Top Shelf Aquatics

new-b-reefers LED picotope (pic heavy!)

new-b-reefer

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pep shrimp makes it more interesting :)

nice update.

thanks, i like having the peppermint shrimp in there. very active little thing. and picks up what little bits of food the damsel misses ;) nice to have a more ornamental invert in there rather than just the inverts included in the CUC. although they are neat too ;)

now I can guess why your pep shrimp is so active. it is under the cleaner shrimp category, so it's likely constantly trying to advertise itself for the damsel to stop by to eat from. when my pep shrimp was in my picotope, he would just hide under the rockwork all the time and only come out when food hit the water (he is now in my 10 gal's AC110). I had no fish in the pico so it probably had no reason to be out in the open.

• 3 weeks later...
new-b-reefer

Yay, i finally converted my ac 50 to a fuge :) and did it in a way that did not require modification to the factory media basket :)

Went to michaels, the arts and crafts store and for 75 cents I picked up a sheet of this plastic grate, grid, mesh, whatever you want to call it. It is white plastic sheet with a bunch of small square holes in it ;) I cut it to fit and wrap the inside of the media basket and high enough to block the chaeto from flowing out and keep the snails and fish in the display :) I don't like to cut up the factory parts of things just incase I even wanted to use it in its original state. And this way worked great and didn't require any glueing or silicone. For light I have a led puck light (cool white) I bought from home depot a while back. 2.6 watt cool white led light, attached with velcro to the back of the fuge and it shines real bright right into the chaeto (cropped from the abundance I have growing in my nc28 fuge ;) threw in a couple empty hermit shells that were no longer inhabited, a couple pieces of small lr rubble, the chaeto of course and boom! Instant fuge :) and this way with keeping the media basket, the water is still forced to travel from the bottom of the filter, up throught all the chaeto and then back into the tank. I cut the filter sponge up into 2 small pieces and put them on either side of where the intake tube comes into the hob filter and that took care of the mechanical filtration too ;)

Pics to come once I get a chance. Very simple diy fuge mod.

• 2 weeks later...
new-b-reefer
Yay, i finally converted my ac 50 to a fuge :) and did it in a way that did not require modification to the factory media basket :)

Went to michaels, the arts and crafts store and for 75 cents I picked up a sheet of this plastic grate, grid, mesh, whatever you want to call it. It is white plastic sheet with a bunch of small square holes in it ;) I cut it to fit and wrap the inside of the media basket and high enough to block the chaeto from flowing out and keep the snails and fish in the display :) I don't like to cut up the factory parts of things just incase I even wanted to use it in its original state. And this way worked great and didn't require any glueing or silicone. For light I have a led puck light (cool white) I bought from home depot a while back. 2.6 watt cool white led light, attached with velcro to the back of the fuge and it shines real bright right into the chaeto (cropped from the abundance I have growing in my nc28 fuge ;) threw in a couple empty hermit shells that were no longer inhabited, a couple pieces of small lr rubble, the chaeto of course and boom! Instant fuge :) and this way with keeping the media basket, the water is still forced to travel from the bottom of the filter, up throught all the chaeto and then back into the tank. I cut the filter sponge up into 2 small pieces and put them on either side of where the intake tube comes into the hob filter and that took care of the mechanical filtration too ;)

Pics to come once I get a chance. Very simple diy fuge mod.

moved the ac50 fuge to my 20 gallon reef tank where it would do more good. i do 30-50% water changes on the picotope every week anyway, and the fuge light made it hard to sleep well at night since the tank sits right next to my head. now running the factory picotope hob filter and a rio50 power head for flow (just like i did when i started the tank :) ) the over all look of the tank seems so much more simple now. kinda cool :) up dated pics to come :)

• 2 weeks later...
new-b-reefer
moved the ac50 fuge to my 20 gallon reef tank where it would do more good. i do 30-50% water changes on the picotope every week anyway, and the fuge light made it hard to sleep well at night since the tank sits right next to my head. now running the factory picotope hob filter and a rio50 power head for flow (just like i did when i started the tank :) ) the over all look of the tank seems so much more simple now. kinda cool :) up dated pics to come :)

updated pics.

day 295 for the pico reef :)

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0286.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

IMAG0288.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

new-b-reefer
it looks great! any reason why you keep the water so low though??

no reason, i was thinking of raising it. getting used to having the factory hob and powerhead vs the ac50. i didnt lower it intentionally :) needs a little top off too ;) lol

new-b-reefer
well more water volume is always a good idea in these ;)

yeah, the ac50 fuge is working out very well on the 20 gallon. i have a spare AC20 lying around, was thinking of using that. a lil more water volume and more flow :) im sure i will end up using that one. more room for media too. i just dont want to go fuge again cause the light at night is really annoying lol. i keep up on my water changes anyway.

i have been thinking though, i would like to add some little macro algae or something to the tank. some sort of plant, to make it more diverse, and it would help with water quality too cause well, thats what aquatic plants do :) and i see a lot of tank now with macro algea in them, bright pinks, reds, greens and all that along with corals. just looks so diverse and neat. anyone have any tips/recomendations or maybe have one of these planted pico reefs themselces ;)

just treat the macros as you would plants in a casual planted FW setup. no need for CO2 reactors, just clean water decent lighting, everything that makes the corals grow. you'll be fine with a few macro species in your tank if you tossed them in right now. nothing speciall needs to be added.

