Top Shelf Aquatics

I'm finally joining the RSM club!

jdizzle925

@ Toxic: how's your RSM coming along?

@ sea bass: thanks.

I still need to figure out how to mod the skimmer. I heard it doesn't skim well. And also, the MP10 is a little louder than what I expected. Anyone else own one and comment on the noise? I can hear the motor humm from the dry side at least 20 feet away.

MP10 should quite down after a week or so of use, make sure it is lined up correctly. Modding the skimmer doesn't do a whole lot, save up and purchase the Tunze 9002 when you are ready

I have added you to the RSM index thread

@ Toxic: how's your RSM coming along?

pretty good... it took me 4 trys but i got my aquascape how i want it...

check the link in my sig..

Wow. Came home today and I swear my MP10 is 10x quiter. Could it just me acclimating to it? :-) Tonight I'm working on getting the lights and skimmer back online. Then I can finally drop my pesky maroon clown who has been confined to the sump for days now. :-/

Finished cleaning the stock skimmer today.

db487b23.jpg

Some thoughts:

- It is a pretty complicated design which makes me refuse the idea of it being useless overall

- The aesthetics are actually pretty good. Its not cheap to manufacture molded plastic like this at small quantities

- The pump is more than adequate to generate pressure and bubbles

- There is no easy way to raise the bubble column up and down; air valve provides minimal adjustment at best

All that being said, I will take on the challenge of modding this skimmer to maximize its efficiency and adjustability. Hopefully between tap plastics and the mechanical engineering group at work, I have enough resources. My first thought would be integrating a gate valve at the output. A similar solution was implemented by ATI on the BM150 when it first came out. The resulting BM160 with a gate valve is not necessarily a better skimmer. It just allowed users to easily adjust the bubble column to skim wet or dry. I wish they had also figured out how to automatically adjust the gate valve to maintain the bubble column at max efficiency but Im sure that would have added significant cost.

Anyhow, if anyone has any ideas they want to throw at me on how to make the RSM 150 skimmer more efficient, please feel free to post in this thread.

Cheers!

Archived