ReefCleaners.org

Jing's 3g LED Pico

PirateJing

PirateJing

Hey fellow reefers,

With much convincing from Badfish :lol: I have decided to start my pico back up. My old thread was under the Username toothpik, but i forgot the password haha. Anyway, I still have the equipment and such from the old tank so here is the plan so far.

Equipment

3 gallon pico

Aqua clear 50 mod

Theo heater

PAR30 LED

3-5lbs of live rock

5lbs of estees black sand

Corals

Green Torch

various zoas

Crocea Clam

Blastomussas

Neon Candy Canes

Superman Montipora

Various Acans

Metallic GSP

Blue acro

Fish

2 Baby Snowflake Clownfish

FTS July 2010

IMG_0115.jpg

FTS Oct 2010

IMG_0267.jpg

FTS Nov 2010

IMG_0338.jpg

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Welcome back. You could probably get your username and pass back from an admin.

Good luck with the new start. I can't wait for my second project.

PirateJing

Thank you Mr. Microscope. I am not too worried about my old username. I have viewed your tank thread and I must say you have quite the tank. It looks very good! I may steal the idea with the ATO system haha

Mr. Microscope

Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback. Feel free to take the ATO. Just be warned it goes quick in the winter.

PirateJing

Warning heeded. By any chance, do they have bigger sizes for the bottles? you know for like the fatter hamsters and gerbils haha

Mr. Microscope
Warning heeded. By any chance, do they have bigger sizes for the bottles? you know for like the fatter hamsters and gerbils haha

:lol:

The 1 liter the largest one I could find. You could use something bigger, but it has to be solid. If there is any give/squeeze to the bottle, the outside air pressure will push in water. A big glass jar would work well if you could rig it up somehow.

PirateJing

i see i see. Thank you very much. Ah, just to get the physics straight. The tube is just set at the desired waterline. And gravity will fill till the water covers the tube opening and pressure will equalize right?

Maybe you could just add another water bottle?

haha tis a JBJ . Glass is the way to go . since acrylic gets scratched easily and such. =D

Nice :) My 3gal pico is acrylic and has like 1000 scratches on it lol

PirateJing

haha yup, they tend to get those. If the scratches do get to be a bother, just use it as an excuse to get another tank :D and another bottle seems to be a good idea. nice one!

Mr. Microscope
i see i see. Thank you very much. Ah, just to get the physics straight. The tube is just set at the desired waterline. And gravity will fill till the water covers the tube opening and pressure will equalize right?

Yep. :happy:

PirateJing

thanks jacob =D and i'm just going to get the par 38 due to the life expectancy

Mr. microscope- thank you for your help =D i shall credit you with the success haha

PirateJing

haha unfortunately, I can't get started with this project till fall semester or mid august. Due to the fact, I must work all summer to get money and drive to see my girlfriend and snowboard. But I know , with starving myself of meals, I can raise money for this tank , just like the good ol days haha

LED- lasts longer before replacement, doesnt put off direct heat into tank.

MH- more vibrant coral colors...thats about it.

I personally would be interested in seeing MH since right now my pico is LED and is going to stay that way xD

PirateJing

haha, I will stick with my MH for the time being. In the future , i may order LEDs and switch my MH to my 10 gallon tank. And newman, your tank looks great =D

Archived