BTW if you raise your water level you could gain more volume than an AC50 would give you. just raise it if theres no reason to keep i that low.

new-b-reefer
just treat the macros as you would plants in a casual planted FW setup. no need for CO2 reactors, just clean water decent lighting, everything that makes the corals grow. you'll be fine with a few macro species in your tank if you tossed them in right now. nothing speciall needs to be added.

BTW if you raise your water level you could gain more volume than an AC50 would give you. just raise it if theres no reason to keep i that low.

Yeah, I raised the water level a bit ;)

Yeah I kinda figured that macros were just like plants in a planted tank, just marine rather than fresh. Any suggestions for some macros to add? My lfs doesnt really have them in usually but im sure they can get some or maybe have some hitch hiking ones. Time to scout out the lrr at the lfs. :)

new-b-reefer

day 300! of the picotope :)

in celebration i have upgraded the lighting. decided to go T5 :D

picked up a coralife mini aqualite dual t5 1x 10,000k and 1x actinic

also picked up a set of the coralife aqualite legs and they fit perfectly

the coral responded better within hours it seemed of me adding the t5's

the colors are much better and more vibrant and i know i will see much better growth with this over the pc :)

im stoked, i have t5's on a picotope lol :)

enough talk, you want pics :D

IMAG0314.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

IMAG0332.jpg

IMAG0326.jpg

IMAG0330.jpg

IMAG0328.jpg

IMAG0327.jpg

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

Nice upgrade!

What size are the bulbs, 12"?

You can get Macros from ReefCleaners.

He's a little low on stock right now after his accident but I'm sure he'll get more in soon.

Codium, Halimeda, Red Botrycladia and Red Graciliara would be good ones to start with.

new-b-reefer
Nice! Do the T5s get hot?

Nope, they stay pretty cool :D

Nice upgrade!

What size are the bulbs, 12"?

You can get Macros from ReefCleaners.

He's a little low on stock right now after his accident but I'm sure he'll get more in soon.

Codium, Halimeda, Red Botrycladia and Red Graciliara would be good ones to start with.

They are 9" T5s. 6watts each. :)

And thanks for the tips on the macros, I will have to check it out ;)

very nice!! i considered this fixture when i upgraded my lighting. it looks really good on your tank, and fits the picotope well.

new-b-reefer
very nice!! i considered this fixture when i upgraded my lighting. it looks really good on your tank, and fits the picotope well.

thanks, i like the look of the whole setup too. very pleased with the purchase :D

makes it look like it is a bigger system lol

lawnmowerblenny

I have this fixture, it works, but still so expensive for not much quality... They either need a sweet led retrofit for this fixture or better bulbs... IMO the fixture will keep softies but it is truely intended for fuge chaeto/macro algae... I Used it over a 14gal planted tank and had excelent results but now that I transfered my fw planted tank into my old jbj28 I no longer use it on my planted tank... As of now it is just a supplemental light over the same 14 all I have in the tank is a condy nem 2 small perc clowns some encrusting gorgs and a coral banded shrimp in this tank now and all look great!

Coralife is known for producing overpriced fixtures with low par coverage...

This is def a step up tho from the old plastic mini light!

wish evil would give us somesort of mod....

new-b-reefer
I have this fixture, it works, but still so expensive for not much quality... They either need a sweet led retrofit for this fixture or better bulbs... IMO the fixture will keep softies but it is truely intended for fuge chaeto/macro algae... I Used it over a 14gal planted tank and had excelent results but now that I transfered my fw planted tank into my old jbj28 I no longer use it on my planted tank... As of now it is just a supplemental light over the same 14 all I have in the tank is a condy nem 2 small perc clowns some encrusting gorgs and a coral banded shrimp in this tank now and all look great!

Coralife is known for producing overpriced fixtures with low par coverage...

This is def a step up tho from the old plastic mini light!

wish evil would give us somesort of mod....

hm, well so far i am very pleased with the light and it seems built pretty sturdy. im thinking it will do great having 2 t5's over a 3gallon picotope :) i know its a step up from the 20watt pc i had in the jbj macro glo. this light is much brighter. im sure it wont support sps but i really just like the brightly colored zoas and shrooms. wanna get my hands on some ricordeas. and you say it supports a condy anemone in a 14 gallon :)

lawnmowerblenny

well I also have pc lighting on that tank but the t-5mini light is def a good supplement...

I had lps in a 2.5 gal and wasn't pleased with the results of this light...

def wont support sps, not at all... maybe a birdsnest but thats pushing it...

I didnt say it was a crap light, just trying to let you know what it will support and what it wont...

This is a nice light but def just not powerful enough imo

like i said I think it just needs led supplement or should just be used with softies...

new-b-reefer
well I also have pc lighting on that tank but the t-5mini light is def a good supplement...

I had lps in a 2.5 gal and wasn't pleased with the results of this light...

def wont support sps, not at all... maybe a birdsnest but thats pushing it...

I didnt say it was a crap light, just trying to let you know what it will support and what it wont...

This is a nice light but def just not powerful enough imo

like i said I think it just needs led supplement or should just be used with softies...

cool. thanks :) its just going to be softies really other than my hammer i have in there which was doing great under the pc so i know it will do well under this light :) everything should color up more :)

Archived