Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

zoa vs egg crate

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

so i have zoas growing onto and attaching to egg crate. which wouldn't be bad except for:

a. - when you try to remove the frag it causes the zoas to break apart stressing them which leads to more healing time which in turn leads to more zoas on the egg crate and the cycle repeats.

b. - they grow on the sides so I have to either frag them off, or lose the space for a plug. I would rather they grow onto something again if possible. Surround the plugs with tiles?

so I was looking for an ingenious solution to solve both a &b, preferably one that allows these stray zoas on the crate to grow out back onto plugs(?) I was thinking a spacer, or something like a washer to prop up the zoas so they have to at least cover the rubber spacer before making it to the egg crate. Or maybe a plug with a thicker lip...cradled plugs? etc... Is there a different plug that I am not seeing that is larger than a few egg crate squares?

Frag your frags before they overgrow the plug?

Sorry I just don't see any easy way to do it unless you pack the eggcrate full of plugs and leave as little space as possible for them to grow anyplace else.

I don't like using the tiles. They seem to get brittle and crumble after a while.

johnmaloney

yeah i don't like tiles either. the plugs i have are pretty tiny to begin with, maybe that is my problem.....but you still can't put them all next to each other either ..they start getting crooked. They don't make a plug that fits 9 egg crate slots but so that the others sit flush do they? (did that make sense?) I swear I looked before posting, I can't find them...

reefkoi once upon a time had hexagon shapeed frag plugs which sat dge to edge in your rack. This would be great for what your wanting. or something similar.. I have seen square tiles as well. Unfortunately I don't have any links handy at the moment. I'll try to locate either for you.

johnmaloney

oh cool, i will have to email him. i met the owner at a frag swap in west palm once, really nice guy too.

found something, much bigger disk it looks like.

johnmaloney

the problem seems trivial but when multiplied out it is a real pain. every little efficiency you know?

Solution:

Go to home depot and get some granite countertop tile, clean it really well, BOOM frag tiles. Or go to your local acrylic shop, have them make you squares and rods and epoxy them together, square shaped plugs.

Solution:

Go to home depot and get some granite countertop tile, clean it really well, BOOM frag tiles. Or go to your local acrylic shop, have them make you squares and rods and epoxy them together, square shaped plugs.

Archived