Coral Vue Hydros

Yoshii's 3 Gallon Pico Reef

yoshii

I always thought dawn/dusk were added onto the regular light schedule? Say if you had your daylights on for 8hrs, then you would add on dawn/dusk lights for additional hours, like 1-2hrs before and after your daylights?

technically, that would work. and that is what most people do.

However, I have had the best results keeping daylights around 2.5 hours (all my t5s)... dawn/dusk blues (only the blue t5s) and the LEDs on before and after the blue t5s.

so photoperiod is essentially like this:

12pm -LED

1pm - LED

2pm -LED and blue t5

3pm Blue t5

4pm Blue t5

4:30pm All t5

5pm - All t5

6pm - All t5

6:30pm-8pm - Blue t5

7:45-10pm -LED

The LEDs being on a while, allows me to view the tank for a long period of time, without giving the corals TOO MUCH light. while at the same time, saving on electricity.

This photoperiod isn't what most people would run though... its a bit different haha.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
technically, that would work. and that is what most people do.

However, I have had the best results keeping daylights around 2.5 hours (all my t5s)... dawn/dusk blues (only the blue t5s) and the LEDs on before and after the blue t5s.

so photoperiod is essentially like this:

12pm -LED

1pm - LED

2pm -LED and blue t5

3pm Blue t5

4pm Blue t5

4:30pm All t5

5pm - All t5

6pm - All t5

6:30pm-8pm - Blue t5

7:45-10pm -LED

The LEDs being on a while, allows me to view the tank for a long period of time, without giving the corals TOO MUCH light. while at the same time, saving on electricity.

This photoperiod isn't what most people would run though... its a bit different haha.

Do the t5s suck up a lot of electricity? With those different types of lights, do you ever have a problem with the tank heating up?

automatik_33

I believe I use the same set-up as far as bulbs and fixture go as far as jjjo goes but I do run mine longer as I do not have leds yet. I do however do see a difference in heat towards the end of the lighting cycle by about 1-1.5*.

I believe I use the same set-up as far as bulbs and fixture go as far as jjjo goes but I do run mine longer as I do not have leds yet. I do however do see a difference in heat towards the end of the lighting cycle by about 1-1.5*.

Hmm ok, so far, this tank is around 78* with the heater, and then in the middle of the day or when it gets hot, it goes to 80*

youre lucky lol, mid day my pico is 86F x_x

we need AC on all day, but i cant convince my parents..

youre lucky lol, mid day my pico is 86F x_x

we need AC on all day, but i cant convince my parents..

D: Doesn't stuff start to die at 85F?

My mom doesn't want to turn on the ac for us even before I setup this tank. So I know when a heat wave comes, I'll probably have to stick a frozen water bottle in the fuge or something to keep the temp down. You should keep a couple frozen water bottles in the freezer and alternate them in your tank to keep the temp down. That way you will always have another frozen water bottle on hand

thats interesting...

and idk about things dying at 85, my tank has been around 88-89 F before when i had a coralife fixture on it..

maybe sensitive SPS die at 85F? in terms of SPS all i got is an encrusting monti right now and it seems allright...

automatik_33

I do the same thing to keep my temp down but also for the time being I have unplugged my heater. I never see the temp drop below the 78* I have it set at so figured I would unplug it and not risk it malfunctioning and cooking everything in the tank.

thats interesting...

and idk about things dying at 85, my tank has been around 88-89 F before when i had a coralife fixture on it..

maybe sensitive SPS die at 85F? in terms of SPS all i got is an encrusting monti right now and it seems allright...

Wow, that high?

Maybe, I'm not sure, but they usually at least start stressing at that temp.

I do the same thing to keep my temp down but also for the time being I have unplugged my heater. I never see the temp drop below the 78* I have it set at so figured I would unplug it and not risk it malfunctioning and cooking everything in the tank.

Hmm, I think I should try that, just to see if I need it or not, maybe the pump in there (and the one I'm going to add soon) along with the air temp will keep it stable?

Well, I'll go unplug my heater and update you guys with the results :)

:rant:

Only this would happen to me. -_-

So I go to unplug my heater, and the plug does NOT want to come out, and as I'm trying to get it out, suddenly, I heard *tink, tink* -shatter-

My elbow had knocked over one of my API test tubes and it shattered on the floor. (Leaving many tiny pieces behind for me to step on later!)

It was my only test tube that didn't leak.

Though, after that I finally got my heater unplugged

PirateJing

I just read through your thread. You are off to a great start =D . Sorry that you dont have much money, us teen reefers can only do so much xD . I will be following your thread . if you ever have questions, just ask .

DOH

sorry that happened...

