Innovative Marine Aquariums

Yoshii's 3 Gallon Pico Reef

yoshii

Deleted User 6

I'd go with like 15 dwarf ceriths in a 3g.

Also, white distilled vinegar is good for cleaning.

idunno what else, i only got a few posts in.

oh, dilute the vinegar.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd go with like 15 dwarf ceriths in a 3g.

Also, white distilled vinegar is good for cleaning.

idunno what else, i only got a few posts in.

oh, dilute the vinegar.

That many? Wouldnt they run out of food?

Ohh yeah I forgot about vinegar, thanks, I'll try it :) Any suggestion on how much to dilute the vinegar?

Ok, I got some stuff done today! :D

I got the scape done, I really like it (on the first try!) and I'll put a "tall" coral maybe xenia or kenya tree on the left side since there's the tall branching rock on the right.

Went I went outside I noticed my old pile of sand from the beach(had forgotten about it) and I thought, why not use this? It's free and I know it's clean, aanndd no sand storm :D

I also tested two small pumps to see which one I should use for the fuge/filter. Should I use the one with the stronger flow or lesser flow? Because I want to have slower flow through the fuge, but it will also provide flow for the tank, so maybe I should use the higher flow pump? idk..

Anyways, here's some pics :) Btw, the reason why I took alot of pics of the scape is because I have to set it up again next week, so I want to try to get it as close as possible to what I did today.

DSC01668.jpg

DSC01669.jpg

DSC01670.jpg

DSC01671.jpg

DSC01672.jpg

DSC01673.jpg

DSC01674.jpg

DSC01676.jpg

DSC01677.jpg

DSC01678.jpg

DSC01679.jpg

dwarf c's are tiny. i doubt they'd run out of food.

OK :) I'll look into getting more of them, idk if my LFS had them or not :/

coolwaters

i want a 3g tank again now =(

probably a basic 12x12x6

your acrylic is hella scratched up :o:o:o:o

wonder if 8 LEDs would be enough.

get 2...

But I won't know if they are a mated pair or not :(

Doesn't it look like a turtle necking up?

DSC01668.jpg

Lol, kinda!

i want a 3g tank again now =(

probably a basic 12x12x6

your acrylic is hella scratched up :o:o:o:o

wonder if 8 LEDs would be enough.

haha I've killed that acrylic! But it doesn't really show when there's water in it :D Plus, most of the scratching is on the sides.

You should start a 3gal! :D

Edit: Oh btw, is there any certain type of LED that I should get?

what gobies? you wont have 2 gobies in there will you? =/

Sorry for not being clear :P I'm planning on putting a little neon goby in there :D

Keep going Yoshi, can't wait to see this one progress!

Friar

Thanks! :D I went on a trip to the redwoods today, so I haven't been able to work on it much today, although I started to mess with the DIY filter/fuge

Oh btw, is there any certain type of LED that I should get?

We usually use 3 watts LEDs. CREE is one of the most recognized brands.

Check this LED Guide for some inspiration and lots of build with parts list and all you need :D

We usually use 3 watts LEDs. CREE is one of the most recognized brands.

Check this LED Guide for some inspiration and lots of build with parts list and all you need :D

Awesome! thanks :D

Do they put out alot of heat? Like would I need a fan? :/

you do need a fan. and a heatsink. the LEDs will put out good heat on their backside (and theyre glue to the heatsink) so the heatsink catches all that heat and becomes warm. a fan place on the heatsink directed to blow air into the heatsink will keep the heatsink cool, and you wont notice ANY heat at all. as long as you dont overload a small heatsink with many LEDs that is lol!

For ur tank size, u don't need a fan, run the LED at half power, a small heat sink will do just fine. Check my pico thread for reference on color.

Awesome! thanks :D

Do they put out alot of heat? Like would I need a fan? :/

Normally when u finalize ur color, u don't do the adjusting anymore, dawn and dust is just for the fancy ones, not worth the effort to put in the extra money and time. I prefer simplicity, just a timer to turn the light on and off. And with no fan, no noise at all.

op11.jpg

thats another choice but the he will need a dimmable driver :)
Normally when u finalize ur color, u don't do the adjusting anymore, dawn and dust is just for the fancy ones, not worth the effort to put in the extra money and time. I prefer simplicity, just a timer to turn the light on and off. And with no fan, no noise at all.

op11.jpg

Ohh ok, yeah I don't like all that complex dawn/dusk stuff

Archived