Top Shelf Aquatics

Yoshii's 3 Gallon Pico Reef

yoshii

You know that sounds good. Only problem is I'm not actually in the Bay Area. I'm in LA :(

But hey, if you want I can send a transaction through paypal. Either way thanks for the info, I tried

using their calculator but I couldn't find it.

Nice tank by the way! Hope to see more pics :D

Awww Bay Area is better :P

A transaction? Sorry I don't use paypal lol I always pay for stuff in cash

I think it's $9.50 for Priority for the lower 48? You could PM John, he's really helpful :)

Thanks! I can't wait to stick something that moves in there! (astrina stars and pods dont count :P)

First "livestock" I put in the tank will be a tiny CUC, then a tiny frag of GSP, then probably a random shroom or zoas..

Idk when I'll ever get my hands on a neon goby :(

Heater Update:

:huh: So I just checked the temp in the tank now that the lights have been off for about 1/2hr.

Weird, the temp went up..it's now 80*F

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heater Update Again:

I checked at 11am this morning, the temp is 75*F

I just checked again, and it's still at 75*F

This makes me wonder if the temp dropped too much during the night... :unsure:

speakerpedal
Awww Bay Area is better :P

A transaction? Sorry I don't use paypal lol I always pay for stuff in cash

I think it's $9.50 for Priority for the lower 48? You could PM John, he's really helpful :)

Thanks! I can't wait to stick something that moves in there! (astrina stars and pods dont count :P)

First "livestock" I put in the tank will be a tiny CUC, then a tiny frag of GSP, then probably a random shroom or zoas..

Idk when I'll ever get my hands on a neon goby :(

Heater Update:

:huh: So I just checked the temp in the tank now that the lights have been off for about 1/2hr.

Weird, the temp went up..it's now 80*F

Darn it all maybe I will I just pick up some stuff for my tank today! pretty excited.

Oh man neon gobies are so legit. I came across one the other day, unfortunately I had to pass as I was in the middle of cycling :(

man, what's with the so cal bashing? Where's the love?!

:P

So how's the tank coming along otherwise?

Darn it all maybe I will I just pick up some stuff for my tank today! pretty excited.

Oh man neon gobies are so legit. I came across one the other day, unfortunately I had to pass as I was in the middle of cycling :(

man, what's with the so cal bashing? Where's the love?!

:P

So how's the tank coming along otherwise?

:( Aww that stinks, my LFS was supposed to get one neon goby in last week, but it never came.

That's why you set up a quarantine tank! So even while your tank is cycling, you can buy the fish and stick him in there. And watch him for any sickness and stuff too of course :P

Haha, actually, even though I've never been there, I think it would be awesome to live there, just as long as your near the coast. But I like the bay area because it's not too insane(except San Fransisco..) and there's lots of cool stuff nearby.

:wub: <--there's your love :P

I'll post an update in a sec, pics are still uploading

Update:

So yesterday I cut the piece of plastic I'm using for the "slide" so it would fit better on the side of the container:

DIYFugeOutputCut.jpg

Today, I cut the hole for the water to come out, onto the "slide" (and then into the tank)

Omgsh. It took me almost an hour probably. First, I marked where I was going to cut, easy right? Then, I took scissors and tried puncture it, then I planned to cut it with the scissors. Well, the scissors just left a big mark, and didn't go through. So then I tried a box cutter, kinda worked, but then, well..I kinda used too much force and broke it...hehe so then I looked for a razor blade, but I couldn't find one. Then almost went and got a screwdriver to heat up the tip with the stove and try to melt the plastic(I was getting pretty desperate) but then I found a wire cutter and finally "cut" the hole. Right after, my mom told me she had found the razor blades <_<

So, as you can see here, I FAIL.

DIYFugeHole-1.jpg

After that, I used Loctite Super Glue Gel to make it even more ugly..

DIYFugeOutputComplete.jpg

DIYFugeOutputCompleteAngle.jpg

Make fun of me all you want, I got the job done :P

lol nice

we want to see that in action :)

Glue is still drying <_<

But good news:

ZERO AMMONIA! :D

5-10 Nitrate (Looks the same on API)

MusicISUnlimited

can`t wait for you to start adding some corals and stuff! Sadly..for now at least i have given up my pico dream and decided just to upgrade my current tank ahaha.

can`t wait for you to start adding some corals and stuff! Sadly..for now at least i have given up my pico dream and decided just to upgrade my current tank ahaha.

Thanks! Me too! :haha:

D: Noo picos are fun! Whyy?

Ooh upgrades are fun too :) But starting new tanks is better :P

MusicISUnlimited
Thanks! Me too! :haha:

D: Noo picos are fun! Whyy?

Ooh upgrades are fun too :) But starting new tanks is better :P

Hmm.. well the plan is to start from scratch with the new tank the eventually add some things from my 6g.. and i am just sick of my Nano cube.. too many things have gone wrong and there are too many things don`t like about it, i wanna get rid of it ASAP! haha

Hmm.. well the plan is to start from scratch with the new tank the eventually add some things from my 6g.. and i am just sick of my Nano cube.. too many things have gone wrong and there are too many things don`t like about it, i wanna get rid of it ASAP! haha

Aww :( Stinks, I've always wanted an AIO system, isn't it easier?

