Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

July 2010 - Sandeep

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

For July we're featuring Sandeep and his 5.5 gallon pico reef!

featuredreef.jpg

Click the picture above to check out his reef profile! You can find Sandeep's tank journal here in our Members Aquariums forum. Feel free to post any comments or questions you may have for Sandeep, and he'll try his best to answer them.

Thank you for an amazingly inspiring tank. You believe in all the principles that I base my tank upon, and its so nice to see such a low tech, beautiful tank running and looking this good. Congratulations!

The best monthly reef profile write up ever! I loved reading this months article. A very nice tank too. So eloquently written as well. I really enjoyed reading about the Elegance Coral fragging. I will PM you more about this as I have an Elegance coral in my nano that is getting too big and I would love to get rid of it but retain a small frag of it. Well done!

quoted from the reef profile for awesomeness:

As the world gets more and more complex and we get embroiled in an artificial reality with everything from iPhones, to GPS, Youtube, Facebook, etc. don't ever loose your connection with nature. Don't ever loose that childlike fascination, curiosity or wonder at the natural world around you. That connection with nature is your connection with God and the universe at large. Reefing is tremendously spiritual and therapeutic in that regard. Spend a few minutes every day looking at your tank, clear your mind and be in awe of the natural world and it's living processes. That peace of mind that my little reef tank provides me is priceless and my lifeline to reality and sanity in an increasingly unreal world. Keep on reefing!

Wow what a tank. Wish there was a can or something for perspective. You are correct, the tank looks big and very roomy for its size.

Neat!

Cheers,

1st, i love your tank, very beautiful.

i too am a lo tech guy. 10 years ago when i started my first reef i got caught up in all the technology, rigorous testing, constant additives, the list goes on. it nearly caused me to leave the hobby. but then through trial and error i found to a lo tech, slow paced method that has saved me money, time, and renewed my enjoyment in the hobby.

you mentioned water flow. it has been my experience that water flow is crucial when using hid lamps that create that "dazzle effect" the focused energy in the bright spots can be near 100 times stronger in intensity. this can causes rapid heating of the coral "flesh", think magnifying glass and ant. the higher flow rates can work to keep those cooled. there is a good study on water flow rates, temperatures, and coral health done at university in hawaii, that supports high flow rates for coral health in increasing ocean temperatures. your lighting is diffused enough to nullify the effect.

-cheers

Archived