Pod Your Reef

Yoshii's 3 Gallon Pico Reef

yoshii

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is why I am not considering one until I get the larger tank. And I hear it is tricky to get them to eat prepaired food.

But tank size, what is the minimum? I think I have a 35 gallon downstairs, and I want to sump it to a 29 gallon with a large refugium.

That is why I am not considering one until I get the larger tank. And I hear it is tricky to get them to eat prepaired food.

But tank size, what is the minimum? I think I have a 35 gallon downstairs, and I want to sump it to a 29 gallon with a large refugium.

I'll PM you if you want to talk Mandarins

--

Mm I just realized when I move I'm going to have to get a different fixture for my PAR30. It's pretty heavy, so I'd either have to find a really sturdy desk lamp type thing, or figure out something else? I've seen the goosenecks some led places sell, but I'd rather have something cheaper, and something that doesn't clamp onto the tank

That looks like a nice tank! Definitely a good option, and you wouldn't have to do all the work to add in the AIO portion. You'll definitely love the glass tank. Acrylic is just too hard to keep it unscratched.

Thanks for the info on fish photography. I always have my flash shut off because it makes coral look horrible. I'll have to remember to turn it on when I try to take photos of my fish. How do you keep from getting a reflection of the flash off of the glass? I can get halfway decent coral shots with my cell phone or Canon point and shoot, but getting decent fish photos has been hopeless. Well, except my YWG because he just sits still for photos, haha.

That looks like a nice tank! Definitely a good option, and you wouldn't have to do all the work to add in the AIO portion. You'll definitely love the glass tank. Acrylic is just too hard to keep it unscratched.

Thanks for the info on fish photography. I always have my flash shut off because it makes coral look horrible. I'll have to remember to turn it on when I try to take photos of my fish. How do you keep from getting a reflection of the flash off of the glass? I can get halfway decent coral shots with my cell phone or Canon point and shoot, but getting decent fish photos has been hopeless. Well, except my YWG because he just sits still for photos, haha.

I'm really liking it. Probably the only thing I don't like is the tiny back chambers, as I know I'll have to upgrade the return pump and most likely add a small powerhead. I think I still have my old mini-jet 606 somewhere, I wonder if it still works (for the return)

I usually try to get as close to the glass as possible. Usually I'm photographing fish through acrylic, so glass isn't as bad as far as reflections go, but you still don't want to take a FTS with the flash on!

If you don't want to go manual, try sports mode on the P&S

Here are a few of them, I'm tired, I'll get to the rest later

Barnacle in my Torch Coral. I'm considering killing it cause all it does it cause that half of the torch or shrink up :/

IMG_7914.jpg

I'm still struggling with the white balance for this tank. I got frustrated and this pic was taken with the flash on! (lowest setting)

IMG_8093-1.jpg

The duncan has weird curly tentacles, I think it looks cool

IMG_7976.jpg

The new chalice is actually growing pretty quickly

IMG_7941.jpg

IMG_7971.jpg

Unfortunately found this guy today :( Explains why 2 of my zoa frags didn't seem happy. Time to get dipping!

IMG_7947.jpg

Unfortunately found this guy today :( Explains why 2 of my zoa frags didn't seem happy. Time to get dipping!

IMG_7947.jpg

Good thing I qt'd my red hornets!

Thank you!
All I have is an AquaClear 20 HOB filter. It just has the sponge and ceramic media. Sometimes I'll put some GFO and filter floss in there, but I don't feel like I need it with my 100% water changes.

looks like a nudis colony eh? I have some pretty tighly closed zoas, they were out, then I moved sutff around and they jammed themselves shut again. the other type on teh same frag plug are all happy and yay.. I keep looking ofr nudis... Your Photos are stunning, seems so alien to see them up so close.

Love that last set of photos. The detail you captured on that chalice is stunning. I love good macro shots of corals like that :)

Sorry about the nudibranch! At least you have a small tank, so its easy to just take out the zoa rock and dip it right? Hopefully you can wipe them out easily.

looks like a nudis colony eh? I have some pretty tighly closed zoas, they were out, then I moved sutff around and they jammed themselves shut again. the other type on teh same frag plug are all happy and yay.. I keep looking ofr nudis... Your Photos are stunning, seems so alien to see them up so close.

If your other zoas are fine, it could be something else

Love that last set of photos. The detail you captured on that chalice is stunning. I love good macro shots of corals like that :)

Sorry about the nudibranch! At least you have a small tank, so its easy to just take out the zoa rock and dip it right? Hopefully you can wipe them out easily.

Thank you! I like macro shots too :)

Yeah, I'm not worried about them. The worst part is telling my friend he gave me nudis lol!

Last night the GBTA moved to the back of the tank :( Same crevice, just isn't as visible from the front as much anymore

It appears my zoas are starting to open. I put in a bit of live rock today and its somewhat sheltering them. maybe it's reducing light, they were fully open and took nearly a week. SO maybe when I moved them they got cross with me.

Oh a rock flower followed me home... Can I keep it? :3

Mandarins, unless eating prepared foods, shouldn't be in a nano tank, they will starve very quickly.

Scooter blennys are easy to feed, most people don't have the time to feed them 3 times a day.

My scooter attacks the pipete with the food in lol and swims into the water column to eat the food

It appears my zoas are starting to open. I put in a bit of live rock today and its somewhat sheltering them. maybe it's reducing light, they were fully open and took nearly a week. SO maybe when I moved them they got cross with me.

Oh a rock flower followed me home... Can I keep it? :3

It could be that, just keep an eye on them

Why not? Rock flower nems are cool!

Scooter blennys are easy to feed, most people don't have the time to feed them 3 times a day.

My scooter attacks the pipete with the food in lol and swims into the water column to eat the food

Scooters are definitely easier to train and feed

Here's a NR member who's started a pico tank in that Marineland tank you were looking at.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/357449-dgphelps-3-gallon-marineland-contour-pico/#entry4953210

Oh thanks! I'll have to check it out :)

I found another thread with someone who has that tank, but it got converted to FW. But it was still helpful

Honestly, I think that the nudibranchs are so cool, and it's hard pressed enough to care for any in the reef hobby as it is, that I think someone should try culturing them, maybe also grow some "non-designer" zoas to feed them. Sorta like Berghias....but not.

And I am begging for the newest FTS. 'cause I'm too lazy to browze 114 pages of previous posts to find one.

They are cool, but then you couldn't keep any other zoas in the tank with them
They can get pretty colorful if they eat colorful zoas!

I should be able to post a new FTS soon, by the end of this week. I have one now, but it doesn't reflect the new position of the BTA. So I hope to be able to clean and do a water change on Friday, then get a new FTS

Archived