Lol its ok, it's just kinda funny how I go to unplug a heater and end up breaking something :P

I just read through your thread. You are off to a great start =D . Sorry that you dont have much money, us teen reefers can only do so much xD . I will be following your thread . if you ever have questions, just ask .

Thanks! :)

Haha yeah, well, I do the best I can (yay for teen reefers!)

Ok, thanks, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions :P

Hehe I forgot about checking the temp with the heater unplugged, but right now it has only dropped 1*F with a small pump running and a light(6w) on. So it's at 77*F :)

I'll leave the heater unplugged tonight too, see if the air temp will result in a drop in the water temperature too

Hmm temp is at 78*F now..

And heres some random pics cause I'm bored

MessyCountertop.jpg

Look at that beautifully organized counter top! And those cords! Amazing! :lol:

WaterDance.jpg

I moved the pump so it hits the front of the tank and moves the surface more, I thought it looked kinda cool :)

that looks amazingly safe next to the sink

Totally :D Don't you love how the plug to the heater is in the sink too?

Actually, no one uses those sinks because they are leaking somewhere in the wall. :(

automatik_33

Sorry about the test tube. :(

Good to hear the temp dropped. Although it was just a little it is better than heating up water that is already hot.

Sorry about the test tube. :(

Good to hear the temp dropped. Although it was just a little it is better than heating up water that is already hot.

Thats ok, I think I found a way to make the other ones stop leaking :)

Yeah, I'm hoping I can pull out the heater, put I have to wait til tonight to see how much it drops when it gets colder.

Probably, in the winter I'll have to stick a small heater in there though, I've been looking for one of those small, flat betta tank heaters, but I can't find any :(

Ok, so I keep telling myself I need to get stuff done..

I took a glad container, cut out most of the bottom, cut some of the rim so it can simply hang on the container (easy to remove, no cutting the container) and instead of using the spout thing that comes with the container, I cut up a honey bottle and I'm going to use it instead.

DIYFugeCarbon.jpg

DIYFugeOutput.jpg

speakerpedal

I noticed you live in the bay area and were shopping at reefcleaners. Did you happen to order anything? If so how much was the shipping? I'm trying to get my hands on some cheato but can't find any at my LFSs. Apparently since they're all located at a "hub" they get last pick and thus no access to any cheato. :(

Best,

Matt

Thanks Newman :)

I noticed you live in the bay area and were shopping at reefcleaners. Did you happen to order anything? If so how much was the shipping? I'm trying to get my hands on some cheato but can't find any at my LFSs. Apparently since they're all located at a "hub" they get last pick and thus no access to any cheato. :(

Best,

Matt

I wanted to, but my ballast broke to I have to get another and don't have the money right now :(

I think they have a shipping calculator on there or something. I was planning on priority mail since nothing I ordered (snails & macros) needed overnight. I think it's pretty reasonable. Let me check

Here's something about shipping from the site:

"We are now offering FREE USPS Priority mail for all orders over $50, and FREE USPS Express Mail shipping for all orders over $175. Otherwise USPS Express is a flat rate of $28 , and Priority Mail is a flat rate of $9.50. "

So unless you buy sensitive stuff, all you need is Priority, which is only $9.50 :)

Really? I have chaeto I can give you, I got it at my LFS, Atlantis Aquarium (It's in Union City) The guy gave me a handful for free lol

Do you mean the Petcos/Petsmarts at the Fremont Hub? They don't have saltwater anymore. I think they're only one Petsmart(might be Petco) that has Saltwater in the east bay that I know of.

Hope this helps!

Just turned the light off, the temp is at 78*F, I'm going to see if it drops during the night (hope not!)

speakerpedal

You know that sounds good. Only problem is I'm not actually in the Bay Area. I'm in LA :(

But hey, if you want I can send a transaction through paypal. Either way thanks for the info, I tried

using their calculator but I couldn't find it.

Nice tank by the way! Hope to see more pics :D

Thanks Newman :)

I wanted to, but my ballast broke to I have to get another and don't have the money right now :(

I think they have a shipping calculator on there or something. I was planning on priority mail since nothing I ordered (snails & macros) needed overnight. I think it's pretty reasonable. Let me check

Here's something about shipping from the site:

"We are now offering FREE USPS Priority mail for all orders over $50, and FREE USPS Express Mail shipping for all orders over $175. Otherwise USPS Express is a flat rate of $28 , and Priority Mail is a flat rate of $9.50. "

So unless you buy sensitive stuff, all you need is Priority, which is only $9.50 :)

Really? I have chaeto I can give you, I got it at my LFS, Atlantis Aquarium (It's in Union City) The guy gave me a handful for free lol

Do you mean the Petcos/Petsmarts at the Fremont Hub? They don't have saltwater anymore. I think they're only one Petsmart(might be Petco) that has Saltwater in the east bay that I know of.

Hope this helps!

Archived