Innovative Marine Aquariums

eksblenny's ADA 24x18x18 30G Tank

eksblenny

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6

The tank looks stunning, as always :happy:

Cool tarantula. I don't hate spiders, they aren't my fav orites though haha.

New photo taken today. Man my thread must be getting boring with the same shot over and over. Eventually I'll get around to taking some macros.

Untitled-1-10.jpg?t=1302654921

Some updates, bryopsis is fast receding but bubble algae is taking its place! I hate bubble algae! The second little clownfish that I recently bought went carpet surfing... I have resumed putting a mesh screen over the tank again. So there are still only two fish in the tank.

I wish I could say yes, but sadly no... it came with the tank.

I took some more cool pics of my spider.

avicularia_versicolor_3_by_eksong-d3euw70.jpg

avicularia__versicolor_2_by_eksong-d3euw3e.jpg

Haha those are not my hands.

I run a barebottom tank. The bottom is a PVC/plastic composite called "starboard". I got it at Tap Plastics. It looks like the same stuff they use for cutting boards.

fishez4alivin

Tank is looking great, how do you have such a clean bare bottom? Coralline just takes over mine. Don't tell me you scrape the bottom? Also, how do you like the SP T5 fixture, compared to LED's from your other tank? I ask, because I am considering going with a LED/T5 fixture.

I know how you feel with the Valonia, I had the same problem, and basically got all new rock because it got way out of control. Now, every coral I introduce, has it's plug or rock cut off. The only valonia I have is stuff on a scoly skeleton, and I am about to bandsaw that skeleton down.

Hey thanks. For some reason I have a hard time growing coraline at all. Coraline never grows on my rocks, on the back wall, or on the barebottom. I'm sure I add alot of calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.

I prefer my T5 over the LED. It is much easier to gauge a correct intensity of lighting, the color is nicer, and the light spread is more even. However, I do miss the shimmer that you get even with LEDs. Wattage wise for me they use about the same (50W).

Darn I wish there was a better solution for valonia. There is now bubble algae EVERYWHERE. I certainly do not want to introduce emerald crabs into my tank either.

Tank is looking great, how do you have such a clean bare bottom? Coralline just takes over mine. Don't tell me you scrape the bottom? Also, how do you like the SP T5 fixture, compared to LED's from your other tank? I ask, because I am considering going with a LED/T5 fixture.

I know how you feel with the Valonia, I had the same problem, and basically got all new rock because it got way out of control. Now, every coral I introduce, has it's plug or rock cut off. The only valonia I have is stuff on a scoly skeleton, and I am about to bandsaw that skeleton down.

fishez4alivin

Don't do that, they are a pain, and ime only eat the little tiny bubble algae. They would be ok, if you did a very aggressive removal program, where you picked them with the rocks in the tank. I think when you do that, and spores are released, the new tiny bubble algae are the ones the crabs will eat.

I used to dose vodka, 21 ml, that is no joke, and even then, with low nutrients, the valonia lived on. So you don;'t necessarily have to have high nutrients, or much light, and that stuff will suck whatever is available, and thrive. I didn't have a big problem until I noticed a thick patch growing on the inside of my vortech, behind the propeller. I guess when the valonia released spores, it just got blown all over my tank, for however long it grew there. It's a pain, but I see it in most tanks that have been running for years. It's one algae that definitely will inhibit coral growth.

eksblenny

I found out the bryopsis is not diminishing. It is just hiding in crevices. I'm beginning to wonder if it is GHA after all because my urchin eats it.

Tarantula looks awesome!

if the algae problem is actually bryopsis, today I tried something i read here in a thread. Dipped a piece of rock with it in 2 cups of water and 1/8 cup of 3% peroxide for 2 minutes. The results were almost instantly and is like magic!

Your tank so nice i would never get tired of the same ol pic as a matter of fact one of your pics is the wallpaper on my phn! It inspires me! Keep on the great work

• 1 month later...

Just a quick heads up guys. I got a great deal on an Elos 70, and I will be switching the contents of this tank over to that one. I may redo with new rock, I actually enjoy aquascaping.

Just a quick heads up guys. I got a great deal on an Elos 70, and I will be switching the contents of this tank over to that one. I may redo with new rock, I actually enjoy aquascaping.

But the ADA is so nice... :(

But the ADA is so nice... :(

I know =( I am always wanting something bigger. First I started with a 12g Nanocube, then 20g Elos Mini, then 30g ADA, now a 50g Elos. I work up the ladder real slow.

On a positive note, some lucky person is going to get his or her hands on this tank and stand when I take it apart and put it up for sale in the next few weeks.

• 7 months later...

Archived