SaltCritters.com

Cree LED Office Pico Reef

bxz

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the tank at LFS here, it's selling for about $20, it's a Japanese brand I remember. Most LFS here seem carrying them.

Your tank is really cool. where did you get it and what is it called?
Mr. Microscope

Wow! Looking really really nice! How's that starfish doing in there? Has it messed with any corals? Pretty BTW.

thx for dropping by Mr. Microscope. The red star seems doing fine with the corals, it's a reef safe star according to liveaquaria.com. All the SPS seem doing fine too, the monti is also encrusting. Got some nuisance hair algae going, not sure if by raising the mag can kill it.

Wow! Looking really really nice! How's that starfish doing in there? Has it messed with any corals? Pretty BTW.
ParanoidObseshun

You got a nice looking tank there! Looks like you also have enough room to build that rock up a little higher and give youself more room for corals, you know, if you wanted too lol.

it's not that easy to stack those small rocks up, and I didn't use any epoxy to glue them because that way I can take them out easily when cleaning the tank. Maybe just wait for the birds nest to grow and fill the tank :)

You got a nice looking tank there! Looks like you also have enough room to build that rock up a little higher and give youself more room for corals, you know, if you wanted too lol.

thx for dropping by. The maintenance is relatively easy. Top off every other day for half a paper cup. Water change every other week for half gal, clean the tank bottom every week just to get the poop out. And it's also easy to take out all the rock and coral if you wanna do a big cleaning of the tank if too much algae is growing on the glass wall and bottom.

Awesome tank. What kind of maintenance does that require (top off frequency, water changes, etc) ?

yes, now I get to work more earlier and leave even later, working is not that boring anymore....although now the wife complaints why coming home later than usual... :lol:

you are going to get so much done at your office now
  • 2 weeks later...
NanoReefer411

Your tank is really pretty. I don't want to sound mean, but that fromia starfish is probably not going to get enough food. I had one in my 40 breeder total water volume of 60 and it starved. =(

Thx for that information, is there a way to tell whether it's starving, this guy is moving everyday so far. Also there's some green hair algae growing again on the bottom, I'm planning to put some crushed coral bed and see how it goes.

Your tank is really pretty. I don't want to sound mean, but that fromia starfish is probably not going to get enough food. I had one in my 40 breeder total water volume of 60 and it starved. =(
NanoReefer411

Look up fromia starfish. Or fromia Sea Star. There will not be enough food in there for him. I had over 100 pounds of live sand, 75 pounds of live rock, with a 20 gallon refugium. They will end up getting a hole in their body.

Thx for that information, is there a way to tell whether it's starving, this guy is moving everyday so far. Also there's some green hair algae growing again on the bottom, I'm planning to put some crushed coral bed and see how it goes.

Awesome tank. Now I want to do a pico with LEDs. But I guess about everyone that sees this tank and doesn't already have a pico will be wishing to do one. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Left a business trip for 2 weeks and had an hair algae bloom, took everything out and cleaned it up and now with sand. This hair doesn't look the normal hair, not byropsis either, I hate hair algae...

op17.jpg

op16.jpg

I'm glad I made ur day happy, thx for dropping by.

looks very nice! I like how you keep it so simple in such a small tank =D this made my day haha :happy:

Not really, I guess the way I arrange the rock made it look like the Zoas are gone, they are all fine, I'll rearrange the rock next time I change water.

Man did the algae take out all those zoas?
I got the tank at LFS here, it's selling for about $20, it's a Japanese brand I remember. Most LFS here seem carrying them.

Any more specifics available on the tank? Looking for something just like that but not coming up with much.

-Bob

looks great

are you running the crees at full strength (1000ma) or somewhere less?

I'm still flip flopping on what to add to my 3g pico-- using 6w of 10,000K right now, and 2 1w CW LEDs at 350ma. I think 2 RB @ 350ma, then maybe up the driver in the future. Certainly looks like you've got plenty of light in your 2.5

Again, looks great! If you had something on the back wall (gsp, xenia, etc) you wouldn't have to worry about algae growing there.... or maybe some macro that you can prune easily.

Thx Sandcruiser, I'm running the Cree at 500ma, I put some colt coral on the back the other day, hope they don't run over the whole tank soon :) , you should definitely try the RB, it brings color to ur tank.

Some new shots:

op38.jpg

op39.jpg

looks great

are you running the crees at full strength (1000ma) or somewhere less?

I'm still flip flopping on what to add to my 3g pico-- using 6w of 10,000K right now, and 2 1w CW LEDs at 350ma. I think 2 RB @ 350ma, then maybe up the driver in the future. Certainly looks like you've got plenty of light in your 2.5

Again, looks great! If you had something on the back wall (gsp, xenia, etc) you wouldn't have to worry about algae growing there.... or maybe some macro that you can prune easily.

Archived