ReefCleaners.org

PNW Temperate Tanks Using Marineland Commercial Systems

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer
Any update? Pics to share maybe?

Still gotta get photos taken of everything in the tanks but everything that went into my large tank is doing great. I put a couple urchins into the smaller system and they died from temperature fluctuations since the tank is really more of a holding system than a long term system.

After that I did a 45 gallon water change on the main tank and started up my other 110 gallon. I moved over all the large green anemones into that tank and put some light on it for them.

Lost most all of the hydroids since the nudibranchs that eat them came in on them as well, I kinda figured they would.

Only lost 1 tiny sculpin out of all of them.

I should be getting my 50w LED spotlight finished tonight, so I'll use that to get some good photos of the new stuff in the tank when I feed them.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

I didn't see the Fringe Head for a day or two and then spotted him under a large rock, so he's in there and alive, but just spooked from all the new addtions.

I had a horrible nightmare last night that I found him dead and half eaten by one of my starfish :scarry:

Lets hope I'm not clairvoyant, lol.

bigmikey177

Nice. I ended up buying one of those ledwholesalers par 38 and still trying to get good shots with it. Hope your led shots turn out better than mine.

Oh the fringheads are ambush predators so hes probably gonna stay under that rock until food comes by. Nice looking fish btw.

AquaticEngineer
Nice. I ended up buying one of those ledwholesalers par 38 and still trying to get good shots with it. Hope your led shots turn out better than mine.

Did you end up getting the dimmable one with the 12 1w LED's?

Oh the fringheads are ambush predators so hes probably gonna stay under that rock until food comes by. Nice looking fish btw.

I've been spread feeding the tank recently with small pieces of scallop and shimp, everything is eating it so hopefully some of it is getting down to the fringehead too. I might start keeping some small live coldwater marine shrimp for food also.

AquaticEngineer

I'm also going to separate the deeper water stuff like the fringehead, gorgonians, bat stars, and strawberry anemones into one tank and all the tide pool stuff like the aggregating anemones, green aneomones and sculpins into the other tank soon. So hopefully I'll see more of the fringehead after that.

bigmikey177

Did you end up getting the dimmable one with the 12 1w LED's?

Yup thats the one. Bought a clamp on light from lowes took off the reflector and clamp and hung it from the ceiling. Its a decent light for the price.

bigmikey177
I'm also going to separate the deeper water stuff like the fringehead, gorgonians, bat stars, and strawberry anemones into one tank and all the tide pool stuff like the aggregating anemones, green aneomones and sculpins into the other tank soon. So hopefully I'll see more of the fringehead after that.

Imo you should space the rocks out and make some big open caves. Maybe if you can find some big enough shells he would hide in there like those vids you posted up. Hopefully another one will come your way and you can video them fighting for territory.

AquaticEngineer
Imo you should space the rocks out and make some big open caves. Maybe if you can find some big enough shells he would hide in there like those vids you posted up. Hopefully another one will come your way and you can video them fighting for territory.

Thats exactly what I am wanting to do ;) I tried finding some large barnacles when we went to the coast, but the biggest I found were just a bit to small.

I'm going to hit up a beach comber shop and see if they have any large shells similar to the ones they live in.

AquaticEngineer

So I was feeding tonight and I saw the Fringehead pop out and grab some food, he's alive still !!! :D

I finished up my 50w LED project tonight and used it to for lighting to get some shots of the tank.

IMG_20110427_205927.jpg

IMG_20110427_205913.jpg

IMG_20110427_205948.jpg

IMG_20110427_200008.jpg

IMG_20110427_195949.jpg

IMG_20110427_195920.jpg

IMG_20110427_205857.jpg

IMG_20110427_205838.jpg

IMG_20110427_205752.jpg

IMG_20110427_205717.jpg

IMG_20110427_205627.jpg

IMG_20110427_205543.jpg

bigmikey177

Nice. Love that rock full of nems and that gorg. Are you gonna try to peel those nems off and stick them on the pylons when you make the new tank?

AquaticEngineer

Yeah I have to think of some way to get them to hold in position until they grab onto the pylons. Maybe a small spot of epoxy on the rock they are holding onto until they creep off and them I can break the rock loose.

bigmikey177

I dont think the epoxy would be that great especially they want to move. I think cutting the bottom of some clear deli cups and making holes in them for flow then maybe siliconing the cups down onto the pylon. Just put the nems inside and let them stick to it on their own.

AquaticEngineer

I might just get the pylons in the tank and then drop the anemones in there to the bottom on the rocks they are attached to and let them crawl off and go where they want to.

More and more I am thinking of doing a 20 gallon surge tank off the side of the display since its going to be so tall. Then use a couple of my 50w LED lights both ends of the tank at shallow angles so that the light is really only hitting the upper 20 inches of the tank. That way I can have photosynthetic creatures up top, and NPS down towards the bottom all in a single display.

AquaticEngineer

When we collect the larger ones we have been using a hammer and chisel and just taking a chunk of rock with us along with the anemone instead of trying to pry them off. I figure if I put the large green anemones in the tank on that chunk of rock they will naturally climb towards the light being somewhat photosynthetic.

AquaticEngineer

Video of my holding tank system that has most of my small sculpins and algae in it. Decided it'd be a good candidate to test my 50w LED over.

LINK TO VIDEO

th_VID_20110428_215706.jpg

bigmikey177

Nice those are perfect for the setup. How many do you plan on using? I think like four of them at different angles would be dope. Like one at 45 another at 90 etc. Maybe try to mimic sunrise to sunset.

AquaticEngineer
Nice those are perfect for the setup. How many do you plan on using? I think like four of them at different angles would be dope. Like one at 45 another at 90 etc. Maybe try to mimic sunrise to sunset.

Gonna get a better heatsink and better color bulb first to test out, then gonna start with one on the side at an angle and then add more at different angles later.

Looks like my lobster tank I've been trying to sell is gonna go this wednesday, so that means I should be able to go pick up my monster tank later that day :D

AquaticEngineer

Got some new smaller live shrimp for the tank today, they were $6.99/lb

So a pound was about 30 of them. Tossed them in the new tank along with the green anemones and snails. I'm hoping the small ones will entice the fringehead out to attack :D

AquaticEngineer

Picked up a bunch of these guys yesterday for $8.25 total :) Also picked up some more spot prawns, and a couple pounds of snails and some nori. These shrimp are MUCH smaller than even the smallest spot prawn available. Best part is that they are cheap enough that I can use them as live food if I wanted to, I fed all the ones that died to my Anthopleura xanthogrammica anemones.

Sidestriped Shrimp (pandalus dispar).

IMG_20110508_124837.jpg

IMG_20110508_124824.jpg

IMG_20110508_124801.jpg

IMG_20110508_124727.jpg

IMG_20110508_124742.jpg

Archived