Innovative Marine Aquariums

DIY LED Frag/Fuge light

disaster999

Ok. I couldn't pull that lamp fast enough with the red LED in it. It was literally making me sick to my stomach! :mellow:

disaster999

lemme go back and look at it again, maybe with you mentioning about the red LED i will notice something as well

• 2 weeks later...
disaster999

question on my LED setup. so on the driver, it mentioned the output current is 650mah+/-5%. I measured my string of LED and the voltage im getting is 39.5V

simple math yields each LED is getting around 3.3V. does that seem right? am i really driving my LEDs at 650mah?

i beleive red leds foreward voltage tend to be 2.2ish

if that is true your other leds are getting about 3.4 which is reasonable

3.3v sounds fine. LED voltage changes with current, and the values listed in the datasheets are just expected maximums, not hard fast numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

pazhope, im not really sure what kind of heatsink i have, but i just found that locally in the electronic store i was getting my supplies from. it gets the job done and i dont even have to add a fan for it.

• 7 months later...
disaster999

its been 7 months since i built this light.and so far it has worked out for me pretty well. it went 7 months without a fan and it never got hot. it barely got warm in the winter months when temps dropped to 10c weather.

one thing i really didnt like is the color blending of the light. because of the design constraints i had, i wasnt able to mount the light that high. the LED spacing was a bit wide which leads to blue and white spots. some corals were too blue while others are yellowish. the initial LED config was a bit too yellow as well. there were more white than blue which wasnt appealing so i did a little rearranging, removed some whites and added more blue. helped the color a bit, still have spotlight effect and the lights didnt blend too well.

with the new sump i recently got, i decided it was time to upgrade my light as well. the old light had 7 blue, 4 white and 1 red. this new one have 10 blues, 6 whites and 1 red. i did 3 rolls instead of 2. needed an extra driver and with the increase of LED on a similar headsink size, i had to add a fan as well. here is the finished product taken with my phone.

IMAG0320.jpg

with the new sump, the water level of the frag area is a lot lower and i was able to mount the light a lot higher this time. the colors blended together really well this time. with the increase of LED, the red wasnt all that overpowering. i ran the light without the fan and it sure got a bit toasty, but the fan kept the temps in check. ill post more picture of the setup later on tonight

disaster999

more pics

_DSC5735.JPG

_DSC5741.JPG

_DSC5736.JPG

_DSC5740.JPG

overall very pleased with the light. it puts out a TON of light. the 10 blue, 6 white and 1 red gives off a really good color. its not too blue or white. the red is not overpowering at all and it gives a nice touch of color.

one thing im surprised about is, the light is a good 6-7" off the water surface and with the 60degree optics, the spread isnt as wide as i hoped. directly under the light is very bright. but just outside the light the intensity quickly drops.

Archived