star fish? Unfortunately he seems to be camera shy and I can't see him on his perch today -_- I will post some photos if I spot him again.

My Xenia got badly stung by the hammer and melted away to a tiny little stump. I thought he was a goner, but he has sprung back with gusto! Maybe what they say about these things being pretty hardy is true! I like the way they look now that they are a lot smaller and more 'branched'. Also my acans are doing really nicely and have filled out quite a lot. You can't tell it was a frag cut from a larger colony now.

Equipment wise not much has changed (except for Robot LED mod; which I will update in the other thread soon). I am happier with the light colour but it could still be brighter! I am thinking about getting some super bright LEDs and mounting them via a heatsink into the Robot LED casing. This wont be for a while though! I am also still running the aqua one pump which isn't that great. I need to upgrade this soon since it isn't even as good as the original!

tankFS_Feb11.jpg

looks great!

cover the left middle empty space (below the red macro) with those red mushrooms, and the space below the hammer with those wicked looking blue mushrooms and this tank will look rediculous!

btw that top left macro, is that throwing pink color at the tips or i8s that xenia mixed in with it? w/e it is the effect looks amazing!

The hammer as the focal point also look fantastic.

This looks like it can become the best IQ3 on this forum :)

This looks like it can become the best IQ3 on this forum :)

Well I wouldn't go that far :huh: but it does look good.

The hammer looks so huge probably 10x bigger then the hammer in mine.

Haha, not likely! But thanks for the encouragement .Newman :)

I am generally happy with how it is going and looking. The hammer has pretty much increased by about 1/3 in size since I put it in. I do like it (even though it does harrass everything else within it's reach!) but might eventually trade it for something smaller or maybe move it back a bit. To put it back more I would need to move the heater, which i want to do anyway...

• 4 months later...

Archived