Top Shelf Aquatics

Water quality

realhiphop

What type of water do you recommend in my tank. I'm aware that RO/DI systems tend to run rather expensive. I was just wondering if you had any suggestions, or tips regarding water. Also, how many powerheads and what type would you recommend in a 20L tank?

By the way, it was a great idea to start a beginner forum. I was gonna recommend it yesterday, and before I even had a chance, you had one up and running. :D

Christopher Marks

A RO/DI system is a good investment to make, but while you're beginning, money can be tight. You will still want to use RO water, but you will just need to find it elsewhere. Most grocery stores will have a RO/DI water dispenser, usually in a big fancy unit with empty gallon jugs next to it. You can get a gallon of water for about $.25 there. If you are unable to find a RO water dispenser, your LFS might offer to sell theirs for cheap.

As far as powerheads, you should use two powerheads, where their flow rate per hour is equal to about 10 times the volume of your tank.

P.S. Glad you like the new forum! I had been tossing around the idea for a few months and decided there was finally a need for it.

for a 20L you can just pickup 3~4 water bottles from a water bottler. they're usually 5 or 6 gallons. 3 jugs may be enough taking into account LR & LS but the extra can't hurt for those immediate changes during early setup.

most prices i've seen are around $0.75~$1.00+ for that way. (plus bottle deposit). get distilled water, steam distilled is the most common. it's not necessary to get glass distilled (lab quality).

chris is also correct though. ro/di water is very good too. and cheaper but i say you usually get what you pay for, and even then only if you're lucky :unsure:

welcome to an expensive and addictive hobby! it may be a different reefer but it's just as addictive! :woot:

btw, chris, i like these new emoticons! they don't seem to be working consistently though!

Christopher Marks
Originally posted by tinyreef

btw, chris, i like these new emoticons!  they don't seem to be working consistently though!

Hehehe, me too! They're not all working because I am redoing the images to get the white backgrounds out.X)

what if I end up putting distilled water in my tank, and than I come across ro/di water? am I allowed to mix the two different waters when it comes time for a water change? or to replace evaporated water?

be careful with 'evaporated water'. i'm assuming you mean de-humidifier water. that may have other leached metals depending on the type of evaporator.

glass distilled water is basically rainwater in an artificial form. steam distilled is the same concept but with contact to surfaces other than glass. de-humidified (evaporated) water depends on the model you're talking about. i equate the distilling process to the daily tropical rain showers. (natural topoffs) ;)

you can mix and match, shouldn't hurt much. always look to your livestock as the best barometers of the system. they'll 'tell' you if they don't like what's happening, real quick! ???

Well, a 10x flow rate per hour to me seems to be just fine.

Anymore than that and it seems to affect soft corals--eg Xenia, but a faster flow maybe required for other corals.

I am using RO from the LFS for my 24G.

Hauling a 30litre container of water up stairs is tough, but its needed.

I get it for £2.50 for 30litres at one LFS.

Maybe in the future I will invest in an RO unit.

Archived