Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

eksblenny's ADA 24x18x18 30G Tank

eksblenny

AquaticDiscounts
Thanks Northstar. It was actually red before, but got majorly bleached out by my LEDs. It has taken a looong time to even get this red.

What LFS do you go to? whats the name of it?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What LFS do you go to? whats the name of it?

I go to a bunch of LFS, usually not in the city though. If you're asking where I got the purple rain BTA, it is a store here in San Francisco on Ocean Ave called Aquatic Central. I don't think the guys saw it any different from the rest of their BTA, it was in a mosh pile with the others with the generic BTA price labelled on the tank.

Great tank! I love the nems. I was wondering if you could tell me what you have learned about the Porcelain Crab's eating habits and daily actions? I just got one and am curious.

Great tank! I love the nems. I was wondering if you could tell me what you have learned about the Porcelain Crab's eating habits and daily actions? I just got one and am curious.

I've had this crab in my old tank as well, I've had it for maybe 1.5 years, so it's big and probably will die soon. At that time it just lived under a rock. All it does is sift stuff out of the water. I don't know what it eats, it doesn't go particularly crazy when I add food to the tank. They don't harm anything. I have a pompom crab that is super tiny (like 1/2") and it sometimes used to sit on top of the crab before he moved into the anemone.

Actually there is a second crab living with this one. I bought that one recently hoping it would host another anemone, but eventually it found it's way into this anemone and these guys are living in it together.

Oh yes, if you try to hold them they'll eventually try to pinch you. It hurts a little, like an electric shock. I don't think it can draw blood though.

One other thing, I had another type of porcelain crab, the blue/green version that does not host anemones. That one would go CRAZY whenever I added cylop-eeze into the water. Is it possible that these two types of crabs have different diets? Maybe this crab is more used to getting stuff from the anemone, I have no idea. That crab unfortunately died one day when I accidentally squished it with a rock.

Very beautiful pictures!

What store did you get the purple rain anemone look alike from?

Oh and I'm local to you, so maybe we can trade maxi minis some time if you ever decide to chop yours.

Ok, nvm about the LFS question. I'm gonna have to check out aquatic central's BTAs. I have found that they tend to over charge on some things, so I hadn't been there in a while.

Oh and I'm local to you, so maybe we can trade maxi minis some time if you ever decide to chop yours.

Definitely! Did you know Atlantis Aquarium charges an arm a leg for your mini nems?

I'm gonna have to check out aquatic central's BTAs.

On the livestock front, I doubt you're missing much, especially compared to the other nicer LFS outside of San Francisco. Everything's pretty pricey like you say. The rest of the anemones looked pretty bleached out. I'm guessing maybe someone traded the BTA in for something else.

Do you guys use gloves when handling your maxi minis. After a few days of working with these guys I have some minor rashes and bumps on both arms where the carpets stickied onto me. This hasn't happened to me with mini carpets or BTAs.

Definitely! Did you know Atlantis Aquarium charges an arm a leg for your mini nems?

On the livestock front, I doubt you're missing much, especially compared to the other nicer LFS outside of San Francisco. Everything's pretty pricey like you say. The rest of the anemones looked pretty bleached out. I'm guessing maybe someone traded the BTA in for something else.

Do you guys use gloves when handling your maxi minis. After a few days of working with these guys I have some minor rashes and bumps on both arms where the carpets stickied onto me. This hasn't happened to me with mini carpets or BTAs.

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone is paying that much for those mini anemones. Atlantis is way overpriced and the last few times I've gone, they've had nothing nice. I don't think I'd ever go there again.... Not worth it.

I go to school by aquatic central, so I made a point of going a couple days ago. They had nothing and no purple rain anemone =( lol.

San Francisco needs a good fish store! I'm sad Ocean Treasures closed.

I don't wear gloves when I handle them. I have had my skin peal from my fingers from getting stung, but I haven't gotten rashes.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the course of the week I have transferred all my livestock from my 20G Elos and my frag tank to this tank. I would have liked to wait longer but I have no patience (bad). I know most of you would recommend against adding so much livestock in such a short period of time and I agree! The rock in this tank has been cycling in saltwater for over a month now but I do have alot of livestock = good amount of bioload so I have temporarily put all of my old live rock (about 30lbs) in a rubbermaid tub and plumbed it to this system. In a few months I will very likely remove it altogether. I have also cut my feeding down from 3x weekly to 1x weekly. My skimmer, rowaphos, and carbon work full time. I'm also still as usual doing weekly filter sock and water changes.

Almost all the big corals (except the Maxi Mini) I've had for 2yrs + and am transferring over from my old tank. I have tons of frags now too that I hope to grow out, especially SPS, which I am pretty new at.

So far everything has been doing very well. The colors of the coral under T5 are so much better than under my LED...

