inTank Media Baskets

what to feed my anemone

RJ

I have a long tentacle anemone, my tank is about 4 months old, the anemone is about a month and doing well. I have heard that you hand feed them shrimp? I have placed formula one in there, and it closes around it. What kind of shrimp? from the fish market? raw I assume, small ones, or choped up prawns?? any suggestions welcome.

20 gal

blue damsel and a clark clown

we have a bunch of anemones in our office tank (150 gallon) and I like to get raw shrimp to pass around to them but they will eat cooked shrimp if that is all that's available.

Make sure you keep the anemone happy or it is liable to move around the tank, which can spell trouble for soft and hard corals, polyps etc..

it will eat anything....when i feed my clowns some of the brine shrimp goes to the condy's but i feed the the frozen prawn [little 1/4 ich shrimp] they seem to like it.......what kind of lighting do u have........

Anemones are usually not real picky...just make sure the size of the food is not too large for them. Actually, the idea of feeding them thawed formula 1 cubes is not a bad one. If you feed whole prey items like shrimp/squid you aren't getting a real broad nutrient source. Be sure to mix it up, and don't be afraid to mix in the formula mixtures as well. Good luck!

You do know that an LTA can get huge, right?

LTAs do well with lower light levels and are a pretty hardy anemone, but they get massive.

Here is one that a friend of mine owns in his 125.

It takes up the lower left fourth of his tank:anemone.jpg

Just something to think about. :P

Now that is massive! I think I will have a little time before mine reaches that size. I am planning on a larger tank this next fall, but want to get the basics down first. This is my first saltwater, and I definately have alot to learn, but so far so good, a few minor learning curves, but holding my own. I need to focus on lighting and a filteration. I am using your basic 20gal fresh water setup, with a upgraded bulb and filter.

I appreciate all the food help, I check this forum every morning, and have learned a ton just reading.

Thanks so much!

RJ

Hey RJ....when you say upgraded bulb, do you mean you upgraded from the NO florescent that came with the tank to another NO flourescent, or did you change out to a higher wattage light type like PC? If you are still using NO lighting you may have a problem brewing with that LTA. Although they MAY be tolerant of lower light than some other anemones, they still depend on high intensity lighting for long term survival. With a 20g tank, it would be easy to upgrade to some 55w PC lighting and really boost the light levels on that tank. I think it'd be much better in the long run if you want that anemone to stay alive. It sounds like you've got a great attitude about this reefing thing, keep researching and best of luck!

Peope speak of providing a well-varied diet, but that really isn't necessary for an anemone. It's symbotic photosynthetic plankton generate the majority of the food it needs. Meaty captured foods are really just a perk, and don't need to be scrutinized as much as food food does.

Mkramer...While I agree that much of the needed nutrition comes from zooanthic (My nickname for symbiotic algae) algae, anemones have a mouth and capture capability for a reason. I really feel that for an anemone to survive for any extebded length of time in our tanks they need to be fed real food. This is particularly true for an anemone who is expelling the algae, or bleached already.

Archived