Innovative Marine Aquariums

R.I.P. Swayd's 20L!

swayd

So today I am transfering everything from my 9gallon to my new 20L...

I am excited and cannot wait to go home and hang the light so I can get started on everything. I am going to transfer some water from my old tank to the new one and then my fish and coral.... I cant wait to post pictures!

Any advice on the transfer?

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omgomgomg

Umm I haven't transferred everything from one tank to another before, but I guess I would say don't rush, and have water prepared just in case something goes wrong

Well I am just going to transfer most of my water from my 9G into my 20L because I have been using the filter media from my 9G to establish and cycle my 20L!

I think everything should be ok, I did tests last night and all params have been stable for the past 5 weeks!

In the pictures it looks like it is a bit overkill but in person it looks awesome... its just the crappy phone pics, sorry.

Everything looks good so far, especially my candy cane.

Yeah I grew up all over the BAY and I cant think of any other place I would like to live, Cali is where its at people, so start packing your bags and come on over! ;):P:D

Ok, quick update...

I got an in-tank skimmer but it takes up too much space!

I also got like 20lbs of LR from my brother who is taking down his tank, but I am going to cycle it in my 9gal for a week just to be safe!

If I get a chance I will post pics tomorrow!

Stunning looking tank! Looking forward to seeing the scape with the new LR!

thank you!

Lol how can you fit 20lbs of rock in a 9gal? :P

Can't wait to see this filled with LR and more corals! omgomgomg

Oh, if you could see my 9Gal you would be like WTF!!!!!!!!

But I can wait till the LR cycles and in my 20L, its going to be awesome... at least for me it will be! :D

CUC

- 2 Red Leg Hermits

- 2 Dwarf Mexican Turbos

- 4 Cerith snails

Maybe next week I will go get 3 blue leg hermits or 4 more snails?

And new LR goes in on sunday!!!!!!

That is true they did kill all my snails in my 9G. :(

Really, dang I hope they dont get out of control lol :scarry:

I am starting to break out with algae so I was worried but thats why I only go these for now and if it gets worse by next wed/thurs maybe I will consider some more.

I just took a look into my tank one of the red leg hermit just devoured like 4 square inches of algae in like 15 minutes! :happydance:omgomgomg

That is true they did kill all my snails in my 9G. :(

Really, dang I hope they dont get out of control lol :scarry:

I am starting to break out with algae so I was worried but thats why I only go these for now and if it gets worse by next wed/thurs maybe I will consider some more.

I just took a look into my tank one of the red leg hermit just devoured like 4 square inches of algae in like 15 minutes! :happydance:omgomgomg

Lol they killed all my snails in my 55gal, it was a pain to watch the tank and try to pick out all the hermits.

Lol yeah, it's cool when they do that. Unfortunately, my snails only do that every once and a while 0.o Its like random haha

I dont believe my LFS has any...

Every time I ask them if they have any they get all confused lol.

Actually yes I would if it is possible! :bowdown::blush:

Lol how does someone get confused over that? 0.o

Umm what's your zip?

So I dropped by my LFS today and picked up 5 baby Blue Leg Hermits and a bunch of shells, and a single head of blue/teal candy cane...

The candy cane is still acclimating but the blue legs are hard at work lol.

I also added two very nice pieces of LR that I had cycling in my 9G and I think it looks pretty cool. I have about 20lbs more of LR in my 9g again cycling and will hopefully put that in on 9/18 or 9/25 depending on how long I decide to wait.

I am trying to load pics from my phone but they are taking forever, sorry!

So I am dealing with an intense algae bloom right now. Hopefully my CUC can handle it for now.

What kind of algae? With a newly set up tank sounds like it could be cyano.

CUC is a good first step but I always try to get at the root cause, not just the symptoms..possibly po4 build up, etc. Otherwise, it'll just be back. Goodluck :)

Just looked at your pics and saw a minijet? as the only source of flow. You might want to look for something that pushes a little more water in that 20L. Koralia 1 or even a pair of them would be ideal IMO

Archived