SaltCritters.com

Yoshii's 3 Gallon Pico Reef

yoshii

coolwaters

is a HOB filter by itself enough flow?

im not sure if u want to get a HOB cuz it makes bubbles.

i might get one K-nano pump.

and a intake refuge.

i love doing custom acrylics but not having the correct tools kills the looks but not the functionality.

@ bxz is that a hard drive heatsink????looks really nice and clean.

those heatpipes would be good if u want to loop cable on them and hang it.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, they are, much better look than the raw heatsink.

is a HOB filter by itself enough flow?

im not sure if u want to get a HOB cuz it makes bubbles.

i might get one K-nano pump.

and a intake refuge.

i love doing custom acrylics but not having the correct tools kills the looks but not the functionality.

If not, I can try and fit a small powerhead in there. The pump for the filter its 106gph I think. I have another small pump I could use for a PH, but I'll have to see about the flow, as I want to hide all the equipment as much as possible

Ok, tonight I be be getting some progress done, aka setting up the tank! :D

I'll post pics and progress later, so stay tuned :P

Fireworks were awesome :) I got to watch from my roof all the neighbors shooting off cool fireworks :happy:

What's in the tank now:

-50w Hydor heater

-Glass thermometer

-some random wimpy pump

-3lbs beach sand (dry weight)

-6lbs live rock

-Saltwater, of course!

Soo after 45min-1hr of trying, I still couldn't get the rocks like I had them :angry:

Oh well, here's the new scape. Not very happy with it, it looks funny and it's not very stable :/

Sorry about the quality, these are from my phone.

TankSetupFirst.jpg

^ Just shoved stuff in the tank, snapped a quick pic

TankSetupNoSand.jpg

^My Fail-scape

SandBucket.jpg

^Sand (that I only had to rinse once! :wub: )

TankSetupLightSand.jpg

TankSetupSandSideView.jpg

^With the sand, a little cloudy from me messing with the rock too much

Thanks guys :)

I think next time when I go to the LFS I'm going to look for a small piece of dry tonga branch that I can put on top of the purple rock and the one next to it (in the middle) to give the whole structure more height :)

Also, idk how you guys like the sand, but I think it would look better with white/off-white sand...

Oh also, here's what happened with the 3 hairy mushrooms I got:

1 died :(

1 stayed the same

1 split :D

So I still have 3 lol

Oh, a small update, I tested for ammonia, and I got a reading of 0.50 :tears: I hate waiting for a cycle

Ohh and I added some random macros (you can't see them very well in these phone pics, they are much brighter and cool looking :P )

FTSMacroDisplay.jpg

FTS

CheatoDisplay.jpg

Cheato and other unIDed red macro

GraciliaDisplay.jpg

Gracilia (sp?)

unIDedRedMacroDisplay.jpg

More unIDed red macro

SeagrassDisplay.jpg

Seagrass stuff

btw, these macros don't look very good is because I put all the good looking ones in my 55gal lol and these have been sitting in a bucket w/o light for a while..

Nice, scape looks good, and I will be waiting for my hairy shroom hahaha jk

Ugh I dont like the scape. I feel like it's missing something right here (circled in red)

MissingSomething.png

Seriously, do you want one though? NP for me :)

Ugh I dont like the scape. I feel like it's missing something right here (circled in red)

MissingSomething.png

Seriously, do you want one though? NP for me :)

Just wait and when its all cycled up and stuff throw in a small torch or hammer coral to fill it in?

Just wait and when its all cycled up and stuff throw in a small torch or hammer coral to fill it in?

I was thinking something like that, but I really want something there (like a rock) to lift up a coral and add height to the whole rock structure.

That's why I liked the scape when I first set up the rock (planning) it had a nice rock on the "top" that i think completed the structure.

Maybe I'll pick up a small branch piece or something when I'm at the LFS sunday, still not sure what kind of rock I would put there

But IDK if I can find one small enough that has all the "branches" facing one way(towards the front) and yet still adds some height and doesn't lean on the back wall :/

use that super glue/epoxy stuff everyone uses to put corals on frag plugs and make your own little branch lol?

use that super glue/epoxy stuff everyone uses to put corals on frag plugs and make your own little branch lol?

Lol actually, I made some a little while ago, they're just sitting around somewhere..

I originally made them to put GSP on them since I don't really have anything branching in my 55gallon.

But they're not very good :lol: It's hard to shape stuff when you only have 5-7min

Practice makes perfect lol

But wont they eventually have some type of coral growing on it?

Yeah, well I tried to make a second one..but then I ran out of putty :lol:

yeah, but the shape still looks really ugly, so the coral(if I put something encrusting on there) will be shaped like that and will be ugly D:

Update on params:

Ammonia- 0.50ppm :(

Nitrite- hehehe..don't have this test

Nitrate- 5-10ppm (5&10 look the same using API)

All the LR in there was cured and had been sitting in my 55gal, so maybe I'm getting a reading of Ammonia because I stirred up everything and added that sand, which could of had some organics in it :/

Ohh ok, yeah I don't like all that complex dawn/dusk stuff

If you use LEDs for the dawn/dusk effect, it will help save money on the electric bill, as you can reduce the time your daylights are on.

at least i've had luck with that. Daylights are on for 2.5 hours, blue t5s for 6 and LEDs on only 2 hours before, and 4 hours after. @ 8 watts total of LED... its not a bad compromise.

badfish816

stirring stuff up might cause a mini cycle too. tanks looks like you are off to a good start. +1 to leds for dusk/dawn effect.

If you use LEDs for the dawn/dusk effect, it will help save money on the electric bill, as you can reduce the time your daylights are on.

at least i've had luck with that. Daylights are on for 2.5 hours, blue t5s for 6 and LEDs on only 2 hours before, and 4 hours after. @ 8 watts total of LED... its not a bad compromise.

I always thought dawn/dusk were added onto the regular light schedule? Say if you had your daylights on for 8hrs, then you would add on dawn/dusk lights for additional hours, like 1-2hrs before and after your daylights?

yes probably right on the ammonia source. any organic stuff will cause it.

stirring stuff up might cause a mini cycle too. tanks looks like you are off to a good start. +1 to leds for dusk/dawn effect.

The funny thing is that my water wasn't cloudy from the sand, it was because I spent so much time messing with the rock to try to get it to look right -_- But the sand probably helped with the ammonia.

Archived