Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

? about jbj 3g stock light

crx2ner

The girlfriend is really wanting a jbj 3g tank for her bday, and I’m really wanting to get her one. She informed me last night when it got brought up she likes the stock light.. Which I planned on replacing.

So my first question is, what kind of corals would she be limited to with the stock fixture? She's really doesn’t know what all she wants, but it has to be pretty. She’s pointed out a lot some zoas, goniopora, tenius, and I’m sure this list will grow so I’d like to have a light that will be able to handle just about anything.

My second question/idea... I wanted to do a led light for it... SO... what are the approx demensions of the fixture? Would it be possible to take all the original pieces out to have just a shell, and build a DIY led light that could be mounted in the original housing? If so, any idea as to approximately how many leds would be needed? i thought if that would be possible, i would add in a few tiny 30mm fans to assist in cooling.

I’m trying to get her to go with one of the nanotuners led pico lights but she said she wants to keep the stock lamp.

:angry: I don’t know who’s more stubborn, me or her.

Dont think it will work DIYing it into the stock lamp. Typically with DIY leds you will need a fairly substantial heat sink which most likely wont fit in there. Just tell her she cant really keep anything with that light, so its either coral or a light.

do you have any other suggestions for a light?

i personally liked the idea of par38 in a floor lamp behind the tank.

I really like the 12.1 PicoLamp but its a lil more than i think i'd like to spend

do you have any other suggestions for a light?

i personally liked the idea of par38 in a floor lamp behind the tank.

I really like the 12.1 PicoLamp but its a lil more than i think i'd like to spend

the par38 is a nice option and a few people on the boards have it on a picotope. Another option could be a current usa dual fixture. Alot of people use these as well on their picotopes.

As far as the stock light, you will most likely be able to keep zoas and mushrooms but I dont think they will look very good or grow very fast.

Mr. Microscope

I've seen it done with the stock light. The guy had three blues and one white, no lenses, the heatsink was exactly the size of the internal space, and he even had the buckpuck jammed into the casing on the back part. It was a zoa only tank and they all looked amazing!

Archived