ReefCleaners.org

Blue Ribbon Eel Project *HE EATS!*

Matt'sMax

Today I just ordered a blue ribbon eel at my LFS. We have been working in conjunction to try and make an extremely suitable home for it in my established reef. Just for some background we have deepened the sand bed and made a network of pvc for it underneath and secured the rockwork. We have a huge selection of food to try with it including shark formula, marine cuisine, arcti pods, mysis shrimp, spirulina, a selection of live freshwater fish to feed, and live peppermint and cleaner shrimp to try. Although we are aware it will be difficult, we are confident we have a good shot and would really hope we can keep it alive in order to learn more about it!

Cheers,

Matt

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thesmallerthebetter
if everyone has that attitude we'll never learn anything about it!

this is true...

if no one continued to purchase difficult non-photosynthetic corals, harly files, crinoids, moorish idols, goniporas, or even 10 years ago acroporas we never would have made the strides we did to be able to keep them today.

now there are well documented successes with all of the above, as a result of many aquarists continuing the struggle to find the proper care regimens.

good luck with your eel man, just be aware that its gonna be a long road (although i do remember reading an article about one that had been around for a year or two at the time of writing, so its not impossible by any stretch)

It's a 75 gallon reef with over 75 lbs of live rock, a 4 inch sand bed with pvc tunnels under it, an excellent skimmer, and an intake refugium. Is any other info on the tank you would be interested in knowing?

sounds really cool!! i wanted to get one but never had the balls to buy it.. im glad someone did!!

Good Luck!

steviejitsu
if everyone has that attitude we'll never learn anything about it!

kudos to you.

Good luck with the journey :)

Well as of today I went from a 2 inch sand bed to a 5 inch sand bed. Today I'm also implanting pvc tunnels for my little buddy arriving within the next couple weeks!

sounds really cool!! i wanted to get one but never had the balls to buy it.. im glad someone did!!

Good Luck!

same here, some day tho, and i'd start with a black one. good luck and keep us updated!

cheryl jordan

While I highly discourage others from purchasing this type of eel, I am glad you are doing the research and trying to provide an ideal environment for the eel.

Starting a thread was a good idea and I hope you continue it. It may help make some advances in their care and prolong their lifespan while in captivity.

Good Luck

Well I Just Implanted a network of pvc tunnels in my sandbed! SantaMonica, as known on other forums, claims is several month to years of success is greatly possible by his find that the eel only feels comfortable feeding, or just all together, when he can fully conceal his body. One step closer!

I'd never heard of these eels before. They are stunning!

Is feeding the only reason they do poorly in captivity? A quick search didn't turn up much info to explain the adamant facepalming.

Good luck with it and please keep us updated! It sounds like you've done an impressive amount of planning and I'm very curious to see how he does for you.

Awsome sounds like your taking the rights steps. Ignore anyone who's just says no. As long as you do your research = A+ and good luck!

They are difficult in a few aspects. Feeding is the major. They are very difficult to get to feed and once you have them going for several months, they could stop, just like that. These hunger strikes can make them very difficult. The most docile eater can be to aggressive for them to want to eat. They also need hiding that will conceal their whole body. There are plenty of other needs and reasons as well but those are the main ones. Yeah they are stunning! Thanks guys!

Since my sand bed is about 6 to 7 inches after adding another bag today to cover the pvc housing, the water isn't super clear. I'll take some tomorrow!

Please do correct me here if I'm wrong... but adding a thick layer of sand on top of established sand is a bad idea, no? My understanding is that it would force the aerobic bacteria into an anaerobic environment, killing them, releasing a fair bit of ammonia and other stuff you don't want in the water column. Looks like you're doing this a couple weeks in advance, so if you do encounter a mini-cycle, you'd be prepared to handle it. Phenomenal creatures... interested to see how this goes.

thesmallerthebetter

one thing id like to mention is that just about all morays are prone to hunger strikes. ive kept numerous species over the years, and in just about every case, they at one point or another decide that eating is for squares. one thing that ive had great sucess with trying in these cases is a strip of fresh dead and bleeding mackeral or sardine on a skewer. (with a water change afterwards of course). the only eel ive ever had turn that down was a 4'+ cali moray that had swallowed a lobster whole and had some intestinal distress. (no worries, he was just fine after it passed)

the best of luck to you. This is the animal in all the hobby that I personally wish we knew more about.

I actually mixed the sand together as I went, and am doing this enugh in advanced I am prepared for a many cycle.

Yes, I am aware of the hunger strikes and have a couple plans if that were to occur.

Thanks, and I absolutely agree.

Archived