Pod Your Reef

Fluval Chi

ulver982

Fluval Chi's are out...just saw one at Petsmart (yeah, I work there, don't laugh). But yeah, they're $59.99 and they're a rimless 5 gallon cube with 11 LED light. Probably nothing high powered of course. I didn't have a chance to open the box yet, but I'm gonna take a good look at this tank. The idea looks good...gonna see ways you can mod the tank to get more light.

Fluval Chi's are out...just saw one at Petsmart (yeah, I work there, don't laugh). But yeah, they're $59.99 and they're a rimless 5 gallon cube with 11 LED light. Probably nothing high powered of course. I didn't have a chance to open the box yet, but I'm gonna take a good look at this tank. The idea looks good...gonna see ways you can mod the tank to get more light.

I work there too and gave one a good inspection yesterday. Don't feel bad lol.

I saw one too! (also work at petsmart lol) I had to leave in 10 and people needed help so I didn't get a chance to unbox. The box looked neat though.

Hah, hello fellow petsmart employees. Don't you just love when people want to buy oscars for 10 gallon tanks?? Anyways, yeah, I believe they're open top. Busy day today, hopefully will get a closer look soon.

Yeah they are open tops. I am thinking about buying one for my mom since she likes guppys, and I like the tank. a nano might look cool, but I can see everything being replaced.

Hah, hello fellow petsmart employees. Don't you just love when people want to buy oscars for 10 gallon tanks?? Anyways, yeah, I believe they're open top. Busy day today, hopefully will get a closer look soon.

We always get people who throw guppies in with their oscars because they want to add some "color" to their tanks. Ofcourse, after we tell them not to, they always come back and complain about the end result. :huh:

Greeting fellow Petsmart associates!!

Found this forum looking for info on the new Fluval Chi.

Had a customer purchase one today, then return it after filling, they didn’t like the soothing noise of the Chi's design. (or fully open top, couldn’t quite talk them into a Fluval Edge, they took a Topfin 10 kit, eww)

Unfortunately since the tank had been used, was unable to re-package and re-sell, but I was able to get a decent discount on this (barely wet) tank. *cough* alf *cough* Better than throwing it away!

Its up and running atm, giving some great ambient light.

The pump outflow is facing upwards, a gentle fountain of water over natural stones, but the cool part, there is an LED in the fountain, tracing beautiful light patterns on the ceiling, even when the down facing LED's are turned off.

I need to find a filter for it, the customers did not return the one that came in the unit, Petsmart doesnt sell the filters yet, I couldnt find any listed SKU for them. Even FostersandSmith doesn’t have this product listed yet. The LED unit is in the middle of the filter intake, so the filter pads are square donuts, hole in the middle. Will have to jury-rig something, but I don’t plan on any fish until I an get a good idea of filter power.

My one complaint is this, low energy usage is nice, but higher intensity light would have been nice. The filter is also some concern, but time will tell. Will post a pic with the lights going to give you an idea of how cool it is to submerge the LED units when I get a chance.

Work safe guys!

Remember, Its your job to say "no" to that oscar in a 10 gallon, please dont be "that guy" that sells any fish to any person with any tank!

-Khom

Don't you love it when people return stuff? :) I've gotten a lot deals on filters and such that claim to be "damaged." Such as a person returns a filter because it doesn't work, yet it doesn't work because they don't read the directions and don't realize you have to prime it first. Idiots...

Don't you love it when people return stuff? :) I've gotten a lot deals on filters and such that claim to be "damaged." Such as a person returns a filter because it doesn't work, yet it doesn't work because they don't read the directions and don't realize you have to prime it first. Idiots...

+1. I got a rena xp3 because the people who returned it didn't put the priming cap back on the intake, and it wouldn't start! Winner.

For the filters, I noticed some new Marina filters that looked pretty similar to the Fluval Chi filters in my store today. We still don't have a place for them though, among the other boxes of stuff that we just reveived including prebottled freshwater :huh: .

