inTank Media Baskets

chemi-pure elite? no water changes necessary?

almost2old4this

chucktdbm321

i have it and its bascially just carbon and some phos. remover in a nylon bag. You def still need to do your water changes lol. I think your supposed to replace like every couple months. IMO i think it might be better to buy some high grade carbon and some high grade phos remover. But this stuff is nice because its a combination of both products in one bag.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.asp...mp;child=BE1211

^^^does this stuff really make your aquarium that much better, do any of your nano-reefers use this product? does i come with a micron bag? do have to do water changes? what are the pluses to buying this?

and how often should i replace it? :D:D;):bowdown::lockdown::lockdown::lockdown:

Its basically carbon and a phosphate absorber mixed together. I used it in the past and switched to just carbon and phosguard. I switched because the carbon exhausted in 2 months. So to answer your question on how often you have to change it, I guess it will depend on your bioload. I change my carbon/phosguard every two weeks and dont worry about when its exhausted. And yes, you always have to do water changes! So it is a good product, just make sure you know the signs when the media gets exhausted or change it more frequently than stated.

almost2old4this
Chemi Pure makes your water wet and cures cancer. Yet you do still have to do water changes. Replace every 3-4 months.

thankyou everyone. on the website it said no water changes necessary. i just wanted to ask some good online folks:]

I've been running it and actually I'm not sure if it really works any better than a phosphate remover and carbon.. I still have to run additional phosphate remover in my biocube with SPS or I see them lose some color. It's also supposed to absorb DOCs but so does carbon/GFO. It's convenient though as it's already bagged.. but 20 bucks for 2 half units.. eh.. I'm probably gonna have to switch to just GFO and phosban..

almost2old4this
I've been running it and actually I'm not sure if it really works any better than a phosphate remover and carbon.. I still have to run additional phosphate remover in my biocube with SPS or I see them lose some color. It's also supposed to absorb DOCs but so does carbon/GFO. It's convenient though as it's already bagged.. but 20 bucks for 2 half units.. eh.. I'm probably gonna have to switch to just GFO and phosban..

if u could send me the links to the bag u use. and carbon, and phosphate removal too. i would be so greatful.

btw:::im building my aquapod 12g hqi right now. with cpr bakpak, and current usa surface skimmer:] i took the original back filter completely off the tank:}]]][][][][]

if u could send me the links to the bag u use. and carbon, and phosphate removal too. i would be so greatful.

I have to start looking myself.. but you can bet it'll be at bulkreefsupply dot com.. BRS.

btw:::im building my aquapod 12g hqi right now. with cpr bakpak, and current usa surface skimmer:] i took the original back filter completely off the tank:}]]][][][][]

Cool.. you already sound addicted ;).. welcome to the hobby.

just make sure you know the signs when the media gets exhausted or change it more frequently than stated.

What would the signs be that it is exhuasted?

What would the signs be that it is exhuasted?

Well for me, I started to get a diatom outbreak and it took me a couple of weeks to recover once I switched out the chemipure elite for carbon/phosguard. Again, now I dont worry about when its going to expire and just change the carbon/phosguard every two weeks. I have enough things to worry about when it comes to maintaining my tank.

• 11 years later...

I just added Chemi pure elite 2 days ago and dropped those phosphates in half. Just wondering if I should go ahead and do a water change or wait a week? Does this help with algae at all? My tank is 6 months old and I’m a beginner. How to clear up green algae

2 hours ago, Cbenoit said:

I just added Chemi pure elite 2 days ago and dropped those phosphates in half. Just wondering if I should go ahead and do a water change or wait a week? Does this help with algae at all? My tank is 6 months old and I’m a beginner. How to clear up green algae

You don't want PO4 too low either depending what corals you have. Too low can cause new types of problems like dino/green cyano.

Water changes still help replenish trace elements and major elements and allow you to clean the sand bed and remove debris. It is a balancing act. 

filefishfinatic

i dont do water changes and i dont have filtration on my tank all you need are some good established rocks, soft coral, and macroalgae. my chemipure that i made for free is a cockle shell covered in sea lettuce 

I only have a green polyp and Xenia. I wanted to make sure my tank became more stable. My phosphate were at .31 tested again after 24 hours dropped to .17 day after, today, phosphates are .07

what do I use to control my green algae. Some spits on my rock are a purplish maybe pink spots on them. Not a lot but some.

AFB6D2B8-CAED-49C5-89E5-021EA7294DC3.jpeg

7 hours ago, Cbenoit said:

You should probably open your own thread....maybe even a journal entry so you can keep overall track of your tank.

You don't control algae by starving it – you need a clean up crew (which includes you) to deal with it.

I would discontinue the Chemipure for the time being...before phosphates get lower.

Can you post a pic?  (Post a link to your thread here if you want.)

• Like 2