Pod Your Reef

Cree LED Office Pico Reef

bxz

I don't think many people know what those stars eat. I don't think they tend to live very long in captivity. I had one. It seemed fine for a while, but eventually started shrinking a bit and finally died. I tried to feed it lots of different things and there was certainly plenty of algae for it to eat, but I could never get it to eat anything. Good luck...I think the best guesses on what it eats are certain types of sponges or maybe types of bi-valves.

Oh and yeah, the tank looks great! <jealous>

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thx man, what kinda light you are using? make sure it's not too strong or the zoa will shrink.

Is that a real spider in ur hand? man, that's huge!

I'm running 4 buld T-5 156 watts, 2 acts and 2 days over my 30 gal.

yes that is a real tarantula in my hand, Thats my first tarantula I had raised up from a baby, it's a Brachypelma smithi, Mexican Red Knee, named her Leanna, she is 7yrs old.

thats a red knee tarantula, yes they can get big :P

Yup they can get big like 5 to 6 inches, but Brachypelmas species are known for being a bulky tarantala

what is that sps coral right above the froggie that has blue and greens on it

I'm not too good at iding sps, all i know i love it.

It looks like a green or blue polyp bird's nest. Hard to tell the polyp color with the actinic light.

It looks like a green or blue polyp bird's nest. Hard to tell the polyp color with the actinic light.

either color it has, i love it

thx eman, guess I have no way to target feed it then, let it be and we'll see how long it'll go, do you remember how long ur star lasted? this one has been in the tank for 6 months now.

I don't think many people know what those stars eat. I don't think they tend to live very long in captivity. I had one. It seemed fine for a while, but eventually started shrinking a bit and finally died. I tried to feed it lots of different things and there was certainly plenty of algae for it to eat, but I could never get it to eat anything. Good luck...I think the best guesses on what it eats are certain types of sponges or maybe types of bi-valves.

Oh and yeah, the tank looks great! <jealous>

I read the tarantula is venomous, scares me you put it in ur hand though, what if they bite?

I'm running 4 buld T-5 156 watts, 2 acts and 2 days over my 30 gal.

yes that is a real tarantula in my hand, Thats my first tarantula I had raised up from a baby, it's a Brachypelma smithi, Mexican Red Knee, named her Leanna, she is 7yrs old.

Yup they can get big like 5 to 6 inches, but Brachypelmas species are known for being a bulky tarantala

yep, it's a green birdie.

Not sure what happened, the replies used to be all combined, now it's all separate...

Here you go.

op51.jpg

op52.jpg

Tank looks awesome!! can you post some more pics of the light set up ? i want to do something similar how did you arrange the LEDs

thx snookman, the frogspawn is just growing so well now that I'm not sure if I should take him out or leave it there, the pico is running out of space, maybe I should take something out.

op53.jpg

Simply amazing!!! Your corals have grown so much good job.
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to stop in for the first time on these forums and say that is one of the nicest pico's I have seen, the color is amazing with your DIY LED setup. Did you read anything before attempting to do your LEDs? I would love to try something like it. I am starting a 3gal Pico so I have been reading a lot of threads to get ideas on stuff.

Here is currently my only tank since I moved and tore down my 120, its odd how I am going down in size instead of up.

photo.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys not updating for a while, just moved and had our new born last month. the pico is officially dismantled, everything went into my new 67XL upgrades, the sea star somehow melted away. thx for all those tagging along, hope someday I'll start a new one if not that busy.

yes we need some info on what that star eats. i seem to have forgotten, you probably told us this before :P
fearofablackmetalplanet

love thecolor choices & the way your fish, inverts and corals look under that light. very pleasing to look at.

redkneecoral

First thing to say, Congrats on your newborn.

Sad to see that extremely beautiful tank had to go. I loved that tank.

I want that light lol

Archived