Innovative Marine Aquariums

PNW Temperate Tanks Using Marineland Commercial Systems

AquaticEngineer

Been following this tank since for quite awhile and it has always astounded me and made me want to do something like this in the future after I'm settled down. I love how your gorgs just seem to sprout up from the rocks as if it were a plant. If you're ever in Seattle and want to do some fine dining I would recommend Palisades as they have a huge coldwater pond with many of the same anemones from the first two anemone pics and salmon. Also, your stars are huge and glad to see you have long-term success with everything.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer
Been following this tank since for quite awhile and it has always astounded me and made me want to do something like this in the future after I'm settled down. I love how your gorgs just seem to sprout up from the rocks as if it were a plant. If you're ever in Seattle and want to do some fine dining I would recommend Palisades as they have a huge coldwater pond with many of the same anemones from the first two anemone pics and salmon. Also, your stars are huge and glad to see you have long-term success with everything.

Its taken a long time before I was able to be in the right place and the right time in my life to do this. I talked to the marineland rep when I worked at a pet store in Eugene about buying one of these like 10 years ago.

I tried and tried to figure out how to do the coldwater pond outdoors, and couldnt get around the problem of diluting the water when it rains. Only thing I could think to do was to have it covered :(

So far the only thing I've had a problem with was the one large fish I put in there. I think until I get my large display tank hooked into the final system I am just going to keep inverts and wait on the fish :lol:

I'm really looking forward to spot prawn season when I can get some more of these guys for my tank.

63290_427380881055_508601055_5477000_7542685_n.jpg

It was in indoor pond next to a marina near the Sound so they probably just can flush the system every so often of can get filtered NSW from the Seattle Aquarium super cheap. How big is that prawn? It looks huge in that picture, not to mention colorful and probably lively compared to the rest of the tank. And I know what you mean about planning it out forever, I waited 1.5 years to get my first saltwater tank and when I go bigger I will probably take forever all over again. Those Marineland commercial coldwater tanks are sweet though, it's the biocube of coldwater tanks.

AquaticEngineer
Man, I really wanna set one of these up... But I'm pretty sure the woman would kill me. :D

I got one I'm trying to sell right now.....

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/bfs/2298360586.html

I didnt have to talk my wife into it to much with the first one. But when I showed up at home with a u-haul truck and 2 more just like the first one about 6months later.........well, that took some explaining. :o

AquaticEngineer
How big is that prawn? It looks huge in that picture, not to mention colorful and probably lively compared to the rest of the tank.

Yeah I took the pic when he was right next to the glass, but he was pretty big....right around 6 inches from head to tail not including his antennae.

Those Marineland commercial coldwater tanks are sweet though, it's the biocube of coldwater tanks.

Funny you say that, I tried posting my tank in the AIO section once, I dont think they like that. :lol:

kingwintergreen
Yeah I took the pic when he was right next to the glass, but he was pretty big....right around 6 inches from head to tail not including his antennae.

Funny you say that, I tried posting my tank in the AIO section once, I dont think they like that. :lol:

cool!

cool!

about new pics that is

AquaticEngineer
cool!

about new pics that is

KEN!!! You need to meet me in Oceanside, OR. on the 20th at about 7am. It will be totally worth it, I got confirmations of brittle stars and other goodies there during a -.7 tide and we will have a -1.7 tide that morning. The rock formations there are sure to have cup corals B)

YOU NEED TO COME!!!!!

It's only like a 2 hour drive for you :P

AquaticEngineer

Stopped by a local seafood market and picked up 6 live spot prawns for $4.95 :D Got em drip acclimated and in the tank but they are all still getting used to the new surroundings.

I'll snap some pics of mine tomorrow, but in case you don't know what these are here is some images I pulled off of google.

spot-prawn-picture-14957-409572.jpg

prawn1.jpg

Builder Anthony

They have pretty nice color on them.Do you think those sponges would live in a warm tank.......like the orange ones.

AquaticEngineer
They have pretty nice color on them.Do you think those sponges would live in a warm tank.......like the orange ones.

Not likely. Everything in those pictures is in temps 55 degrees and cooler the further down you go.

Builder Anthony

If you have any sponges ........could you take a picture.Im just curious if maybe some sponges are in your cold tank are in warm tanks.I just dont understand why temperture would effect a sponge.Maybe there are a few that can.

AquaticEngineer
If you have any sponges ........could you take a picture.Im just curious if maybe some sponges are in your cold tank are in warm tanks.I just dont understand why temperture would effect a sponge.Maybe there are a few that can.

Dont have any right now, I had a small explosion of a type of white spider sponge but it has since receded.

If I find any sponges during this low tide I will grab em and see how they do.

AquaticEngineer

Hey guys guess what I just got for my tank?

It rhymes with Fantastic Binge Bed ;)

Any guesses?

AquaticEngineer

I got a pair of Rock Gunnels today, big ones, and also got to see a baby rock gunnel that was so small it was still clear with just yellow eyes and was less than an inch :)

Also got some larger sculpins for my tank, and a ton of small ones for a buddy we got a bunch of the lime green ones.

More starfish, more anemones, hyrdoids, chitons, kelp crabs, tube worms, goose neck barnacles, urchins, rocks and substrate.

I'm soooo tired right now but I will get pics up in the next day or so I promise.

AquaticEngineer

Well sorry to disappoint you but I didnt get any pics taken tonight.

But I did get 45 gallons of cycled water into my second 110 gallon lobster tank, and mixed the rest up. So its up and running with water in it right now, and I was able to do a 35 gallon water change on the existing 110 and a 10 gallon water change on my small system.

I'm going to get some rock in there tomorrow and then transfer over some of the hardier stuff like the snails and hermits and start getting it cycled.

AquaticEngineer
That fish looks like its thinking "Aww ####..." :happy:

He's still kind of like that, :lol: He was only in the tank for a day before I put 3 more sculpins and 2 rock gunnels in with him.

So now that I have both of my 110's up and running, I've decided to make one of them a NPS deepwater biotope and the other a tidal Oregon Coast biotope. There is a little bit of cross over in some of the inhabitants but not much. This'll give me a few more options on livestock and tank design.

They will still be used eventually as the powerplants for filtration and cooling on the indoor tank.

Oh yeah, and the monster display tank inside the house will still be the pylon idea :D

Archived