SaltCritters.com

My ADA 60P. Now with 20" NEP CREE/T5 Retro

reeftankguy

I clicked your Banner... Sweet!

So what would you recomend to run this M-overflow?

I was just trying to avoid buying a pump, the ones I talk about using I have laying around my REEF junk room...

Also do you have an M-overflow? How does your inFlow Design work for you?

:happy: thanks

on mames website in Japan they recommend using a Rio +2500 for a 60cm tank that is sitting less then 110cm (just a bit over 3ft) off the ground. if thats the case it looks like the recommended flow through the return is 580gph or more.... now with that said.. i dont think you need a full 600gph for the venturi to work as i got mine working with only 300 or so gph.

going with the recommended pump size will most likely make the overflow more efficient and with the rios at $55 from marine depot they might not be a bad choice

I dont own a mame overflow and while i did try and replicate one with acrylic it broke before i even got it fully hooked up onto my system. With mine i had to increase the diameter of the venturi as it was too slow at priming the drain and the water would get close to the rim of the system before the siphon would start and that isnt good. So while i was trying to bore the venturi out the bit caught the acrylic and cracked it right down the center and thats when i took another route.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:happy: thanks

on mames website in Japan they recommend using a Rio +2500 for a 60cm tank that is sitting less then 110cm (just a bit over 3ft) off the ground. if thats the case it looks like the recommended flow through the return is 580gph or more....

Well, I just purchased a Maxi-Jet 3000 Utility Pump for $83 from amazon.com and that price includes shipping.

Specs are...

775 GPH at 0 head, 500 GPH at 4’ head.

58 Watts .96 amps

I will be running it externally as I do have a bulkhead on the sump to attach it too... I just don't want 58w heating up my water...

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to paint the stand with Gloss Black Polyurethane instead of

using Black lamanate (didnt feel like messing with it)...

BlackPolyU.jpg

Stand looks great!! I'm sure it was a helluva lot easier to work with and complete than laminate. You can always strip and go with laminate down the road.

Did you get the Maxi-Jet in and have a chance to setup the MAME?

I hope to do it this weekend... That was part of my rush to finish the stand... :D

Yes I got the MJ 3000... very nice piece of machinery...

good luck with the MAME!

Mine should be up tomorrow. Let me know how the MJ works for you. I ended up getting the Rio 3100 as it should be plenty for me I hope.

Thanks Inside!

Looking forward to seeing yours in action also...

I know what you mean about the pump... I have a control valve I plan on putting between the Pump output

and the Mame Out flow just to be safe... The MJ3000 has a 500gph @ 4ft of head...

580gph + accourding to 'imisky' post up above...

I havent setup my overflow yet. But reefbuilders did a review and stated the overflow was rated for 90-180 gph. I can't fully vouch for it until I setup...

This is as far as I got this weekend on setting up the Mame Overflow…

ADAstand1.jpg

Full stand Shot.

SumpArea.jpg

Sump Plumbing...

Valveplumbing.jpg

Flow control valves…

XsidePlumbing.jpg

External (inflow/outflow) couplers… I will spray them "Fusion" flat black

I havent setup my overflow yet. But reefbuilders did a review and stated the overflow was rated for 90-180 gph. I can't fully vouch for it until I setup...

I read that same thing but where did 580gph come from? I would get it if it could handle close to that

I read that same thing but where did 580gph come from? I would get it if it could handle close to that

I'm running a Rio 3100 on my overflow and the overflow can handle it on full blast. It gets a bit noisy with the gulping and surpling from the overflow, but there arent any problems with it.

imisky said that...

on mames website in Japan they recommend using a Rio +2500 for a 60cm tank that is sitting less then 110cm (just a bit over 3ft) off the ground. if thats the case it looks like the recommended flow through the return is 580gph or more.... now with that said.. i dont think you need a full 600gph for the venturi to work as i got mine working with only 300 or so gph.

heres the specs for the mame overflow from mame's website

[specifications]

Glass ●: hand-blown Pyrex recipe

Method ●: siphon overflow bypass system

● 10mm thick water tank for up to the edge

Adaptive water ●: 100L below (the main water tank)

Corresponding discharge ●: 6 ~ 12L / min (Please put your cock between Mameobafuro pump and flow control.)

