SaltCritters.com

ZoaID is Your Friend

animalmaster6

animalmaster6

I just wanted to remind everyone that if you want the name of zoas (Watermelons, Red Hornets, Eagle Eyes, etc.) go on www.zoaid.com.

It has lots and lots of forms and color patterns.

if only this was a mandatory thread you had to read before posting on the ID thread. would cut down 3/4 of all the zoas id questions.

if only this was a mandatory thread you had to read before posting on the ID thread. would cut down 3/4 of all the zoas id questions.

LMAO so true.. there should also be a mandatory Google tutorial.. if people would figure out what a search engine was it would save many of us from carpal tunnel syndrome in a few years.

animalmaster6

I don't particularly mind all the zoa ID questions but if people read ZoaID people will find their answer quick! :)

LMAO so true.. there should also be a mandatory Google tutorial.. if people would figure out what a search engine was it would save many of us from carpal tunnel syndrome in a few years.

+1 million.

It would be great if there was a page you'd have to click through before posting in the id forum that said "are you sure it's not a stomatella snail, amphipod, copepod, mysid shrimp or flatworms, and have you checked zoaid or google."

Goodbye 80% of the BS threads that get posted in this forum.

This is so true.

The ones I hate are:

"What is this? What's it worth?"

I always want to say: "Who cares. It's worth what you paid, because that's what it sold for."

I understand it's not quite so straight forward, but I have notived a lot of those two questions recently.

the zoa ID thing if you can't easily find it just realize you got a nice zoa and be happy :) Having nice looking things is really what its all about anyays isn't it?

this really isn't drected at anyone just stating my thoughts.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic post AM!

I think we should start a trend were the no name corals are going for top dollar, drive down some prices and get rid of this ridiculous naming craze. I buy corals because of the way they look, not because it has an "LE poopsicle" name tag..

This should be a sticky.

animalmaster6
Althought i agree, I've had a less than 50% success rate with finding a match on zoaid. I usually bounce between a few sites trying to find a name till i basically give up..lol

heres a cool site for zoa's (don't know if their proper names but still cool)

http://www.neptunescove.net/Zoas_page.php

That's great thanks!

I like the trade names. I HATE there are more than one trade name for each form though. Hate it. It confuses things and a lot of times makes me wish there are no names.

This thread wasn't directed towards anybody, it was just a thread showing people an easy way to find zoa id's :)

I think we should start a trend were the no name corals are going for top dollar, drive down some prices and get rid of this ridiculous naming craze.

The flaw in that logic is that if you've got a crappy coral with a cool name everyone wants it, and if you've got a no-name nicest chalice ever you won't get more than $20 a polyp because no one will click on the thread. It's not the names, it's the people buying because of the names that screw it all up...

The flaw in that logic is that if you've got a crappy coral with a cool name everyone wants it, and if you've got a no-name nicest chalice ever you won't get more than $20 a polyp because no one will click on the thread. It's not the names, it's the people buying because of the names that screw it all up...

Well it's a good thing I'm not in the hobby to make money than, because it work work out great. All of the sweet colored one's will be mine for cheap! Hey Org, I thought chalices had "eyes", not polyps(per say). :lol:

(just bustin yer chops) :P

Free bump?

Hey organism, I was going through zoaid trying to id some of my zoas and saw your Red Halos. Tell me if you think these are the same. Thankspost-50865-1279823059_thumb.jpg

quote name='animalmaster6' date='Jul 19 2010, 02:39 PM' post='2931262']

I don't particularly mind all the zoa ID questions but if people read ZoaID people will find their answer quick! :)

I have spent lots of time on there trying to find some of my zoas. Its hard to distinguish between some of them. For instance are these zoas Kedd Redds or Rasberry Redds?

post-50865-1279823881_thumb.jpg

And are these Red Halos?

post-50865-1279823931_thumb.jpg

Hey organism, I was going through zoaid trying to id some of my zoas and saw your Red Halos. Tell me if you think these are the same. Thankspost-50865-1279823059_thumb.jpg

Those are fire and ice, the other ones you posted look like possibly safecracker reds or some red hornet clones. Where did they come from?

The Fire and Ice came from Coral Reef Farms in South Florida. They weren't that color when I got them. $5 bucks because there were just about 5 or 6 in clump at the bottom of one of there big tubs. I don't have much room in my BC14 so I look for nondescript small zoas and palys, put in my tank and see what they turn into. I got the Redds from them also but they were fragged up and about the size they are in the picture. They have probably doubled in size to date.

If you were referring to where they were collected, I have no idea.

While I have you guys attention, two more I need help with.

I think these are Gorrilla Nipples?

post-50865-1279825687_thumb.jpg

And I don't know what these are. I think its two different, closely related zoas.

post-50865-1279825732_thumb.jpg

Archived