SaltCritters.com

recommended powerheads

realhiphop

What size tank are you planning on running your powerhead on? I have a 7gal minibow with a Rio50 as the only powerhead running. I am going to be changing to a MiniJet 404 (108 gallons per hour), because I have read that they are more reliable and quieter than the Rio. As for the AquaClear brand powerheads, I haven't read anything about them.

Gil

At lowe's you can get small statuary pumps with suction cups rated a 30GPH for $13, a 70 GPH for $17, and a 120 GPH unit for $19. All are smaller than they average powerhead.

I bought the 30 GPH unit and I have to say that I think it pushes a lot more than 30GPH (says 45 GPH at the outlet, but is marked as a 30GPH unit on the box). It is by far the most compact unit they had (1.8" x 2.1" x 1.7"), and it really cranks out the current. It seems to be quite under rated.

I have ran three of the 30 (45 like I have it setup) GPH units for 3 months now without fail. For $13, I couldn't be happier. I pulled them out of the box, stuck them on the side of the glass and plugged them in, and that is where they have been running ever since.

Coralline algae seems to like them for some reason as well! Here is a pic of the top of one.

coralline%20on%20my%20pump.jpg

I quite like the Maxi-jets and the new mini-jets. I have used the AC's in the past, they are decent PH's.

I suggest going with the mini-jets as they are quite small and would suit a small tank. If the tank is larger than 10G I suggest going with the Maxijets.

is that enough circulation for a 20 gallon?also, what would the advantage be of using two of those opposed to 2 maxijet 400's?

Christopher Marks

Definately. You'll want the flow to "collide" at some point. That helps to divert it throughout the tank. You might also want to concider using a spraybar on one of them too. :happy:

I think the most important difference is that the maxijets have an aimable nozzle, while the minis do not (they may come with a swivel nozzle, but it's still limited in adjustability).

I like the marineland powerheads.

They are quiet and relaible. They dont need any calibration or priming to start. just stick them in and plug them in then your off to the races.

Joe

600 gph is only too much if your corals look like they're in a hurricane and it's stressing their tissue or they're not opening because of the current.

I was using two MaxiJets in my 20L, with one on a timer to stay on about 8 hours a day, with the other running constantly. Worked quite well, but I added a power filter, so I removed the one on the timer. I think they are 606's. They're much more adjustible than the MiniJets, though one Mini and one Maxi would work quite well, too.

From an unbiased opinion here! I have all three of the following brands, Maxi Jet, Aqua Clear, and Rio and of the three I prefer the Maxi Jet the most! It comes with the most accessories, and was the cheapest! And its been running a long time! If i had to go with downright reliability then I'd have to go woth Aqua Clear. I have 2 of their powerhead 201's that are 8 years old and still running and "HAVE NOT" been rebuilt! I hear the RIO's have a problem with melting and oozing out a substance into your tank so I plan on replacing mine soon! B)

Archived