What are you planning on upgrading to?

MusicISUnlimited
I only have experience with the CADLights 12g, but for the last 2 years it has been a very enjoyable and reliable setup. The cost to run the tank in its stock form has been quite reasonable.

Aww :( Stinks, I've always wanted an AIO system, isn't it easier?

What are you planning on upgrading to?

Yeah they make life so much easier :) and probably i 12g CADlight or Aquapod. Tough to choose..

Yeah they make life so much easier :) and probably i 12g CADlight or Aquapod. Tough to choose..

I vote CADlight! :D

Rimless look=AMAZING

Who cares if the glue isn't all dry!

It works :D

Yaay! I need to mess with the glad container thing a little, but other than that, I love it :)

I mixed up 2 gallons of SW yesterday. Today I poured it in the container, plugged in my pump, and viola! Filter/fuge thing :)

Fuge: 2gallons

Total system: 5 gallons! Yay for more stability!

Right now I have a bag of 5lbs of beach sand, but I want more(to put in the fuge) for a kinda-DSB just maybe 3-4"? Not sure yet, I have plenty of sand, so I can just add more if it's not enough.

Originally I thought of putting a light over the top, but now I'm leaning more towards through the side of the container..

I'll move most of the macros from the display into the fuge, and get some random rock rubble from my other tanks. Also, I'll but putting a couple pieces of eggcrate in there, why? Because I have found that pods love eggcrate :)

I still need to find a cover for the fuge and the tank though :(

Anyways, enough blah blah, here's some pics!

DIYFuge.jpg

DIYFugeCarbonRunning.jpg

DIYFugePump.jpg

^Mini 606 pumping water to the fuge

DIYFugeSideShot.jpg

Side Shot

DIYFugeSandinBag.jpg

5lbs dry weight, some of the sand I'm going to use

Also, I'm leaving in a couple minutes to pick up 2 corals, one of which (pulsing xenia) will go in this tank.

(Not right now of course, but in the future)

:rant: Alfjaldfkj!

After I picked up my coral, my mom decided to take a few "short" stops. I asked her how long, she said about 15min maybe.

Well, my poor corals ended up sitting in a little container (with a tiny amount of water) for an 1 HOUR 45 MIN.

<_<

But anyways,

today I went to Petsmart and picked up 30lbs dry sand (to add to my 20gal) and I don't really like the darker sand look I have right now in this tank with the beach sand, so I'm going to replace it with some nice white oolite sand I'll take from my 20gal (hopefully no sand storm in this tank then)

Do you think I should also use the white sand in my fuge too? No one's really going to see it, but maybe the oolite would work better for a DSB?

A DSB needs to be around 4-6 inches to function properly, Oolitic sand blows around like crazy but you need low flow for a DSB.

I think you should research a bit more on deep sand beds before you commit. They are a pain. and if disturbed are insta-nukes for a tank your size.

A DSB needs to be around 4-6 inches to function properly, Oolitic sand blows around like crazy but you need low flow for a DSB.

I think you should research a bit more on deep sand beds before you commit. They are a pain. and if disturbed are insta-nukes for a tank your size.

My fuge/filter has pretty low flow :)

I wouldn't put a PH back there, is there another way I could disturb it?

Yeah, I plan on more research, just brainstorming ideas :)

Yup, go slow, watch them closely the first few days

Remember the tank cycle is never really over. The nitrogen cycle needs to balance with the tank bio load.

Yup, go slow, watch them closely the first few days

Remember the tank cycle is never really over. The nitrogen cycle needs to balance with the tank bio load.

Thats why slow is the way to go :)

After the ceriths, I won't be adding anything anything else for at least a week.

I'm really tempted to thrown in a small piece(2 polyps) of GSP in this tank today.. :slap: But GSP doesn't really add to the bioload much, right? :P

not directly. but dont risk it just yet imo...

hows your tank temp doing?

Really hot around here, my SW tanks reached 88F yesterday I was panicking...They're at 84-85F today. when is this darn hot temp going to end? i checked the weather and i don't think its ending this month >_<

I kinda want to add a pair of clowns to my 10 gallon, but at those temps I am unsure of how they will do..

not directly. but dont risk it just yet imo...

hows your tank temp doing?

Really hot around here, my SW tanks reached 88F yesterday I was panicking...They're at 84-85F today. when is this darn hot temp going to end? i checked the weather and i don't think its ending this month >_<

I kinda want to add a pair of clowns to my 10 gallon, but at those temps I am unsure of how they will do..

I took out the heater, so now it's around 76-78F in the day, and maybe 74-75 during the night.

I saw it did go up to 80 for like an hour yesterday

I'm not in a heat wave right now, but I have a frozen water bottle in the freezer just in case. The outside temp right now is 77F, but inside is cooler

Here some quick P&S pics of the xenia I got yesterday. I'm going to cut one stalk for this tank, one for my 20gal.

DSC01944.jpg

DSC01941.jpg

DSC01940.jpg

DSC01929.jpg

Love this palys, gonna frag a few for this tank :)

DSC01925.jpg

Probably gonna stick this guy in this tank too

DSC01926.jpg

And some GSP :) I'm thinking about letting it spread all over the branch rock

Archived