Pod Your Reef

PNW Temperate Tanks Using Marineland Commercial Systems

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

Well I had an AWESOME afternoon having my tank filmed in HD and getting paid for it B)

IMG_20110522_164643.jpg

Cant wait to see the final product when its available :happydance:

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

Woot :D Spotted my Sarcastic Fringehead last night.

He found himself a nice rock overhang on the other side of the tank and took a chunk of shrimp out of my hand. So he's alive and eating still, I just dont get to see him very often :(

• 4 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

Guess who has several hundred, if not thousand, Strawberry Anemones......oh yeah, and a Grunt Sculpin...... :naughtydance:

AquaticEngineer

.....and plumose anemones......and brooding anemones......and 20+ Catalina Gobies.....

AquaticEngineer

I will soon :D

I'm dead tired from moving almost all the rock out of both of my tanks to make room for all the new rock and livestock.

Next project is leveling the floors in the garage and setting up my 300 gallon acrylic and plumbing the 2x110 gallon lobster tanks into it to make my final garage system.

AquaticEngineer

Heres some pics, they are quick and dirty, and everything is still adjusting after being moved, but you get the idea ;)

IMG_20110620_185332.jpg

IMG_20110620_185405.jpg

IMG_20110620_185426.jpg

IMG_20110620_185441.jpg

IMG_20110620_185512.jpg

IMG_20110620_185553.jpg

IMG_20110620_185319.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Oh man, the tanks are starting to clear up from the initial transfer and bioload jump. I'll be taking pics of mine and my friends tank tomorrow.

Oh yeah I forget to mention I also got a Hula Fish :D

Now if I can just get a school of them.......

AquaticEngineer
FTS? :D

Ooh those are awesome! Where did you get it?

I'll get an FTS tonight for sure :D

I was lucky enough to inherit the vast majority of my tank inhabitants with the exception of the ones I collected tidepooling.

Occasionally BlueZooAquatics, and Live Aquarias Divers Den get the Hula Fish in.

I'm hoping to get a bunch of them through a hookup via Australia :D

What a windfall! That's great. It seems that you've found the best collecting spot of all ;)

Let me know how your strawberry anemone do. I've had some for over two years, and while they haven't died, and they have spread a bit, and maybe reproduced a bit, each one is a lot "shorter" then when I got them from the wild. They stay open if I feed them often, but they used to stand up an inch or more. I've tried increased food, colder temps (54, down from 62), but nothing has worked to get them to be as thick and tall as in the wild. The next thing to try is darkness. I left the lights off while I was away for the weekend, and some of them were taller when I got back, so maybe that's the problem. If you're thrive and open thick and tall, let me know what you're doing.

AquaticEngineer

I'm going to hook my auto feeder into a closed loop and feed the hell outta the tank. Probably dose food at least every couple hours.

Hopefully that will do the trick with the corynactis.

Just finished with this thread. Wow! This is great stuff. I grew up in Vancouver, WA, and I've been to Newport and seen the Tidal pools.

Start charging admission... Invite local schools. LOLOL

Liz

AquaticEngineer
Just finished with this thread. Wow! This is great stuff. I grew up in Vancouver, WA, and I've been to Newport and seen the Tidal pools.

Start charging admission... Invite local schools. LOLOL

Liz

I may host the monthly meeting of the local reef club once everything is up and running, it'll be free admission, but I'll charge for livestock :lol:

I'm going to hook my auto feeder into a closed loop and feed the hell outta the tank. Probably dose food at least every couple hours.

Hopefully that will do the trick with the corynactis.

Do you have any kind of mechanical filtration on you system that will filter out food, or bioballs that would trap food? If so, does your auto feed system turn off pumps or divert water around these filters for some time period after feeding? If not do you use mostly (tropical) live rock for filtration?

AquaticEngineer
Do you have any kind of mechanical filtration on you system that will filter out food, or bioballs that would trap food? If so, does your auto feed system turn off pumps or divert water around these filters for some time period after feeding? If not do you use mostly (tropical) live rock for filtration?

I'm going to use the 2x 110 gallon lobster tanks as filters and sumps for the 300 gallon display.

When the auto feeder comes on it will divert the water that is normally coming from the lobster tanks back into themselves so that the only thing going on in the big tank is the closed loop with the auto feeder.

That will allow all the food to just circulate in the display tank without being trapped or filtered out.

AquaticEngineer

Got a bunch of cans of black pond spray foam. I did a test piece today and pushed the air out and pushed a bunch of rock salt into it after it stopped expanding.

Here's my 5 minute test rock.

IMG_20110627_203751.jpg

It actually dries kind of a charcoal gray color, which is cool since I'm trying to mimic rock from the Oregon coast. I'll be using a few shades of gray marine epoxy paint in some areas to blend the background also.

The area I'll be working on is a 66" x 36" back of an acrylic tank. I dont plan on ever removing this once its in there, so I'm going to spray foam directly onto the back of the tank. I'm going to use a few large pieces of lace rock as a support structure for a few areas.

I've read through every thread on about 6 forums that I could find, but any other tips you got I'd love to hear them.

AquaticEngineer
That's very clever. It really does mimic what the rocks look like. And that was only the 5 minute job.

I'm only clever enough to use the internet and find ideas that others have used before and manipulate them to work for my applications :lol:

Tank background should be done as of the 4th of July :D

Closed loop will be plumbed in shortly there after and then I just need to source a good price on a pair of 3 way solenoid valves and I can hook it into the other two lobster tanks.

My buddy who also has a cold water tank will be cover to BBQ with us and we'll have already gone collecting the day before. I'm bringing back a buch of native barnacle shells to adhere into the foam background while its setting. Also going to take a lot of pictures of the rock walls that are exposed during the low tide to reference back to for texture and color.

I'm only clever enough to use the internet and find ideas that others have used before and manipulate them to work for my applications :lol:

Tank background should be done as of the 4th of July :D

Closed loop will be plumbed in shortly there after and then I just need to source a good price on a pair of 3 way solenoid valves and I can hook it into the other two lobster tanks.

My buddy who also has a cold water tank will be cover to BBQ with us and we'll have already gone collecting the day before. I'm bringing back a buch of native barnacle shells to adhere into the foam background while its setting. Also going to take a lot of pictures of the rock walls that are exposed during the low tide to reference back to for texture and color.

It's still clever, even if you're just following directions. I don't really do any DIY. My moss wall method for Planted tanks is about as clever as I ever get. LOLOLOL

I can't wait to go collecting in FL, if I can. I just gotta review the rules. Been ages since I've had a fishing license.

Enjoy the BBQ. It is good to char animal flesh... YUM!!

Liz

AquaticEngineer

I'm hoping I catch some more kelp greenlings of decent size so we can BBQ them on the 4th :)

I'm hoping I catch some more kelp greenlings of decent size so we can BBQ them on the 4th :)

Hehehe... I'll probably char flesh of the bovine variety. YUM! Though anything charred will be good. :)

I'm going to use a few large pieces of lace rock as a support structure for a few areas.

Will you need to use a lot of rock to overcome the buoyancy of the foam so that the whole thing doesn't float, or is there some other way to anchor it?

Archived