Cultivated Reef

Crinoid Squat Lobster

FreakShow

I came across these on liveaquaria when looking for interesting inverts for a nano. I recommended it to someone then realized I don't really know jack shiznit about it. Anyone have experience with these guys? They look really cool. They are supose to be reef safe and only a few inches long.

lg-36816-squat-lobster.jpg

cheryl jordan

The only person I can think of that might have some experience is Bongo Shrimp, the member. You might try checking out his tank threads.

;)

Yeah, those are actually crabs, lobster is a misnomer...and their reef safety is HIGHLY doubtful. They appear as hitchhikers on LR from time to time.

Of course Im from the anti-crab school of nanner-reefing (except hermies) so I might be biased.

Weird that they are referred to as crinoid which I believe represents the starfish family or something.

IDK -- there's cooler things to put in your tank. Just sayin.

They're commensals of crinoids in the wild, thus the name, and a bunch of people in my local reef club have them and seem to like them.

Our local supplier says they are reef safe, but that you can't keep two together unless they are a pair.

They are deceptively small critters based on the pics you see online.

lakshwadeep

Well, crab is also slightly misleading (these aren't "true" Brachyuran crabs like emeralds and are more closely related to porcelain "crabs").

They were mentioned in a Reef Life article about crinoids, but only as 3-page description of various crinoid hitchhikers. Some of the crustaceans were said to eat small food caught in the crinoid, and squat lobsters were found near the base of the arms.

Fishfreak218
Yeah, those are actually crabs, lobster is a misnomer...and their reef safety is HIGHLY doubtful. They appear as hitchhikers on LR from time to time.

Of course Im from the anti-crab school of nanner-reefing (except hermies) so I might be biased.

Weird that they are referred to as crinoid which I believe represents the starfish family or something.

IDK -- there's cooler things to put in your tank. Just sayin.

lolol :rolleyes:

lakshwadeep
hey lakshwa, is it a Porcelain type of "crab/lobster" because 6 legs? Is that the deal for that whole family?

Yes, they should have 3 pairs of "walking legs" versus 4 for "true crabs". The last pair is hidden in the gill chamber. This is true for all Anomurans, which besides squat lobsters and porcelain crabs also include hermit crabs, king crabs, and mole/sand crabs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomura

Bongo Shrimp

Well he used to host in my crinoids before the one day that I did a water change and all the crinoids fell apart and died. Params were fine, no idea what it was. :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

(DON'T EVEN START WITH ME ABOUT THAT^)

Anyhow, I just found him the other day. He is fine without his crinoid friends (I will be getting more in the near future...) and he likes to hang upside down under small crevasses or in some SPS corals. he keeps his claws extended almost all the time like the one on the top left in the pic posted up there. As things in the water column pass by he tries to grab them, such as frozen mysis.

Yep, there he is trying to hide where I can't reach with the razor blade to get rid of the algae on the glass. Also next to his former partner and good friend, one of my crinoids. :tears:

DSC_0075.jpg

Edited by Bongo Shrimp
animalmaster6
Well he used to host in my crinoids before the one day that I did a water change and all the crinoids fell apart and died. Params were fine, no idea what it was. :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

(DON'T EVEN START WITH ME ABOUT THAT^)

I am SO sorry Bongo :(:tears:

Bongo Shrimp
I am SO sorry Bongo :(:tears:

Yep... ... ... ... :{

But on the bright side, I'm confident more will come in to my LFS and I have made sure my name will be on them BEFORE they even make it into the tanks there. :D

Edited by Bongo Shrimp
animalmaster6

:(

But on the bright side, I'm confident more will come in to my LFS and I have made sure my name will be on them BEFORE they even make it into the tanks there. :D

:happydance:

• 7 years later...

Are they 2 inches around the carapace? Or are they 2 inches long when their claws are fully extended?

Are they 2 inches around the carapace? Or are they 2 inches long when their claws are fully extended?