Coral Vue Hydros

Can I keep a few hermits with snails?

philtheso

I have a 28g NC and am planning to stock it with CUC soon. From the limited research I've done, hermits don't seem to get along too well with snails. But there are two hermits that I really want in my tank, the Electric Blue and the Halloween.

If I add about 4 or 5 of these hermits with the rest of my CUC (cerith, nassarius, nerite), will they pose any danger to my snails? Let's assume I try my best to provide the hermits with larger shells once they are ready to move on.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

You can mix hermits with snails no problem. You may want to add some empty shells into the tank, the only time Ive experienced fighting is when a hermit outgrows its shell and wants a new home.

Chances are the hermits will kill most or all of your snails eventually, regardless of any empty shells in the tank. ime.

skimlessinseattle
Even if I only keep 2 or 3 them?

It's always a roll of the dice with hermits and snails. You have to understand that hermits live in snail shells, and will change homes whenever they see a shell they fancy; that includes shells currently containing snails. If the hermit wants the shell, it will take it by force. By putting additional empty snail shells in the tank, you can lessen the risk, but at the end of the day, it's up to the hermit crabs.

I keep both hermits and snails, and do lose a snail or two every once in a while. I accept it, and am perfectly fine with it.

It's always a roll of the dice with hermits and snails. You have to understand that hermits live in snail shells, and will change homes whenever they see a shell they fancy; that includes shells currently containing snails. If the hermit wants the shell, it will take it by force. By putting additional empty snail shells in the tank, you can lessen the risk, but at the end of the day, it's up to the hermit crabs.

I keep both hermits and snails, and do lose a snail or two every once in a while. I accept it, and am perfectly fine with it.

Thanks for the reply! Just curious, how many hermits/snails do you have approximately, and how long is "once in awhile"? If losing a snail every other week or so from keeping 3 or 4 hermit crabs is the situation, I probably wouldn't mind. Losing a snail every other day is a different story...

I put in 3 hermits and 50 dwarf cerith 10 normal cerity 7 nerite 5 nassarius snails.. i have 40 dwarf 0 normal 4 nerite 1 nassarius.. still got 3 hermits.. but each has nice new houses.

lakshwadeep

This is a good article on the subject:

Additionally, as many aquarists have found out, many of the hermit crab species are significant predators on grazing snails in the genera Astraea, Turbo and Trochus. These snails, unlike the crabs, really are totally herbivorous and are often easy pickings for a herd of hermits. Hermit crabs are seldom found with the snails in nature and the snails have no natural defenses against them.

http://www.fishchannel.com/saltwater-aquar...ius-snails.aspx

There are a lot of people who will argue that hermits don't really do a lot as a member of the CUC and cause problems (like killing snails). I would agree with them, but I keep hermits anyway because they are entertaining to watch.

I've had good experiences with scarlet hermits. They have red legs and yellow eye stalks. I have had 5 and they have yet to use any Trochus shells (the only snails I have). I started with 5 snails 2yrs ago, and now have over 20 in my tank, not to mention the countless little white snail babies.

The hermits are also still alive. They have spawned as well, but their larvae are these tiny shrimp-like free swimming babies that end up in my filter sock.

I have 6-7 hermits in my BC29 and put in 6 snails (including 2 decent sized mexican turbos)

I have 2 snails left (only one of the turbos) 6 weeks later.

...Chances are the hermits will kill most or all of your snails eventually, regardless of any empty shells in the tank...

Totally agree. I also have 55 gallon reef and my hermits never seem to die, yet, I see them occupying my other snail shells. Even when I had extra shells laying around.

For my tank, hermits EAT snails. Just the way it is for my tank.

Good luck.

Archived