Pod Your Reef

What is this brown stuff on my leather coral? PICTURE included

Guest excitedforfish

Guest excitedforfish

Hi,

So I have had a diatom bloom recently and now all this rust colored stuff is beginning to take over my leather coral. Its base is the worst:

DSC09136.jpg

What should I do? I tried taking a turkey baster and blowing most of the algae off of its fingers, but it just keeps coming back.

Any recommendations? BTW, is that even algae on its base?

leathers are notorious for getting a waxy coating when they receed and normally it seems once they expand back up they have grown to some extent or another. I have see the kenya sprout whole new branches and the toad stool gain general size all over when this occures.

Guest excitedforfish
how long has this been going on?

About 5 days. My tank is only 1 week old.

leathers are notorious for getting a waxy coating when they receed and normally it seems once they expand back up they have grown to some extent or another. I have see the kenya sprout whole new branches and the toad stool gain general size all over when this occures.

My leather has shrunk to half its size from when we got it. Could that be why?

Also, should I try and take the algae growing on it off? This picture is of just one small frag - above it there are about 10 more fingers that are just covered my floating brown algae. Gross :(

About 5 days. My tank is only 1 week old.

You shouldn't even have a coral in there yet unless it was a Hitchiker from the rock which from the sounds of it is not what was discribed. Its likely the water chemistry is totally jacked up and your just killing it. What are you tanks water parameters.

My leather has shrunk to half its size from when we got it. Could that be why?

Also, should I try and take the algae growing on it off? This picture is of just one small frag - above it there are about 10 more fingers that are just covered my floating brown algae. Gross :(

Yeah when they start dieing they whither away like that.. and its likely not brown algae its more likely dieing flesh so leave it there its trying to protect itself if you tank has not compelted its cycle yet.

Best bet is to find someone with a cycled tank that can keep it for you for a while.

I'd move the mushrooms and any other corals as well.

Guest excitedforfish
You shouldn't even have a coral in there yet unless it was a Hitchiker from the rock which from the sounds of it is not what was discribed. Its likely the water chemistry is totally jacked up and your just killing it. What are you tanks water parameters.

Yeah when they start dieing they whither away like that.. and its likely not brown algae its more likely dieing flesh so leave it there its trying to protect itself if you tank has not compelted its cycle yet.

Best bet is to find someone with a cycled tank that can keep it for you for a while.

I'd move the mushrooms and any other corals as well.

We got the rock with this huge mushroom and coral on it. The mushrooms are multiplying like crazy but this leather is not doing so great.

My tank has cycled:

Ammonia: 0

pH: 8.2

Temp: 77

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10-15

Bonsai1963

My toadstool leather has a similar problem, only on its' base where it's attatched to the rock. See link

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...mp;ppuser=53980

I was told by my LFS to increase the water flow on the coral, and gently sweep with a soft toothbrush.

The brushing did little if anything, as mine is more a thin encrusting algae. But the increased water flow has kept it from spreading. It actually grew over the area, only to have it come through the new skin, as in the picture. When I asked about it here...one "smart one" said to back away more than 3" from the glass would help...c'mon...there's a problem I can see from across the room.

After directing some flow on the coral, by all means, know your nitrate and phosphate levels.

Clean your mechanical floss or whatever frequently. It's like changing your underwear... well sorta.

The more frequently you clean your floss/filter pad/pre-filter... the better.

How long have you had the coral, and keep an eye out for the same problem elsewhere over time.

My algae is coming on the glass faster than usual. I know it's past time for a water change, and new chemical media.

Good Luck Happy Independance Day all...

Bonsai1963

I agree with degener8 that you shouldn't have corals in there yet on a 1 week old tank.

I disagree that it's dying, and covered with decaying flesh, and that it should be left, that is since you 1st stated you have a diatom bloom, and your parameters stated, are nice, but, it's a NEW system.

There's more to "new tank syndrome" than amonia and nitrites. And the brown algae is there right after the cycle, even if you don't "cycle". It is possible to not have an amonia spike with lots of good fully cured rock.

You still will however have new tank syndrome to some degree as it goes through the changes and becomes fully established.

Excellent advice, to have a friend keep the coral for you while your tank stabilizes. Maybe even the LFS will

hold it for you. Just one more good reason to have a quarantine tank up and running. I'm actually considering

putting a large rock in quarantine with an urchin to eat the cotton candy hair algae.

I'm jealous of your 77 degrees. Have to wait till winter for that here. Reminds me to unplug my heater.

Thanx!

cheryl jordan

I think you have flatworms on your mushrooms, sorry. -_-

Could just be the picture, but looks like flatworms to me.

Archived