The one thing I don't like about both the Chi and the Edge is that they are designed to be cosmetic, not really effective. I don't see them making great aquariums to live with. They do look good though.

+1. I got a rena xp3 because the people who returned it didn't put the priming cap back on the intake, and it wouldn't start! Winner.

For the filters, I noticed some new Marina filters that looked pretty similar to the Fluval Chi filters in my store today. We still don't have a place for them though, among the other boxes of stuff that we just reveived including prebottled freshwater :huh: .

The one thing I don't like about both the Chi and the Edge is that they are designed to be cosmetic, not really effective. I don't see them making great aquariums to live with. They do look good though.

I agree with what you said about the Chi's and Edge's. They're a cool idea, but not sure how long they'll last. The funny thing about the Chi's is that they're $69.99 and then we sell a plastic minibow 5 goldfish starter kit for $59.99. Mmm, I think I'd spend the extra ten bucks for a sweeter tank. Yeah, I saw that prebottled freshwater, and nearly crapped myself. I thought that the caribsea pre bottled seawater was bad..but bottled fw is just crazy. We've got a bottle of the naturual sea water that's been rotting on the shelf foreverrr, there's algae growing on the sides of the bottle, lol.

I agree with what you said about the Chi's and Edge's. They're a cool idea, but not sure how long they'll last. The funny thing about the Chi's is that they're $69.99 and then we sell a plastic minibow 5 goldfish starter kit for $59.99. Mmm, I think I'd spend the extra ten bucks for a sweeter tank. Yeah, I saw that prebottled freshwater, and nearly crapped myself. I thought that the caribsea pre bottled seawater was bad..but bottled fw is just crazy. We've got a bottle of the naturual sea water that's been rotting on the shelf foreverrr, there's algae growing on the sides of the bottle, lol.

lol that's funny. We have a guy who owns a 29g reef and literally buys 20 jugs of the caribsea seawater at a time. We have to order it for him and everything, and every time he comes to pick it up I try to get him to buy the 160g gallon worth or instand ocean, but he never will. Ooh well -_-

I noticed that too. There was a lady in a few days ago looking at one of the marineland 5gs or something, and I convinced her to buy the chi. It does look comparable to those and great for a novice aquarist. It would make an amazing oscar tank actually :o

reeftankguy
Does that thing with the rocks on top come with it? Is that where the HOB Filter is, or is it the lightA?

Andrew

Its the light and the filter...floats on top

I think it would be cool to just use the tank itself and ditch the rock/led/filter deal that hangs on the tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
salmonshutters

9.5 x 9.5 x 12 ish, I have already ditched the filter and light and am planing to use a led fixture for this tank, I think it will make a great nano.

I just picked this up from Petsmart while buying some dog food, they had it on sale and the display one looks great, since I needed a fountain for Feng Shui purposes :lol: this was pretty much perfect for me, planning to run a it with some guppies or even platties, well something small and colourful that I can fit 9 in. (I know 9 is stretching it but wut the heck).

I forgot to mention that yes, this thign does come with the rocks, basicly, its everything in the pictures, except the substrate and the plants. You can just buy some substrate and you can practically start a tank. Was thinking of running a nano reef, since i'm kind of tired of my cichlid tank.

i want one for a baby octopus or a seahorse tank with lots of macro!!

Tall one would be an awesome seahorse/macro tank! (If it's tall enough, how many gallons is it?)

Tall one would be an awesome seahorse/macro tank! (If it's tall enough, how many gallons is it?)

Has anyone actually used the chi as a reef tank? I have a reef in my Fluval Edge and would like to put one in the chi but am concerned about excess salt build-up on the overflow and rim.

Any idea if these use tempered glass? I'd like to use this a a display fuge for my 40 breeder, and it looks like it would fit on the stand I have. Would the LEDs be enough light to grow some cheato and other macro?

Archived