Innovative Marine Aquariums

My first pico! Dymax IQ3 now 5 YEARS OLD!

andrewkw

Mr. Microscope

Looks nice. Filling in well. Those palys are really starting to stretch though. I hope you can get more light in there soon. It takes a while to gain color back.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks nice. Filling in well. Those palys are really starting to stretch though. I hope you can get more light in there soon. It takes a while to gain color back.

They haven't lost any colour. They are just streching for the light. I have doubled the light, if they don't revert back by next week I will add another light fixture. You really can't fit more then 3 on the tank so I am hoping this will be enough. I haven't really seen anyone with a dymax pico. It will be a real shame if it doesn't work out as this tank is super neat.

Looking good.. :)

Where did the little red shroom go?

Good eye, and who knows. It detached itself from the rock and is gone. I'll try getting one to attach to rubble then glue it on next time. That one I just happened to see on the glass of my frag tank, chopped it off and glued it on. I originally bought the colony which is long gone by the way close to 5 years ago.

RPE's are no longer stretching for the light. The pink palys are stretching less. Red mushroom is gone. I'll put another one in later. The purple star polyps in the bottom corner have also opened.

I'm starting to regret ordering a second powerhead. Just because I either have to drill another hole in the back or leave the powerhead in the display. I'm starting to think maybe I should replace the return pump with a micro jet 404 and replace the return with a Y of 1/4" loc line and split the flow that way. One less pump, one less thing to plug in and less modification or space used. What do you guys think?

The mag float is more a novelty then anything else. It works okay, but the magnet is not super strong. Also with rounded edges it won't work on the corners.

I've ordered a new return pump which will be 106 gph although there is about 6 inches of head height so it will run slightly less. For now I have the zoo med mini jet powerhead in for additional flow. Even the smallest of powerheads is a major eyesore in the tank. It will come out then. I'm ordering the Y of 1/4" locline hopefully it will fit.

After changing out 1/2 a gallon I was very surprised nitrate test came back at 0. My tanks usually run in the 2-5ppm range and thats what this tank was considering the rock and sand came from other tanks.

So I decided to do some more frag tank shopping and added a tiny tiny lobo head as well as a chalice frag with a couple of eyes. I'm also going to remove the purple star polyps. For some reason they are not open all the time and they were too close to the mag float as well. In a few more weeks I'll pick up a clown goby. Also a 3rd light is on the wishlist. I can see more and more algae growing both on the acrylic and on the rocks, nothing bad but a couple of the rocks were pretty white and now they aren't. There was a bit of algae growing on the orange zoos that was originally there when I put them in. I carefully removed most of it. Going to try and keep pests out of this pico as best I can. Also plan on throwing some more stometellas and starfish in to increase the cleanup crew.

I took out my macro lens and took a few pics. The FTS is pretty ugly with the powerhead and slightly out of focus but i'll include it anyway.

IMGP7706.JPG

I moved the psp but did not remove it yet. I'll take it back downstairs eventually.

IMGP7707.JPG

new chalice with a couple of eyes.

IMGP7708.JPG

palys no longer reaching for light.

IMGP7709.JPG

picked the algae with tweezers but the polyps still seem to be happy and are opening fast.

IMGP7713.JPG

Lobo head is only about 1 - 1.5"

Top downs

IMGP7714.JPG

IMGP7715.JPG

Nice! Keep 'em coming!

So I got the mini jet 404 and the only way it would fit in the return chamber was by taking the top and bottom covers off. It's no longer adjustable but it should be on the highest setting which I was going to use anyway.

The flow doesn't seem to be significantly more even though it is twice as powerful as the original return. I don't have a Y yet so the flow is only going out in one direction. I'll try it for now, but I was surprised how big the "mini" jet 404 is. It's probably 4x the size of the original return.

FishyFishy!

Good idea with adding more flow. I know of a couple people and my LFS that cratered these tanks because there just wasn't enough flow with the stock setup. If that 404 dosn't pan out for you, I'd say hide that zoo med down low behind the rock setup, point it upwards. See how that works.

Great little tank! I'll be following this for sure.

Since this is such a big tank I decided to add a Grandi Paly

IMGP7719.JPG

I also added a leather but it still looks like crap. I just snipped off a piece of one from one of my other tanks. I'll give it a week but if it doesn't improve I'll take it out. Don't want to fill the pico with leather toxins.

crap, leather corals emit toxins when stressed?

Looks like that grandis paly is pooping lol. must be from stress.

crap, leather corals emit toxins when stressed?

Looks like that grandis paly is pooping lol. must be from stress.

I just cut a piece off another leather and put some fishing line around the bottom and attached it to a tiny piece of rock. I rinsed it but I'm sure some toxins were still present. It still doesn't look great. I think I'll take it out next time I'm changing things.

I added an orange acantastera enchinata and a yellow clown goby. He's super cute and surprisingly active. I need to find a way to increase the flow further. Powerhead in the display is so ugly. I either need really small plumbing and do an over the top closed loop or just drill a hole in the false back and put another powerhead back there.

IMGP7732.JPG

IMGP7724.JPG

cool (not about the leather toxins). it looks like I WONT be cutting my finger leather up and transporting a frag to my 10 gallon...

cool (not about the leather toxins). it looks like I WONT be cutting my finger leather up and transporting a frag to my 10 gallon...

Cut it and then let it heal in existing tank then move. That's probably the way to go I'm just impatient.

Added a few more corals from the frag tank scrapheap. I'm not really fragging stuff these days so the tank is just being overrun with purple xenia and macro algae.

Unfortunately I originally placed these red palys on the rock below the pink ones. I didn't epoxy it because I wanted to see how it looked and somehow during the night it fell, maybe the goby knocked it. The enchinata took out half the polyps. So i moved it to the other side of the rockwork a mere 4 inches over to hide the dead side.

I also added a pink chalice near the top. I'm not sure how the led will effect it. Also found a small acan lord frag that I wedged into the rock and a new red mushroom.

So far i've spend just $11 on the goby and the rest are just scraps from my frag tank but I think I will buy some mushrooms possibly rics. Otherwise it's filling in nicely. The fish really adds to the tank. Spends some time perching but does swim around. I'm going to feed him a tiny bit of brine every 2 days maybe a few pellets. I'm not sure if he ate yet there are pods in there he can hunt should he desire.

Top down - can't get everything in focus with a macro lens

IMGP7754.JPG

IMGP7758.JPG a little bit clearer shot of the new palys

New chalice will the colour keep?

IMGP7759.JPG

FTS with the ugly powerhead wire in the back, gotta do something about that

IMGP7752.JPG

looks much better now :)

is it safe to put a chalice that high up? I'm kinda afraid of it bleaching from too much light, be careful with it...

is it safe to put a chalice that high up? I'm kinda afraid of it bleaching from too much light, be careful with it...

I don't have a meter but I can't imagine these LED's are putting out much par. I put it at the top to avoid bleaching actually. It's not epoxied yet so we'll see. The one at the bottom hasn't lost any colour but it hasn't been that long. I may move it.

Archived