Dimensions ● (at least): Depth 10.7 × 7.5 × height of side 16.5 (cm)

Diameter pipe drowned ●: drainage pipe outside diameter Φ13mm: Φ25mm

Outlet pipe diameter ●: Φ13mm Φ10mm inner diameter

Hose conforms ○: Φ12mm bore the drowned, Φ23mm diameter drain side

○ applied pump

Less than 110cm in height fried: 90cm ~ 60 ※ [aquarium] Riо +3100

Less than 110cm in height fried: 60cm ~ 30 ※ [aquarium] Riо +2500

Height less than 95cm deep fried: fish tank - 30cm ※] [Riо +2100

Again I was only analyzing the recommended pump to height ratio in the given recommendations from mame. This is what i would rely on rather then reefbuilders as it is manufacturer recommended pump sizes for tanks, the bottom section where I've bolded the words is what is important here. Its a great idea that you have a ball valve on the return side as it allows you to adjust it to whatever flow you need as well as play with the noise level.

so far everythings looking like its coming together great. cant wait to see it in action

Well... This is far as I got this weekend... Hooked up the Mame to the tank and stand... Only had a feew hours on sunday to work on it... Next up, a video of it in operation!

IMG_0266.jpg

Close up...

IMG_0262.jpg

Mame attached to the in/out connections...

Sorry for the Crappy pics... I took them with my iP4

Cool video! Love how clean and low profile it looks on the tank, and it's even smaller than it seems. Can you tell me which way the water flows in that small tubing that connects the return and overflow lines:

IMG_0266.jpg

That is an extremely nice and clean set up. It really wants to make me tear down mine, build a new set up and clean it up quite a bit.

The way the water flows from the tube is from the return into the overflow.

Glad to see you have it up and running...or at least testing it. Really glad you posted the video since pictures can only really depict so much. Couple of questions -

- Is the dripping noise coming from the MAME unit itself or from the the water emptying into the sump?

- Is the large bubble that you followed down the tube normal? Do they go away after running for a bit?

- What's the crazy spinning sprinkler looking attachment you have on the end going into the sump? Looks like a crazy but great idea ;)

-Adam

nice to see it running.

I also have a few questions

1. why is the drain being restricted? (becareful of this because if it gets clogged it will flood out from your overflow pipe.

2. is the return being restricted as well? (hard to tell from the video)

3. wheres the silencer on the open standpipe on the mame. that'll help you with noise.

the big bubble isnt normal. the mame system is supposed to run with a unrestricted drain and it works on the principle very close to that of a durso overflow system. Imo putting a valve on the drain is scary and asking for disaster unless you can clean the valve regularly. But other then that looks like the system is going well! keep us posted.

I moved the tank and stand to its new Place in the house... I will be making it wet with water and sand tonight!

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

nice to see it running.

I also have a few questions

1. why is the drain being restricted? (becareful of this because if it gets clogged it will flood out from your overflow pipe.

2. is the return being restricted as well? (hard to tell from the video)

3. wheres the silencer on the open standpipe on the mame. that'll help you with noise.

the big bubble isnt normal. the mame system is supposed to run with a unrestricted drain and it works on the principle very close to that of a durso overflow system. Imo putting a valve on the drain is scary and asking for disaster unless you can clean the valve regularly. But other then that looks like the system is going well! keep us posted.

Everything works great... The video is of when I first fired it up...

It is very quite after I tuned (Using the in and out Flow Regualtors) it... No bubbles etc...

Your concerns about restrictions is unmerited. I have been doing this kinda stuff for 30 years ;)

everything is looking great! im digging that mame you got there! mine is about to come in tomorrow. i can't wait to try it out!

Is it true that the mame is very quiet?

Archived