FTS (finishing up diatoms and currently going through my green algae bloom):

IMG_6147-FINAL.jpg?t=1284768877

IMG_6321.jpg?t=1284768902

IMG_6171.jpg?t=1284768966

Lighting is an ATI Sunpower 4-Bulb Fixture:

Untitled-2-5.jpg?t=1284768949

Some more coral shots:

IMG_6186.jpg?t=1284769017

IMG_6265-1.jpg?t=1284769030

IMG_6248-1.jpg?t=1284769041

IMG_62172.jpg?t=1284769057

IMG_6335.jpg?t=1284769069

IMG_6214.jpg?t=1284769083

IMG_6215.jpg?t=1284769097

IMG_6213.jpg?t=1284769112

IMG_6350.jpg?t=1284769127

You'll notice the shots above have a pink/purple hue. This is from the Fiji Purple bulb that I am using and I have not figured out a way to eliminate it from my shots. My previous LED light used white/blue/green LEDs with almost no hint of red/orange whatsoever.

:o

No need to justify moving things over so soon....I think we ALL know how that goes. I'm currently in the same situation contemplating moving livestock over from my 2 year old 20H into my 3 month old 17g. Always makes me a little nervous.

All of the others are jaw-dropping gorgeous but these two pictures are just ridiculously awesome!!

IMG_6321.jpg?t=1284768902

IMG_6265-1.jpg?t=1284769030

No need to justify moving things over so soon....I think we ALL know how that goes. I'm currently in the same situation contemplating moving livestock over from my 2 year old 20H into my 3 month old 17g. Always makes me a little nervous.

LOL I really do appreciate this comment.

Someone asked what bottom I am using. It is just a pre-cut sheet of starboard that I got from Tap Plastics. This one is a beige/tan color that Tap Plastics interestingly calls "Sandshade". I siliconed the underside edge of the starboard so that the crap doesn't get trapped underneath. That means though that the gap on the sides is exposed which is why you see diatom buildup there, but my siphon is small enough to suck out the detritus there.

I originally tried siliconing the edges but I noticed that because silicone does not adhere to starboard or glass, the water was able to make it's way past the silicone and under the starboard.

mobilehurricane

Your tanks are both amazing! I cant get past how vivid the colors are and your photography skills make me feel like I'm there. Great job! Also, awesome maxi mini collection, I just have the one blue similar to yours with the brown patch and my porcelain crab loves it. Other than the fiji purple bulb, what is the rest of your bulb combo?

Your tanks are both amazing! I cant get past how vivid the colors are and your photography skills make me feel like I'm there. Great job! Also, awesome maxi mini collection, I just have the one blue similar to yours with the brown patch and my porcelain crab loves it. Other than the fiji purple bulb, what is the rest of your bulb combo?

Thanks for the compliment! I use 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 Aqua Blue Special, and 1 Fiji Purple. I actually think it might be a bit too white and I might try another ATI Blue Plus in place of a Blue Special.

Since last Sunday my tank has been overtaken by this very weird low lying clear fuzz. It happened almost overnight. Someone suggested it could be bacterial. It was clear but now it's turn brown, perhaps it's a different morph of diatom?

IMG_6394.jpg

Are you adding any MB7 or any other bacteria to the tank? Maybe you added too much over a short period of time?

That, or as you said, it could just be another strain of diatomateous growth.

One of the handful of tanks that I really enjoy on here. Great job and amazing pictures. I hope to take photo's like you one today. The maxi's with the inverts is breath taking and really is something I have been wanting to do.

What fixture were you running with the LED's? Try moving the T5's around to Blue+, Aquablue, Fiji, Blue+ too. The white film could be a bacteria bloom. Just let the skimmer do its thing and dont panic.

Keep up the good work!

-Dave

Hey guys thanks for the compliments!

Are you adding any MB7 or any other bacteria to the tank?

I am not dosing bacteria. I just dose for calcium and alkalinity and a little magnesium if it goes too low.

HOWEVER, I think the culprit might be something in the new Aquavitro Salinity salt I am using. I used my first batch (10% waterchange) last Saturday, and I first noticed this fuzzy growth on Sunday.

Just an update. The tank is doing well. The bacteria fuzz is still there. It has stopped spreading and remains as a low hanging fuzz all over the rockwork. It is going away from the bottom. I am hoping that it is part of my cycle and will dissipate in time. The salt I think is not to blame, there is something I probably introduced into the tank and the salt mix fuels it.

All my corals are unaffected by this fuzz and are growing well. Some of the SPS are encrusting over the fuzz.

I did lose my mangrove plant. The tuxedo urchin chewed right through the stalk!

I will have new pics up this weekend.

Haven't had time to take pics of the tank because I was busy taking pics of stuff I need to sell:

You can see here for that stuff

I also made a thread of all the other pets I own (what can I say I love all animals):

Creepy crawlies

And can't forget my furries:

Cache2010-02-106.jpg

Don't worry with the exception of that photo above I will keep my photos tank-related.

The fuzz is still there. It is a clear fuzz but when I wipe it with a paper towel it is brown. My corals are still just growing over them. My snails and urchin do eat it but pretty slowly.

I decided taking out one of the four bulbs, so I am using 3 bulbs (two ATI Blue Plus and one Fiji Purple).

PS: I am really stoked for winning the photo contest of the month! I liked Yoshi's photo as well.

IMG_5996.jpg

Archived