ReefCleaners.org

thinking about a clam under PC's

gavin123

will take that advice, thanks corey. i am hard headed especially when what i am stating has worked for me and many of my accounts, i will be more humble in the future. never had to do lighting research before as all my accounts already had their setup.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by corey0613

here is a pic of the tank.  im not an aquarium service tech, but it seems to be doing fine to me.  lets see what you got going!

Nice tank. I like the coloring against the black background.

corey, I wont stop you from bashing anyone but you think you could edit your service tech + snowboarder remark - it might be stereotypical of some people (perhapes him) but I'm a boarder with a great education base and I find that somewhat offensive to me lol.

Nice pic ;)

Well, I am a stoner with a great education :P and a rider, I dunno bout the service tech part. I think this thread needs to NOT be replied in anymore :

ViciousFishes

Noob question here.I also wanted to get a clam for a 30gal. reef i started 3 months ago. Corals and clams need the right type of lighting correct. Preferably in the blue and violet spectrum which penetrates water much deeper and on which zooxanthellae thrives on, which in turn provides energy or food source to the host. So wouldn't you be able to get somewhat close to the same effect as MH's using more actnic 03 bulbs? For example using 3 actnics and 1 10,000k on the 96watt Powerquad, should provide plenty of the blue spectrum wavelenght (420nm) for the algae to be photosynthetic and provide energy and the 10,000k just keeps your tank from looking completely blue and let's you appreciate the colors of your corals/clams.

Excuse me if some of my light terms are incorrect. I don't know all of the lingo just yet.

The wavelength of light is very important, you are correct here.

But look at it like this... ( now I suck at analogies mind you ) ,

A steak on a grill at it's lowest setting will cook, VERY SLOWLY, but it will cook. Take the same gas, that burns at the same tempurature , but increase the amount of available gas, and what happens, your steak gets cooked much quicker.

In the case of the aquarium, the zooanthelle are producing carbohydrates as a process of photosynthesis... If the grill ain't hot enough, the zooanthelle can't cook fast enough ;)

Go back a few pages on this thread for a link regarding UV lighting in the aquarium. Intensity is also a key factor and one must look further than simply wavelengths.

wow, this stupid little thread has gotten more attention than any other in the advanced forum. now the whole site knows my idiocy. but hey bothe my clams are still doing great under PC

• 3 months later...
kris_willard
Originally posted by pyrrhus

gee, really? we didnt already come to that conclusion. PLEASE LETS THIS DEAD THREAD BE.

Howmany watts of PC was that again?

lol:D

Originally posted by pyrrhus

gee, really? we didnt already come to that conclusion. PLEASE LETS THIS DEAD THREAD BE.

amen!!

Archived