Innovative Marine Aquariums

Should I use a prizm skimmer?

spoondigity

spoondigity

Hi,

I am starting my first 10 gallon nano tank. I have been told to avoid venturi skimmers as they are too effective for this small a tank. Would a prizm skimmer be ok to use or would it over skim the tank? Could I run it 24 hours a day? Also, how often would I have to add trace elements if I did?

Thanks,

Andy

ya i would save the money and buy some corals or better lights.......if u already have it i would use in very little if at all..the water changes will be oerfect for such a small tank......gl and read what chris has on this site their is so much info here,

This is highly up to you. They are not needed for normal nano filtration. Once your tank ages, it won't collect much of anything at all, and will only provide some water circulation. Water changes will keep normal tank conditions in check.

Normal filtration isn't really why I have a skimmer though. It is for those days when you aren't home and something big dies on you and you don't catch it in time. It is then that you will thank your lucky stars that you have one.

For me, it is insurance and a little peace of mind when dealing with a small system that can go from good to bad in a matter of hours.

Prizm.......hmmmmmmmmm? whats a prizm? whats a skimmer?

Dont worry about using a skimmer on a 10g. Spend the extra cash and get good lighting, good live rock, and good live sand. Just make sure you do a 1-2 gallon water change every 7-10 days (10-20%). I currently do 1-2 gallon water change weekly on a 7 g and I have no problems. NONE at all...

Good luck and let us know if you have any additional questions...

parhead

Originally posted by parhead

Prizm.......hmmmmmmmmm?  whats a prizm? whats a skimmer?

It is those things that people use when they have a life and may be gone for a few days at a time...

I do have a life and I travel extensively for work.

When I travel, I'm gone for an entire week. I just make sure I do water change before and after the trip. I've had no problems to date (knock on wood....) :)

Not saying that YOU don't have a life, and I hope you didn't think I meant it that way. And to be honest, I hope you never do have a problem. The skimmer isn't meant to replace doing water changes though. It is for the turbo that kicks it after you leave.

Going without a skimmer is kind of like not using a seatbelt; everything is peachy until you crash. :P

To be honest, most of the time mine doesn't collect a damn thing... but that is the point and the way it should be. It is there if there actually is something to collect.

spoondigity

Thanks for all of the posts. I have quickly learned that in this hobby, one question can be answered 50 ways by 50 people. I like to get a general concensus and then do what my gut tells me to do. I went ahead and ordered a Prizm. It was $82 including shipping. My light situation is good so I don't really have anything else I need to spend the money on (not that I am out to just spend money for no reason). I got a collective feeling from this thread and several friends I have spoken to, that you can do without but it is an added safety to have one.

Thanks again,

Andy

good call going with the skimmer. for all of the already stated reasons and for another added benefit, aeration. skimmers are great for aerating the water.

Archived